Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I wrong? Ebay shipping rant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
So I won a transmission on ebay. The listed shipping was $54 and change. I "bought it now" based on the total and today I get contacted by the seller telling me that the shipping is actually $40 more. Almost 100%. I replied that I am not OK with sending him more $$ as that was not the advertised amount and I bid on the tranz based on the damn info provided.

Am I wrong? I have not gotten a reply yet, but I am pissed that he had the balls to email me expecting almost twice the shipping. dry.gif
Spoke
My experience with ebay both as a buyer and seller is that you can make a good bit on shipping.

I've never seen anyone jack up the shipping after the sale. That is just wrong.
SLITS
Ask him to cancel the sale as the unit is not worth the additional shipping.

I research the shipping cost prior to listing. If it comes to more for something I missed, I eat the difference.
rick 918-S
All you can do is trash his rating.
wingnut86
you can trash his rating AND report it through ebay.

They have become suddenly more responsive to issues since the FBI or whoever started crawling up their bootyshake.gif due to some interesting ignorance on their end, no pun intended.

I bought your DVD so I'm FIRMLY behind you DOC happy11.gif
SLITS
Doc likes guys behind him!
Dr Evil
He responded saying that they were extra careful with the packaging, but that he would honor the original price if the extra was a problem. I asked that he honor the price. rolleyes.gif

Near 100% difference? headbang.gif
Dr Evil
That is all fine and good, but why should I foot the extra $40 rather than he foot the $40 from the price I paid for the part?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 4 2011, 04:13 PM) *

That is all fine and good, but why should I foot the extra $40 rather than he foot the $40 from the price I paid for the part?

I just had a similar issue with my Flywheel with a guy out of San Francisco. Once everything 'cleared' and he was ready to ship it, he decided I owed him 20 more for shipping when it was listed as 'free shipping' on top of the fact that he snuck in the shipping to the Moneybookers invoice, which I had already paid. In effect, i ended up paying for the shipping as it was originally on the invoice, but he still claimed that I owed him.

montoya 73 2.0
I'm on your side Doc! This is exactly why I have not bought through ebay in awhile. I am also starting to get pissed with paypal.
shoguneagle
Doc,

I think you are "right" concerning the shipping costs requested increase. I would have checked to see what the actual cost was and if it was higher than quoted, I would consider paying the verified difference. A lot would depend on how the supplier approached me and the circumstances around the transaction. Just to accept his demand to pay nearly twice original quote I would not do without the foregoing. If he became difficult and would not ship without the increase payment, I would open up a formal complaint with E-Bay and get resolution that way. No way would I agree to accept cancelation of the transaction.

Steve Hurt
Mike Bellis
I sold an electric scooter that belonged to my Grandfather. I used Ebay's freight calculations. The shipping said $300. Sold the scooter for $900, dude paid the shipping. When I went to drop it off at the freight place the said I owed another $200. I asked the guy to pay it or I would give a refund. He paid, it shipped. After he got it he was very pleased. Very nice almost new powered scooter. I then got another bill from the freight place for another $160. They said it was due to excess weight. I paid it myself.

I will never ship another item that I cannot drop of at UPS or USPS. Ebay's freight calculator is fucked up.
hot_shoe914
You did the right thing Mike. It is not your fault he doesn't know how to properly charge for shipping. You paid what he had posted in the ad, that's all he should get.
reno_914
I have bought almost 100 items on e-bay and have never had a problem, always check the seller rating, the people with the 99-100 percent positive feedback will almost always work with you to keep you happy.
Eric_Shea
Enrique, Slits and Evil... you guys owe me an additional $100.00 each in freight charges. dry.gif
scotty b
You place a value on an item in a " bidding war " based on information provided to you by the owner of the item. His f-up not yours.

