Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on bumper back date
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
Just picked up flared 76 and looking for guidance on how to do bumper back date front and rear without drama.
Thanks
Terry
Kirmizi
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0bones&st=0
Nothing to it biggrin.gif
Mike
Vysoc
Back Dated Bumpers:

I have a 1975 that I backdated, it was not that difficult. The main thing I remember was that when it comes time to mark the holes for the bumper mounts, where the dogbones go, you need to have two people, make sure that you have the rubber piece on the top of the bumper when you size it up.

I did mine with a couple of nasty bumpers I picked up on E-Bay stripped them down and treated, primed filled holes and used a little bondo here and there on the front and back and painted them black. They were always going to be black so no big deal.

I also tried several different methods to attach the circular Fog Lights, I bought the Pilot aftermarket lights and painted them French Yellow. I tried to rivot to the box but it did not seem to be solid enough. The issue is you cannot get in behind them. I thought about it long enough and figured a way to get an open end wrench in there and I used a bolt with a lock washer and nyloc nut...there solid now.

The weight reduction is probably 40 lbs on each end.

Here are a couple of shots of the front, the rear is real easy.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Vysoc flag.gif
markb
Wow. That came out nice! beer.gif
jim_hoyland
Excellent ! smile.gif Any tips on cutting off the from trunk lip for this novice....Got the bumpers, tops, dogbones, and pilots-- ready to go; it's the cutting that I'm not sure of.

And how did you colorize the pilots ?
AZ914
Vysoc,

How did you get the wrench back in there? I ended up mounting the fogs on the angled part to the right of the light in your picture.. pain in the butt, and I don't care for it.
Vysoc
As I recall, like many Porsche projects I said to myself "how can this be that difficult". I drilled the holes, purchased a stainless steel bolt, washer, lock washer and nyloc nut. Take your spare tire out and climb in there in the front compartment. You will now see a small opening right where the front bumper 5mph shocks attached and underneath the front lights. You have a very small space that you can access the back side of the front chassis panel. I got good light in there and took my time, I held the bolt and foglight in place with my right hand/arm and I used a combination of tape, hemostats and my skinny fingers on an open ended wrench in the 1 to 2 inch rectangular opening. This would have been easier with a helper to hold the bolt and foglight in position.
I just looked at it to remind me how I did it and after you look at the opening it is not that difficult. Like any other thing on a German car you have to make a tool or really think through the process.
I have to say when I finished this and realized how solid the result, I was happy.

When I cut off the lip on the front and the small tab on the back, I have a hand grinder Makita, that can turn some serious RPMs, I put the cutting wheel that and held on tight and Carefully cut and then I bent the extra down, when I was done it looked correct then I sanded and primed and painted all the cut surfaces, it was not as difficult as it appears. If you had a pneumatic cutting blade that would be ideal.

The pilots were sprayed with that Japanese Tuner paint from Van's, it was very pricey, but I like that the color is different, and it is specifically made for lights.
Being as your Pilots are brand new just clean the lenses surface and then put a series of light coats on, I did them over several days and they really took well. I also used the vans on my Foglights on my 911SC Weissach and had enough left for my buddy's 69 911T. Very happy with the color, found the Van's paint on E-Bay.

After looking at the pictures I also cut out two pieces of metal the shape of the piece that held the 5mph bumper in place and drilled holes in them primed and painted them and put them back in to cover up the hole where the bumper came through.

Vysoc flag.gif
AZ914
Cool thx for the info. Yeah I remembre using a socket driver with 2 swivel attachments, etc.. Maybe I should have just tapped a hole in the stock location or put a nut there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.