Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: boxster novel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
found a boxster on ebay with the following description. a bit like a novel, but it's poetry in motion.............if i ever sell anything on ebay again, i am going to hire this guy for my item description.

"Originally launched in 1997 with a 2.5 litre engine, Porsche enthusiasts demanded more power, and they got it, but to be honest, every Boxster ever produced is a masterpiece of engineering. Both two seater Porsches are so much more than a quick blast to 60mph. There are people who wonder how the little Porsche's can cost as much as they do, but we reckon those people have never driven one. Both the standard car and the S are so much more than their component parts, adding up to an unbeatable package. Drive one, and you'll want one - its as simple as that. So don't even think about taking a test drive for fun; not unless you're prepared to put your hand in your pocket. Sit in any Boxster and your immediate impression is that it's a quality car. We've heard some drivers describe it as aging, but we prefer to think of the cabin, which is shared with its big brother the 911, as classic. Everything is to hand, the typically Porsche instrument console is shielded by the trademark eyebrow, and the seating is comfortable and supportive. The quality of fittings is good, and switchgear feels just right, The sculpted, leather sports seats are supportive and you get a feeling of being snugly held in a solid, tactile environment; and if you've opted for one of the many combinations of leather trim, that feeling of quality is enhanced further. But adjust your driving position, perform your pre-ignition checks, and turn that key. The sound is simply beautiful. Depending on whether the roof is up or down, you get a different experience. Roof down, you're out in the open air, and the predominant noise is that of the deep throated exhaust expelling the gasses from the large flat six engine. With the top up, the engine itself makes more of an impact, with the exhaust noises underlining the sounds from the incredibly complex power-plant that sits just behind the front seats. But either way the sound is just fantastic; Porsche engineers have created an amazing experience for owners even before first gear is engaged; and those we've talked to never tire of the engine's note, and many rarely use their stereos lest they detract from the music playing behind them. We're left wondering whether all this is just a side effect of the engine's location in front of the rear wheels, or a carefully tuned symphony that took thousands of engineering hours to perfect. Knowing the precision of Porsche, it's probably the latter. But it wasn't made for sitting on the drive, so engage first gear and set off to find out how it goes. Immediately you notice the weight of the controls - the clutch takes a little more pressure than most cars, and the steering requires some effort because the power steering is set at a level that allows you to feel the feedback from the road. When it's time to brake the pedal needs a firm press, despite the large six pot red calipers and drilled disks fitted all round on our S. The gear lever is tactile, and requires some pressure to move it from point to point. But it's precise so there's no worry of selecting the wrong cog, even on the six speed box. But we digress. As we move on to the open, road second gear is quickly selected (without incident) and as we press the accelerator hard, the car literally surges up to 70 mph which it reaches just before the redline in second. You can feel the push in your back, hear the exhaust note increase to a rage, and watch the scenery rush past. Breathtaking. In third gear its a similar story, and there are three more gears to go. By this point the driver's got a huge grin and is just loving the whole experience - the quality surroundings, the feel from the road that's coming back through the wheel and the seat, and the sounds that are emanating from the rear of the vehicle. Third gear is in fact the optimum one for most open road conditions. Going up to fourth on long straights; fifth gear is reserved purely for motorway work, where the longest gear will let you cruise all day long at legal speeds, with the engine simply ticking over at about 3000rpm. For many the ultimate thrill of the Boxster is its unbelievable handling. Many Porsche experts are beginning to admit, as we have suspected for some time, that the Boxster is actually the best handling car in the current range . The mid engine gives it a balance that 911s don't quite have; and it has sublime balance through corners. The 911 has more ability to power out of bends, with the back end sitting down to the road for maximum power delivery, but the Boxster somehow feels more manageable at the limit. Of course there's no way the Boxster is a 911 beater and we'd be crazy to pretend that it was; even the bottom of the current 911 range has a lot more power than the Boxster and the top end 911 twin turbo has almost twice as much. But you would never convince us that the Boxster isn't just as much fun on the public roads as the fastest 911 you can buy. (Though we will admit that on the track it's a different story). Backing up the sublime handling provided by the stiff chassis and fine 17" alloy wheels fitted to our boxster, we had the optional PSM or Porsche Stability Management system. We say optional, only because you have to pay more to get it; for most drivers it's not an option, it's an automatic choice. In an age where many budget cars, costing less than half the price of the Boxster, are coming with traction control or even stability control as standard, the price seems high. And many object to having their driving experience controlled by a computer. But PSM is different to most systems on the market. Its traction control allows a limited amount of wheel spin before it kicks in, and the active yaw control allows large a degree of movement before taking corrective action. You can therefore get a bit of fun from the Boxster without any electronic intervention. In fact, if you're a smooth driver, you're unlikely to ever use your PSM on the road, but it's ever so nice to know that it's there, just in case. Don't expect it to resolve any situation of course - it's only a computer that can cleverly brake one of the wheels, and take over the electronic throttle when it spots you have gone ever so slightly over the edge; there are limits to what it can do, so it's still possible to lose the car when the unexpected happens. But for many minor lapses of judgement, where you've gone just that little bit beyond the mechanical limits of the car, it's the best value option on any Porsche ever. Reliability of the cars is very good But take it from us, do not, under any circumstance drive one of these cars unless you're prepared to buy one. Giving back the keys will be too painful to bear. "

Vehicle Condition

Exterior:Excellent condition. Paint:Excellent condition, smooth and glossy. Bumpers:Excellent condition.Seats:Excellent condition, leather is soft and supple. Carpet:Clean and fresh. Headliner:Excellent condition. Windshield:Clear with no cracks.
WoMBaT
Get his name...we have some awards that need to be written here in Iraq! ar15.gif
TROJANMAN
i think someone here was lookin for a writer to write a WCC story. you should scout this guy out. give him a few facts and he'll give you 12 chapters.
He sounds like J. Pertermen.
Gint
Give us the link?
RAR
I could feel the elephants thunderous bulk through the cracked dry earth of the Serengetti Plain. In another moment they'd be upon me. Their breath stunk of swamp water as their trunks, but inches from the back of my neck, spewed their hot breath upon me. A flash of razor sharp ivory swept into my periphery. I slammed the Porsche Boxster throttle pedal to the floor just in the nick of time, leaving the ponderous pachyderms in my wake of dust.
"Porsche, there is no substitute."

Wanted: Urban Sombreros in good condition.
Howard
QUOTE(RAR @ Jul 1 2004, 04:02 PM)
I could feel the elephants thunderous bulk through the cracked dry earth of the Serengetti Plain. In another moment they'd be upon me. Their breath stunk of swamp water as their trunks, but inches from the back of my neck, spewed their hot breath upon me. A flash of razor sharp ivory swept into my periphery. I slammed the Porsche Boxster throttle pedal to the floor just in the nick of time, leaving the ponderous pachyderms in my wake of dust.
"Porsche, there is no substitute."

Wanted: Urban Sombreros in good condition.

By God, that brought a tear to my eye!

How about one in romance novel cliche? Must use petulant and thrusting at least once.

"914world.com, there is no substance abuse here."
Rusty
Well written. Some paragraphs might have been nice, though. Can we get this guy to help with the WCC article? clap56.gif

QUOTE(WoMBaT @ Jul 1 2004, 10:29 PM)
Get his name...we have some awards that need to be written here in Iraq!  :shoot2kill:

Don't get me started. smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.