Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD's and such
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Razorbobsr
I have a HP 2L carb 44 IDF 914 that runs great above 3K, Porsche mach of some 30 yrs says I have a very solid rebuilt engine with a hotter then stock cam, the exhaust sys in too big past the collecter but header is a damn fine unit. He also says the exhaust sys has nearly no back pressure and wants to size it down from 2inch to 1 5/8 or 1 3/4, and I need to dump the TOO damn loud cherry bomb muffler. The porsche guy builds racing engines for the local Indy market, has his own dyno and flow bench, grinds his own cams, and seems to know his stuff as he only works on Porsche's. After talking to him yesterday, he thinks I also need a hotter/better eng sys, like a MSD, rather then stock 009 sys. Gents........... Your thoughts??? Questions?? Bob
J P Stein
I could bore you to tears with the why/fors of using an MSD *set-up* but will just generalize.

Carbs need to run rich to force a flat Porsche engine to run properly.
Throw in a hotter cam & it gets worse....particularly on the idle circuit(below 3500ish rpm)

With the proper MSD (or its ilk) set-up.....which includes a hot coil, fat wires, and wide gapped plugs.....will "burn throgh" this rich mixture.

The distributor is your problem. I would recomend talking to Mr. Raby for his recommendtion (I doubt that is a 009) cause I don't know shit about T-4s.
carr914
On my past 4 cyl cars, I used the MSD Igntion, MSD Coil & MSB Billit Dizzy. It worked well as a system and eliminated all the flat spots

T.C.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 4 2011, 10:17 AM) *

I could bore you to tears with the why/fors of using an MSD *set-up* but will just generalize.

Carbs need to run rich to force a flat Porsche engine to run properly.
Throw in a hotter cam & it gets worse....particularly on the idle circuit(below 3500ish rpm)

With the proper MSD (or its ilk) set-up.....which includes a hot coil, fat wires, and wide gapped plugs.....will "burn throgh" this rich mixture.

The distributor is your problem. I would recomend talking to Mr. Raby for his recommendtion (I doubt that is a 009) cause I don't know shit about T-4s.

Why do you doubt its a 009?? Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 4 2011, 10:47 AM) *

On my past 4 cyl cars, I used the MSD Igntion, MSD Coil & MSB Billit Dizzy. It worked well as a system and eliminated all the flat spots

T.C.
OK, but why did it? Were yours a HP engine? Bob
J P Stein
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Aug 4 2011, 07:50 AM) *

T.C.

That would require the long version.

OK another short one. Crack open your carb's butterflies & look down one hole. That 6ish inches you see above the intake valve is all a carb gets to make the mixture correct for that hole throughout the whole rev range. Carbs can't do it. A big, hot, multi spark compensates.

Re Raby: I read his stuff
kevin311
Whatever you end up doing ignition wise just make sure that 009 is properly installed in the nearest garbage recepticle when your done so no other poor soul ends up with it. biggrin.gif
People with more knowledge than me will let you know your options.
Kevin
rick 918-S
Multiple discharge Spark units aid in firing a wet or large droplet fuel charge at low to mid RPM range. Not needed in alot of applications when good fuel atomization is part of the equation and spark charge is hot and fat. But Carbs tend to be hard to balance across the range. Often they end up fat with fuel in the low to mid range with hi lift short duration carb cams. This is fine if you can keep the plugs firing until you get the engine up in the balance zone. That's where MSD plays a roll. I think... unsure.gif
Ductech
From my knowledge i gained watching a friend fuck around with an msd on an old subaru motor and countless ford v8's.... MSd Cap discharge igniton MOstly will just fire the shit out of your plugs. It should if i remember, increase the sparking duration and increase the strength of the spark.... It will also eat up most stock distrubtor caps and rotors quicker than stock ignition setup. Although for your issues your trying to relieve it might just be the thing you need. I would take someone else's advice and ditch the 009 and get a mallory or msd distrubtor, whoever makes one that fits.