Ruling for the ....... unsure.gif .......well which one of you is sueing the other ? ?
JRust
Typical ebay shipping crap. Thier calculator's suck too. I never use them. I figure the weight of an item & check shipping to different states. I take the worst quote & add $5. Then refund the difference if it is over $5. I have gotten screwed before by guestimating. It's all about communication though. If I sold something on ebay & then found out the shipping had gone up by alot. Depending on what I sold. I might approach the buyer & say hey this shipping has gone insane. Any chance you can at least help me some on the difference? Again that would all depend on the part. Sucks when you sell some $30 item & it costs more than that to ship it dry.gif
sww914
I've eaten shit from ebay's calculators as a seller enough times to know that you have to pad the amount by at least 10%. Now I add a buck or 2 or 20 to the shipping calculator so that I don't have to either eat the difference (that's what I do) or ask the buyer for more money.
He should have researched it better and you did the right thing.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I ship only USPS, Even if I have to pay a oversize rate . Consoles are big and

bulky but light. UPS,FEDX, are ridicules. For real big Grayhound , if one is close

for pick up. Dave slap.gif
PRS914-6
Tough call.....e-Bay has really changed the rules. Now you pay their nearly 10% seller fees on the shipping cost as well as the Paypal fees for a total of almost 13%. To be clear, about 13% on the TOTAL amount of money sent you is deducted.

This gets rid of the guy selling an expensive item for $1 and charging $200.00 for shipping but screws the rest of us

I sent them a complaint about the shipping fee rules. I frequently send flat rate boxes overseas and I have to jack up the shipping price to compensate for their shipping commission. Now I add a "handling fee" to cover that but I have to pay commission on that too.....endless battle

Personally, both selling and buying I view a listing as a contract to be held by both. There are times when I made mistakes and ate it. There were times when the buyer made mistakes and they ate it. However, sometimes if I get a deal that is unbelievable and there was clearly a major mistake, I'll offer to split the difference if doing so still makes it a good deal. Sometimes, they just cancel the transaction.......

Dr Evil
The guy has 100% positive in the three digits. The transmission cost plenty that a $40 loss to him would not be catastrophic. I have sold on ebay a lot over the years. Initially I would estimate and if over, refund, if under, suck it up.

These days, I tend to suck it up, but that is why I dont list anything for $.99 as I dont want to have to pay to ship something to someone and make nothing on it.

Shipping calculators suck. Period. I have not had them be correct, or even in my favor, once. On big items I ALWAYS verify shipping before they bid. I stipulate such. I tend to give free shipping and offer the item as a higher cost to cover the difference. People, myself included, hate to have the final price in limbo. One price is much easier.

We shall see if it arrives rolleyes.gif
r_towle
not sure of the real deal, but if shipping costs 94 bucks that is what is costs.
I dont sell on ebay, to many fees, but I always pay actual shipping charges and I pass along those charges if someone buys something from me.
The prices change so fast based upon fuel, neither the buyer or the seller can really know the actual shipping price until it is charged.

Rich
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 5 2011, 08:51 AM) *

Shipping calculators suck. Period. I have not had them be correct, or even in my favor, once.

I agree....When I sell, I make it a flat rate cost in the USA (USPS or UPS) based on assuming I will have to ship from California to New York. You break even across the country and make a little when local.

When I buy, it's on the seller to comply with his calculator
Valy
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 4 2011, 03:26 PM) *

you can trash his rating AND report it through ebay.

You should also post the seller name here so others won't fell for his tricks.
SirAndy
Not eBay, but i recently purchased a rater large item from a seller on the Pelican BBS.
The price for the item was $350 and the final shipping costs caught both of us by surprise. $120 ...

The seller offered me (without me asking!) to split the costs as he was as surprised about the high shipping cost as i was.
thumb3d.gif

Bottom-line, this stuff happens. You price something out and when the time comes to actually ship, you might end up having to pay double than what you thought.

There's always to sides to a story ...
stirthepot.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Aug 5 2011, 09:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 5 2011, 08:51 AM) *

Shipping calculators suck. Period. I have not had them be correct, or even in my favor, once.

I agree....When I sell, I make it a flat rate cost in the USA (USPS or UPS) based on assuming I will have to ship from California to New York. You break even across the country and make a little when local.

