Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Wax/Polish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
Just got back from Auto Zone to get some wax/polish. There are too much choices! Each brand says "We are the Best!" Can someone recommend a good wax/polish for my tenner?

Thank you in advance.
infraredcalvin
Finally something I can contribute without sounding like a total dumbass compared to the expertise on this forum.

You've touched upon a subject that will have as many opinions as what kind of oil to use...

My best friends dad collects cars - has over 75, and most are worth over 500k, some worth several million. They have had several full time detailers in their shop and I have had this conversation with them many times. The majority of what they all used is a 3m product, and they custom mix to their liking. In a pinch they've gone to the old reliables, meguires and mothers (in that order). The bottom line is that those two have arguably the biggest r&d budgets (as well as marketing budgets) around. Would be hard for any small co that has not ripped off the formulas/ingredients as a basis for what they make.

Be aware that they make different lines that are meant to work with each other, and are designed for different types of paint. Do not use a mothers cleaner with a meguires polish and so on.

I use meguires, and buy the 3 stage system - cleaner, polish, wax. Gives the deepest shine IMO, but the cleaner and polish may take off some paint if you're not careful. Clay bars are good for major contaminant cleaning.

The application is just as important as the wax. Follow directions. Both meguires and mothers have a help line and website that are very helpful, you can even get recommendations for a particular issue you are trying to address.

Spend the $$ on the right system for your paint, and plan to spend the majority of your day doing it right. Keep a bottle of their quick detail on hand to quickly get bird crap and bugs between waxings. Plan on a full wax as above every 6 months or so, until you have a maintained appearance and feel you like, then adjust as needed.

I sound like an ad for them, sorry. Hope it helps!

tod914
I just switched over to 1Z Einszett polish and wax. Real happy with the results. Suppose to last abit longer than the PS21 wax. Still can't beat the PS21 paint cleaner though. TC's Garage has real good prices on these. Purchased mine through Detailer's Domain. Don't forget the clay bar too.. makes the surface nice and smooth for the other applications. Avoid the Mequires one though.. leaves a residue.
underthetire
I use Nu-Kote. Maybe not the best wax, but it lasts longer than most i've found.
tradisrad
Try TR3 then wax.
blitZ
I like Klasse, it's leaves a very glossy finish and is easy to use. It appears a little pricey, but a little goes a long way. Probably use 1/2 oz or less to do a 914.

Klasse
Phoenix-MN
Let the flames start stirthepot.gif I use NU Finish on all my cars. It works extremly well on my black car with no swirl marks or streaks. And it's cheap

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
matthepcat
Clay bar your car, then use a lite cleaner wax, and then a synthetic.

Make sure to seal the paint with Paint Guard Plus by Ultima : http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-1012-100.html

Best discovery I have made in paint care so far. (the bottle shown will last MANY applications, as only one light mist on the included applicator will cover the area off your door)

Matt

tod914
Quite a few of the "inexpensive" products are quite good. Really like the Mequires scratch remover mixed with the PS21 paint cleaner; 50/50. Does a fantastic job. Want to try those Wolfgang products at some point too.
pyolet
I'll recommend "Zymol HD Cleanse" followed by "Zymol Carbon" paste wax.

Several basket case, chalky car/boat paint jobs I've done with it end up looking like new paint and it lasted a long, long time. No machinery required.

I'm not a dealer, just a satisfied customer. Your results may vary.

Woody.
budk
I'm a big fan of Poor Boy's World Products - mostly sold online. They have a full range of products and a good support forum.
http://www.poorboysworld.com/
beer.gif
draganc
I used http://www.5starshine.com/ on my station wagon about 3 years ago and still looks great.

I washed, clayed and polished my car before applying their paint protection, which took me about 5-6 hours for the complete wagon but it was worth it.

Since I applied the paint protection I have only used the cheapest car wash (important not to use any wax!!) and the car looks great after each wash. It sounds too good to be true, but that stuff really works.

Dragan
Mike Bellis
Damn, now I have to paint my car sad.gif
simonr
I use the WAX SHOP hd super glaze Its what they use on the indy cars. easy on, easy off, knee deep shine . Its by far the best ive used,.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.