HAM Inc
On our 1.8 F-Prod engine we ran with a MSD 6-AL and also tried the comparable Mallory with our mallory dist. After we fell out of a race at Barber (while leading) when the mallory box crapped out I rigged up a back-up ignition system that used just a coil and no MSD box. We could switch it on the fly so next time the box crapped out (as they are prone to do from time to time in race cars) we could at least keep racing.

When Jake and I dynoed the car the first time with the two systems in place (which included the new 6-AL) we switched on the fly and the MSD box showed 0% more torque from 5000-8000rpms. That's Zero torque increase. The two graphs lay right over each other. And this was on his chassis dyno that has repeatability within 1%. We were so surprised by this that we did multiple runs and tried different timing for the two systems and the results were the same.

I removed the box and sold it. Less crap to fail and less wt to carry.

At the '05 runoffs the Finch FP car (winner that year) had a 009 with tiger-stripe points! Jake and I saw it with our own eyes.

I'm not saying the msd boxes don't have their place, but our testing on our 4cyl race car at our revs (with 12.7:1CR) showed it was no help at all.
That's my .02 worth.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Aug 4 2011, 02:51 PM) *

On our 1.8 F-Prod engine we ran with a MSD 6-AL and also tried the comparable Mallory with our mallory dist. After we fell out of a race at Barber (while leading) when the mallory box crapped out I rigged up a back-up ignition system that used just a coil and no MSD box. We could switch it on the fly so next time the box crapped out (as they are prone to do from time to time in race cars) we could at least keep racing.

When Jake and I dynoed the car the first time with the two systems in place (which included the new 6-AL) we switched on the fly and the MSD box showed 0% more torque from 5000-8000rpms. That's Zero torque increase. The two graphs lay right over each other. And this was on his chassis dyno that has repeatability within 1%. We were so surprised by this that we did multiple runs and tried different timing for the two systems and the results were the same.

At the '05 runoffs the Finch FP car (winner that year) had a 009 with tiger-stripe points! Jake and I saw it with our own eyes.

I'm not saying the msd boxes don't have their place, but our testing on our 4cyl race car at our revs (with 12.7:1CR) showed it was no help at all.
That's my .02 worth.

That makes perfect sense. The MSD is only effective and functioning at low and mid RPM's. I think you guys were looking for something measure-able in a controlled environment that simply isn't there. It's not a HP enhancer like NOS or water injection.

On a race engine that is well tuned and not idling through traffic or running long distances at say 15-1800 RPM's around town, the plugs will not have a fouling effect or cylinder loading.

Drag cars benefit the most from the use of an MSD as they go from staging with huge amounts of raw fuel being dumped into the cylinders to WOT and the need for instant precision cylinder work.

On a track car the only benifit would be to keep the plugs clean while idling around some off track excursion that the saftey crew is cleaning up. The noticable gain will be experienced when you dash for the first turn at green flag time.
J P Stein
+1
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 4 2011, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Aug 4 2011, 07:50 AM) *

T.C.

That would require the long version.

OK another short one. Crack open your carb's butterflies & look down one hole. That 6ish inches you see above the intake valve is all a carb gets to make the mixture correct for that hole throughout the whole rev range. Carbs can't do it. A big, hot, multi spark compensates.

Re Raby: I read his stuff
Raby stuff, where do I find it? Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 4 2011, 12:46 PM) *

Multiple discharge Spark units aid in firing a wet or large droplet fuel charge at low to mid RPM range. Not needed in alot of applications when good fuel atomization is part of the equation and spark charge is hot and fat. But Carbs tend to be hard to balance across the range. Often they end up fat with fuel in the low to mid range with hi lift short duration carb cams. This is fine if you can keep the plugs firing until you get the engine up in the balance zone. That's where MSD plays a roll. I think... unsure.gif

Thats part of our prob, fat mix at one rpm level[low] lean at higher. This guy knows more than most and I dont think kes that keen on spending MY money foolishly. Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Aug 4 2011, 03:51 PM) *

Not looking for more HP, just want spark that will better allow us to set up carbs across the driving range, and not foul plugs. Bob
That's my .02 worth.

carr914
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Aug 5 2011, 07:37 AM) *

Raby stuff, where do I find it? Bob

From Jake - he advertises here
Jake Raby
We stopped selling ignition components 3-4 years ago retail. We of course still install them on turnkey engines. Selling ignition components retail is like asking for customer relations nightmares.

