Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camp Counselor Craig!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
red914
way back, when i was at camp 914, you told me about the operation to reseal the back glass. well, i tried it today, but i must have used the wrong stuff. i thought you said "goop automotive adhesive/sealant." neat stuff, but way, way too liquid to hold a bead. headbang.gif

so, now i await it to dry so as to pull it out, and try again blink.gif (to paraphrase yoda, "there is no try. only do-do." yoda had foreseen the mess i would make. part of his jedi powers).

please advise. your description of how it all comes apart was flawless, btw. thanks.
Bleyseng
I use the butyl black robe glass sealant. Much easier than any "goop"

Geoff
red914
"butyl black robe glass sealant," got it. available at my FLAPS? hardware store?
boxstr
Yes it is GOOP Automotive Contact sealant/adhesive, comes in a tube. It sounds like you may have it to warm?? If you can run cold water on the tube before using anymore give it a try.
CCLINCOOLGOOP
Trekkor
I used 3M window schtuff. Really good and easy to use.

Acetone on the painted surface to prep.

Install takes about 10 minutes, pleasant surprise. smile.gif
Bleyseng
FLAPS should carry it.

Geoff biggrin.gif
red914
yep, it was pretty warm out when i tried this. i need to get more of whatever i use, as most of the tube is now getting peeled off. ar15.gif

thanks again for all the scoop. i would post pictures of the operation, but thank heaven i don't have a digital camera. if i did, i would be too embarassed to post the pictures. biggrin.gif
ablose58
Red914, You got mail !!!!! smilie_pokal.gif AL
Dave_Darling
1/4" thick "rope" of butyl tape is the stock stuff. Works pretty well, too. Some folks like urethane sealant, I figure the fact that the butyl "gives" a little is a good thing.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 30 2004, 11:15 PM)
1/4" thick "rope" of butyl tape is the stock stuff.

agree.gif what he ^^^ said ...

works like a charme (sp?),
Andy
aircooledboy
You are makin' life harder w/o getting anything in return trying to use a caulk sealant. Urethane has it's advantages, but none that matter installing a back glass on a 914. Butyl on the other hand has many advantages in a vertical installation, and the advantage of being able to allow for the different expansion rates of metal and glass without breaking the seal. If your FLAPS doesn't have it, you local auto glass shop will.
StratPlayer
I just picked up a roll of buytl tape yesterday at a glass shop, going to tackle the rear window next week.
red914
al, i got your pm. thanks for the offer. thanks to all for the good input. i should have it back together today smash.gif , after grocery shopping with the kids, etc., etc.
red914
well, i went with the majority opinion, and stuck in the butyl rope tape. easy, once my mess from yesterday was pulled out. i was actually surprised at the ease with which every thing went back in. no spare parts! laugh.gif

again, thanks to everyone who offered up their two pennies. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.