When I buy, it's on the seller to comply with his calculator

agree.gif

Last item I sold was my GF's stock radio after I swapped it out for an aftermarket (She wanted to hook up her ipod).

I listed shipping to Continental US and for $20. Buyers know that it doesnt cost that much for shipping but that the seller DOES have to make sure they can cover the costs. I ended up selling the stock radio for $60 and shipped it for $11.

Dr Evil
The guy has been polite and says that I should have a tracking number shortly. I dont feel I need to trash his rating or him, just that he chose poorly in how to initially handle this.

Overall, I do not feel this seller is dishonest, or a bad person, just that their handling of this could have been better.
charliew
UPS used to be about 100.00 shipping from the east or west to TX for a 100 lb suby short block. That was a coupla years ago now I check every time I'm shopping for a heavy item with the seller before I bid. I use ezsniper for stuff thats not real important. A few years ago I missed a couple of 915's that went for around 1100.00 and now I'm glad I didn't get one as times have changed for me and dream parts. I was communicating with a seller in north tx for one, and when I missed his tranny he said to use ezsniper and only bid what the item was worth to me and thats the way I've done it ever since. I recently won a item that sells at harbor freight for 90.00 on sale and won it for 59.00 and 25.00 shipping. The seller cancelled the sale when he went to ship it or wanted another 30.00 freight and I told him to forget it.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 4 2011, 07:54 PM) *

I sold an electric scooter that belonged to my Grandfather. I used Ebay's freight calculations. The shipping said $300. Sold the scooter for $900, dude paid the shipping. When I went to drop it off at the freight place the said I owed another $200. I asked the guy to pay it or I would give a refund. He paid, it shipped. After he got it he was very pleased. Very nice almost new powered scooter. I then got another bill from the freight place for another $160. They said it was due to excess weight. I paid it myself.

I will never ship another item that I cannot drop of at UPS or USPS. Ebay's freight calculator is fucked up.

This is messed up. It makes you want to sell local only.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 5 2011, 01:51 PM) *

The guy has been polite and says that I should have a tracking number shortly. I dont feel I need to trash his rating or him, just that he chose poorly in how to initially handle this.

Overall, I do not feel this seller is dishonest, or a bad person, just that their handling of this could have been better.

As an occasional seller, I believe it is my responsibility to make things right. YOU bought a transmission. Wow. I know someone who can fix those... first.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 4 2011, 08:58 PM) *

Enrique, Slits and Evil... you guys owe me an additional $100.00 each in freight charges. dry.gif

I'll send the money as soon as you ship me something! evilgrin.gif
dirk9141973
agree.gif Rememember you are getting items over 30 years old that 10 years ago before evil e-bay you would have paid 5x as much !!, Think of it as item average win some (Under pay) some (over pay)
Just watch item you send outside US sold a pair of skis to some one in UK no big deal till extra $50 for oversize package 135cm ?? (Very short skis)
Dr Evil
Here is the last email he sent rolleyes.gif

"We Reboxed to hit budget -

Enjoy!"

I can't wait to see how this goes. Luckily, I could care less about the outside, its the guts I want.

I have bought many gear boxes on ebay and have NEVER had someone pull this kind of crap.
zymurgist
Just bought a new pair of unscratched wink.gif mufflers for my Ninja. The guy wanted $150 for the complete exhaust. I asked him what shipping would be to my house... he said $40-$50 and agreed to take $175 shipped.
Dr Evil
Math genius!
Dr Evil
Shipping $99.99, but for you I knock off $99! Only $100.99 smile.gif
Eric_Shea
I'll send the money as soon as you ship me something!

Rio just finished with a steamer stromberg.gif

On the way!

More on-topic. Shipping calculators suck. That said, I always eat the difference.
Dr Evil
Arrived today, on a homemade palate, covered by a box. Worked like a charm smile.gif
bandjoey
Just used the evilbay freight calculator on a bid for a 1.8 motor, and the freight came out to be $927 to a residence and $872 to a business...Yikes! Sent him a pm to see if that's serious or an error.
screwy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.