Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: five lug conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
morph
i have been around four bolt four cylinder 914 for along time.and this is the first of alot of questions.i have a complete front end off a 912.can i just use the rotor and hubfrom the 912 directly on the 71 front (914)spindle. also is the 912 front assmbly better to use (complete).also when you get the rear hubs drilled do you use drilled rotors ?or do you use a 911/912 rear rotor ? any photos i can take if needed for help
SirAndy
one of the main reasons for me to convert to five-lug was to get a more "modern" setup.

read: not quite as old ...

i don't see why one would want to put in a 912 suspension that is just as old and worn as the junk you're replacing. confused24.gif

get the latest 911 stuff that still fits and you can get your hands on, i think it bolts right on up to '89 ...

oh, yeah, the brakes are bigger now too wink.gif
Andy
fiid
Of course - Andy hasn't been able to get his brake bias right with those huge rears. I see that his car used to be orange :-)

AFAIK - you can't use 5 lug hubs on a 4 lug spindle. You could take the struts and move them accross. I don't know what stuff the 912 has on it, but you might get vented rotors out of it (better than 914). You might get bigger calipers, and you get to pick out your favorite 5 lug rears.

Modern vs not modern? The 911 got better and better stuff, and also got bigger and bigger engines. Some of it was technology advancing, but in essence the front suspension setup stayed roughly the same up to the SC - but the brakes got bigger and better. This tells me they had it about right. 914 parts are cheaper to replace but don't seem to be in any way inferior to the 911 stuff. The 911 got an aluminium crossbar, which is slightly lighter than the steel one in the 914. IMHO - the reason to go 5 lug is wheels and brakes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

On the rears - it seems there are two main options. You can redrill your hubs and get studs pressed in, or you can 914-6 stub axles, which have the correct splines for a true 911 hub. You need 914-6 rotors, which work with the standard brakes, but have 5 holes for lugs/studs.
fiid
Either way (and even for a slightly newer 911 setup - even if it's from the 80s, it is still 20-odd years old, and probably still needs bushings and bearings replaced. I intend to rebuild calipers and do new rotors and pads with the conversion when I do mine.
boxstr
I would go back and search the archives, you will find most of the answers, to your questions.
I think that most would probably want to use the newest 911 front end you can get. And you can bolt up the complete front end to your 914, rather than trying to swap 911 parts, onto 914 parts, that won't work.
CCLINFIVELUGSTUD
fiid
I would size what you need. If you are running a 2 litre - you may not need SC brakes.

Also - some of the much more recent 911 stuff won't fit on a 914. I think the SC was the last one that has stuff that will fit, but I could be wrong.

There are plenty of other threads on here- make sure you remember to turn off searchng only the last 30 days :-)
morph
ok first of all this car is not gonna be any type of screamer.the car is getting a 1.8 with a lightened flywheel (12lbs).so i dont feel i need big brakes and vented rotors.(and to be honest i really like the way fuchs look on the 914) wub.gif but it sounds from what ive heard all ready, im just gonna have to bolt up the 912 front.tomorowill be ordering all new bushings and rod ends.what real diffrence does the turbo tie rod ends make really ? and my second real big question is the rear rotors. i know i have to get the rear hubs cut and studs pressed in. do you have the rear rotors drilled too ? or do you use 911 rotors ?
fiid
Nope. Drilling rotors = bad.

Use 914-6 rotors. They have 5 holes instead of 4.

Does the 912 have vented rotors?
morph
do you loose the park brake with the 916 6 rotors ?
fiid
Nope - you are still using your standard 914-4 caliper. The 914-6 calipers were slightly bigger but are very hard to get. The majority opinion is that the 914-4 caliper is fine, plus you get to keep the parking brake.
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Jun 30 2004, 09:36 PM)
Of course - Andy hasn't been able to get his brake bias right with those huge rears. I see that his car used to be orange :-)

actually, the brake bias is now PERFECT thanks to those huge brakes in the rear!!!

no more fronts locking up first, which was my problem if you recall ...
boldblue.gif Andy
fiid
I shoudl be clear - both the 914-4 and the 914-6 parking brake will keep your parking brake.

The 911 has a different ebrake setup which can be put on a 914 - but it requires some time with the grinder to fit it on - and then you need different cables.

You can also use your front calipers on the rear - which gets you more pad size, and will lose you your parking brake. If I were you I would use the calipers you have with 914-6 rotors, and you will be in business.
boxstr
Turbo tie rod ends I think make a big difference, I have installed them on three different 914s and I felt it was well worth it.
One thing you must do is a FOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT when done with your suspension work.
CCLINSTEERINGCLEAR
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(morphenspectra @ Jun 30 2004, 08:00 PM)
... i have a complete front end off a 912

WHICH 912 ?

the very, very early (1965) 912's used a strange strut arrangement that's not recommended. when using pinchbolt struts, it's very important to verify that the balljoint hole is not worn (which they often are -- junk the strut or find a way to sleeve it...) you must verify that you are using the right kind of ball joints that match whatever kind of strut you're using.

if it's a 1976 912E - that'll work ... (you still have to pay attention to ball joints tho...)

i believe all "original series" (1965->1969) 912's had solid rotors front and back.
JWest
To add to what Rich said, 912s up to '68 had different a-arms and $150 ball joints. The ball joints inserted into the end of the arm tube and attached with two bolts, rather than the big nut like the 914 and later 911/912. This design was not as good, and that type of ball joint made the suspension feel floaty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.