Capacitive Discharge Ignitions have a place with these engines, however until you reach 12:1 CR the benefits are not as great. With CR in the 13-14 range I have had to use them, because with CR increases the load on the ignition system also greatly increases.

A CDI system will allow more spark plug gap to be ran and will generally equate to smother performance at lower RPM. Note that "MSD" only allows for multiple spark discharge at below 3K RPM.

Typically a quality CDI unit will give 4HP and 6 lb/ft of torque in a 150HP 2270cc Engine. When applied to my 175HP 2270cc Performer we can see up to double those figures across the board.

The higher the CR and better the chamber filling the more benefit you will see from more intense ignition.
Jake Raby
We stopped selling ignition components 3-4 years ago retail. We of course still install them on turnkey engines. Selling ignition components retail is like asking for customer relations nightmares.

Capacitive Discharge Ignitions have a place with these engines, however until you reach 12:1 CR the benefits are not as great. With CR in the 13-14 range I have had to use them, because with CR increases the load on the ignition system also greatly increases.

A CDI system will allow more spark plug gap to be ran and will generally equate to smother performance at lower RPM. Note that "MSD" only allows for multiple spark discharge at below 3K RPM.

Typically a quality CDI unit will give 4HP and 6 lb/ft of torque in a 150HP 2270cc Engine. When applied to my 175HP 2270cc Performer we can see up to double those figures across the board.

The higher the CR and better the chamber filling the more benefit you will see from more intense ignition.
yeahmag
The biggest reason I run them is for the soft rev limiter function...

That being said you will never foul a plug and a carb'ed car starts much easier. I run the Mallory 6AL so I can just dial in the rev limit without having to buy pills (like the MSD) and I've never had one fail.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Aug 5 2011, 01:43 PM) *

The biggest reason I run them is for the soft rev limiter function...

That being said you will never foul a plug and a carb'ed car starts much easier. I run the Mallory 6AL so I can just dial in the rev limit without having to buy pills (like the MSD) and I've never had one fail.

Plug fouling has been another prob, keep the revs above 3 k and NP, below that and plugs start to fouling around town. Bob

yeahmag
I run these plugs as they are pre-gapped at .045":

NGK B6ES-11

-Aaron
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 5 2011, 08:55 AM) *

The porsche guy working on my engine is not looking for HP, got plenty of that it seems. We are trying to get better low end smoothness/combustion/and consistent carb mixing and across the rpm bands. He has his own dyno/flow bench,grinds his own cams, would seem hes knows his stuff??? U think? Farmersautomotive.com ot of Indy Bob
r_towle
If you re-read what Rick said....your lower RPM problems are where the multiple discharge systems really works well with our motors.

I would be inclined to agree with your mechanic that you may need this type of system to solve some of your issues.

The 009 distributor is also partly to blame for a big flat spot and wierd running conditions.
That distributor does not have an advance curve that matches our motors, its an compromise at best....a boat anchor to most.
Consider getting a re-done and setup distributor from http://www.tangerineracing.com
Chris Foley can help you get the correct ignition setup for your needs....a fellow HP guy with plenty of time in the seat of hopped up 914's.

rich
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Aug 4 2011, 09:20 AM) *

