Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Curious - how do inventory control your spares?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Click to view attachment

So, let's just suppose you're a parts whore. Not a big company that buys & sells, but a Pop organization (wife will not take part, so there's no Mom) who buys, hordes, sometimes sells, sometimes gives away - never know when you might need one of "these".

Do you have a system? Can you recommend a system?

Look, I only have about 600 spares (no body panels, glass, engines, transmissions, few suspension big parts) but they are becoming cumbersome. Most of my parts are fuel related, body fasteners, rubber, etc. You know, small parts. Most are Factory new. Some are repros (thanks Mark). A nember are laborious restorations. None are for sale, so don't ask.

My current system is to box like or related parts. Seal and apply an identifier. Also take pics of everything in each container, and track everything with Excell.

So far, I have catalogued small parts that are stored in my garage. Seems to work, but thought I'd see what the rest do.

I no longer have any six parts - gave Steve my last cooling hose so he could shine at the Parade. Few two liter parts because I'm shopping for a pristine six - doesn't matter.

The system I use catalogues (N) new, ® refurbished/rebuilt. and (U) used but not rehuilt/refurbished yet.

I pic each item in the box and rate it's condition, if not new.

Ex: Here is box A01, mixed in with the others. Next, the contents of said box.

When I use a part, I note it & delete from the original box. I never add a new part, and place a black X accross the parts removed.

It's cumbersome, so tell me what you do.
Pat
VaccaRabite
Now let me see.
I think I put it up here.... No? Huh. Maybe up in the attic. Or did I give it to Mike/Joe/Other person who may turn up at my garage...? I guess I'll just have to buy another since I need it now and can't find it.

*time passes, new part arrives, I carry it out to garage and find the old part in storage...*

Oh, THATS where I put it!

*looks at new part in hand*

DAMMIT!

I need a system... But even if I had one, the hugely little time I get to spend in the garage I try to maximize on the car, so organization rarely lasts longer then a month.

Zach

SGB
My system for keeping up with parts is to divide into front, middle, engine, and back. Pretty simple but simplified the separation and cataloging process.
orange914
The best thing that has really help me is "quality" uniform metal shelving. I knowthis may sound weird but uniformity to me helps me stay organized. It is vital for me to have:

1] deep adjustable metal shelves min. of 20" to max 30", deeper if you have access to both sides
2] maximize the height of shelve units... most people fail to take advantage of UP space and run out of room. More permanent storeage on the higher/harder to see shelves
3] for small parts I use multiple small open boxes organized in larger flat boxes that several fit in each shelf... costco is great for free custom to fit boxes!
for very small/easy to lose parts I have some harbor freight plastic divided organizer cases

We've parted several 914's over the years and each one I picked up helpful ideas. We started having a marker and zip lock bags to put small items in. For example the odd shouldered bolts for the trunk hinges or any attaching hardware like O.E. bolts and washers for a front latch. The reason I mention this is the small boxes in the larger flats display well and ez access. I tended to do them in sections like interior, exterior, engine etc...

Wish ya well
Mike
Dave_Darling
Inventory? Organization?

What are those???

--DD
Valy
The PO had a nice system. He put everything in a big crate and then he gave it to me with the teener. And added to that one spare 2.0L motor, one side transmission, transmission linkage, heat exchangers, muffler, windows, 4 new tires, some rims and a car cover.
Whenever I need some parts, I dig into the crate and usually find what I need.
Works great for me!
swl
Pat,
The first thing you need to do is admit that you have a serious problem and seek professional help. This is probably the worst indication of 914 disease that I have ever seen!

oh, BTW, how much for the fuel injectors! lol
tradisrad
You are saying that it is possible to have a system to control our spares? Then what would I do for those endless hours I spend looking for one item only to find out that is was missed in the first box I looked in?

I have put many nuts, bolts and washers in bins. Most of the other stuff is in either boxes that are somewhat organized or dumped into one of 6 or 7 large bins. I keep thinking that I need to thin out, but I guess I am a parts hoarder. I would like to have the parts more organized... maybe next week.
70_914
Big plastic totes from Walmart. Greasy things go in one, interior things stay seperate. I am too cheap to buy new or refurbished Porsche parts, so that saves me a lot of hassle.

Right now most my parts are conveniently located on the parts cars they came with...
JRust
Right now mine are spread all over my shop. I've started getting some organized but I'm not on that kick at the moment evilgrin.gif . Although it is better than it was I still spend way to much time finding little parts I need. Especially ones I know I have but can't find. Best way to find them is to cave & buy the part again. Then I trip over said part before then new on arrives WTF.gif
914werke
OMG..... yikes.gif I thought I was fairly organized screwy.gif
Talk about ANAL biggrin.gif
Rex-n-effect
Pat,
Looks like you actually have a pretty good handle on inventory, ie: locations, quantity's etc. This is what i do for a living and have for the last 32 years. I have worked dealerships and independent shops. VW, Audi, Porsche, Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, Dodge trucks, Jeep, Eagle, Subaru, Volvo, Saab, BMW, and all the Jap stuff. I think i can say that i know a little about this subject. What i know about this is hard to put down in a post. You are more than welcome to contact me and i will tell you what i know. I will PM you my home phone and you can call me.

Rex
carr914
I put Parts in Big Plastic Totes in no particular order, then I try to remember.

I'm pretty good at knowing if I have something, just OK at knowing which Tote I put it in
sixaddict
If we get organzied there will be a market crash when we all stop buying what we already have three of ! (oh....there already was.) I have more parts that are worth less than I paid than Bernie Maddof has money.......At least someone may FIND Bernie's money.

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 3 2011, 08:00 AM) *

I put Parts in Big Plastic Totes in no particular order, then I try to remember.

I'm pretty good at knowing if I have something, just OK at knowing which Tote I put it in

markb
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 2 2011, 10:24 PM) *

Inventory? Organization?

What are those???

--DD

agree.gif
Scott S
Easy... I go to our local list and throw out this email:

"Anyone need this stuff before I throw it away?"
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(swl @ Aug 3 2011, 07:12 AM) *

Pat,
The first thing you need to do is admit that you have a serious problem and seek professional help. This is probably the worst indication of 914 disease that I have ever seen!

oh, BTW, how much for the fuel injectors! lol

Oh, you haven't seen anything yet! I know guys who have 10 times, or more, what I have squirelled away.

I'm barely out of the "N" parts, and those injectors are not for sale. However, I have a batch of 10 yellow tops that will be going to Witchunter in about a week. One usually gets about 50% restorable from them, so stay tuned.
sww914
I gave them all to cliffbraun with strict orders to organize everthing ASAP!
BTW, why am I not surprised to see a box of Q tips in your garage?
draganc
QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 2 2011, 07:39 PM) *

My system for keeping up with parts is to divide into front, middle, engine, and back. Pretty simple but simplified the separation and cataloging process.

I likes this one.

dlestep
...well, in my garage, it's kind of like this...
1. engine and sheet metal under the car (which is on jackstands).
2. refurbished, new parts, electrical and mechanical, in the front trunk in marked
zip-loc baggies.
3. rubber, in the box over there, on top of that shelf against the wall.
4. tires, wheels and large body parts, on the hanging rack.
5. engine parts, in the boxes underneath that shelf over there, near the door.
6. interior parts, in the front trunk, and over there...no, up there.
7. suspension stuff and fasteners, over there in that drawer and if you turn
around, over there under wiring table, in those coffee cans. The rest is
already on the car.

r_towle
http://www.barcodelabelsoftware.net/
racerbvd
What is this "so" called organization you guys speak of??

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
OK, I too like toats, but rember to lable em where you can see em..
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

My newest trick, while I'm moving things around is to take lots of pix, a buddy who a back ground in programing, and now a contractor has been working on software that uses pix & key words to inventory my stuff.

This was a real challenge,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

but it is closer now.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jonferns
drooley.gif
Twise
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Aug 5 2011, 10:00 AM) *

What is this "so" called organization you guys speak of??

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
OK, I too like toats, but rember to lable em where you can see em..
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

My newest trick, while I'm moving things around is to take lots of pix, a buddy who a back ground in programing, and now a contractor has been working on software that uses pix & key words to inventory my stuff.

This was a real challenge,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

but it is closer now.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

DAMN DUDE... YOU WIN... I cannot begin to explain to you how much better those pictures just made me feel about my garage. Thanks...
r_towle
yup,
Byron wins for the large hoarder.

Dude, do you ever drive a porsche?

Rich
racerbvd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 5 2011, 11:19 AM) *

yup,
Byron wins for the large hoarder.

Dude, do you ever drive a porsche?

Rich

Sure do, see the Parade thread, took my Carrera & did the rally & track the 944s..
Now you guys see why I'm beer.gif beer.gif always trying to trade, as I already have too much stuff.Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Guess you guys haven't checked out my blog..
r_towle
ok, how about selling some interesting 17 inch wheels for an 84 carrera.
Looking for a matching width set for winter tires.
I have 16 inch fuchs but only summer tires seem to be available.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.