I have a HP 2L carb 44 IDF 914 that runs great above 3K, Porsche mach of some 30 yrs says I have a very solid rebuilt engine with a hotter then stock cam, the exhaust sys in too big past the collecter but header is a damn fine unit. He also says the exhaust sys has nearly no back pressure and wants to size it down from 2inch to 1 5/8 or 1 3/4, and I need to dump the TOO damn loud cherry bomb muffler. The porsche guy builds racing engines for the local Indy market, has his own dyno and flow bench, grinds his own cams, and seems to know his stuff as he only works on Porsche's. After talking to him yesterday, he thinks I also need a hotter/better eng sys, like a MSD, rather then stock 009 sys. Gents........... Your thoughts??? Questions?? Bob

Porsche guy from Indy called to let me know I could have the car back, good news! Bad news?? After playing with the engine for several hrs[$$$$] and re-jetting carbs, he has concluded that the PO had some serious cam in the car, pulls hardest above 3500 rpms, willingly revs above 6500, idles at about 1100 to 1300. Now he tells that its almost as smooth as an injected 2L[Almost] He seens to be pretty anal about things[and I mean that in the best way!] He replaced the cherry bomb muffler with something smaller that 2 inch[in] and 2 inch[out] and I think he said 1 5/8 ?? He says these engines must have back pressure to run correctly[Right?] And a 1 5/8 exhaust tip, welded the bolts to the header to ease placement, installed a second hanger for the system, he also says moving the car from the FL coast to Indy area may have played a part in the jetting[??] probs. Also installed MSD unit, he says it made a BIG difference in how the car ran, and made it easer to keep plugs cleaned off? Ok gents, and I getting hose and smoked?? Thanks, Bob
Mike Bellis
I'm running 4 of them in a direct fire setup. Way overkill but no more fouled plugs. I removed the idle control valve from my turbo engine and that makes the mixture rich at low rpm. I kept fouling plugs, but no more. In my direct fire mode I can get the MSD to work much higher than 3000rpm since it is only firing one plug each. The MSD is ultimately limited to internal capacitor time constants; The time it takes to charge and discharge. At the cylinder triggers increase with rpm, the MSD cannot charge and discharge the capacitor as multiples and reverts to single spark.

Click to view attachment
brant
I'm only running 2 of them

I've carried a spare for 6-7 years now to the track
have never needed it.

brant
HAM Inc
In my direct fire mode I can get the MSD to work much higher than 3000rpm since it is only firing one plug each. The MSD is ultimately limited to internal capacitor time constants; The time it takes to charge and discharge. At the cylinder triggers increase with rpm, the MSD cannot charge and discharge the capacitor as multiples and reverts to single spark.

I had figured that this was likely correct when we did the testing on our 1.8l F-Prod car.
For our hi-rev (5,000-8,000) race application running a distributor and even with a high-turns coil there simply wasn't enough time (expressed chronologically) to fire the multiple sparks over 20 crank degrees's.

Direct fire using COP's would likely really benefit from the MSD's.

But to be honest I (personal opinion being expressed here) am very leary of them (and all electronics) on a race car. I do everything I can to keep the electronics simple and to a minimum, use high quality parts (if it comes in a white box it goes into the trash with the white box ((Cole-Hersee makes excellent switches of all kinds and Hella makes a great, high quality master kill switch)) ) 3m terminals with the right crimping tools, shrink wrap and strain relief all leads, regular applications of silicone spray and say many prayers to whomever is listening up there before each race.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Aug 13 2011, 06:43 AM) *

But to be honest I (personal opinion being expressed here) am very leary of them (and all electronics) on a race car. I do everything I can to keep the electronics simple and to a minimum, use high quality parts (if it comes in a white box it goes into the trash with the white box ((Cole-Hersee makes excellent switches of all kinds and Hella makes a great, high quality master kill switch)) ) 3m terminals with the right crimping tools, shrink wrap and strain relief all leads, regular applications of silicone spray and say many prayers to whomever is listening up there before each race.

I must agree here. I may opt to go with GM LS1 coils and dump the MSD's. I have to install my new 2000cc injectors and see how the engine responds to new fuel maps first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.