Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picked up some 87 944T Calipers today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
I picked these up off Craigslist today. Figured the fronts for backups on my v8 conversion. I allready have them on that. Just to good a deal to pass up. SO my question on the rears is?

What do I do with them? Are they different from the fronts? Size wise they look the same. What are the differences? They are off an 87 944turbo
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 5 2011, 12:34 AM) *

What do I do with them? Are they different from the fronts? Size wise they look the same. What are the differences? They are off an 87 944turbo

Funny you should post this - I just picked up a pair of 930 calipers and I'm having the same front vs back questions.

I expect the difference to be piston size - but I don't know the sizes involved.

Can you get me the casting numbers? Post here, email, PM - whatever. And maybe the piston sizes (approx is fine...) I'll pull the pads from mine tomorrow and we can compare notes.

My casting numbers are 930.352.541.1R - which near as I can tell from ETKA is actually 911 Turbo rear calipers (in which case, I don't need another pair...).

But if mine are fronts, I may be able to provide your backs a good home...
Eric_Shea
Pistons. For the 930's it's 38mm up front and 30mm in the rear.

The 944 is a mix of "issues" and piston sizes. I do not recommend a rebuild for those other than a cosmetic freshening. They are originally black anodized with a clear-coat top that peels. Rebuild kits for "both" (930 and 944) can easily run over $400.00. This is why I call them (the 944 varients) throw-away calipers.

The good news is, they probably don't need a rebuild. The piston's are hard anodized like our new s-caliper pistons (in fact, that's where I got the idea). So... aluminum on aluminum and you should never have any corrosion issues.

I would: Soda blast the clear off them, re-clear with a high heat product. Install and flush new fluid through them once a week for 3-weeks. I would also install them as a matched set, keep the pressure regulator and find a handbrake solution.
JRust
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 5 2011, 06:31 AM) *

I would: Soda blast the clear off them, re-clear with a high heat product. Install and flush new fluid through them once a week for 3-weeks. I would also install them as a matched set, keep the pressure regulator and find a handbrake solution.

How would I put them on the rear? They have the 3.5" bolt spacing correct?
Eric_Shea
With a Welder and a call to Paul. (PRS914-6) biggrin.gif

They actually have a 3.75 or 4.25 spacing if'n I recall.
Luke M
I have 928 S4 rear calipers ( which I believe are the same as the 944 turbo ) that I was going to use on the rear of my 6. The problem like someone stated is that the bolt spacing does'nt line up plus they need to be centered on the rotor. Last I looked into this I would need to use the carrera rear rotors and make up new caliper mounting brackets. Cut off the the 914 caliper bracket, center then weld new brackets onto arms. I've since gone the Boxster caliper route for the front and rear. It was much easier just purchased some caliper mounting blocks from Rich J. fits nice but have'nt run them on the road as the 6 is still under construction. I may just finish the arms up that I was working on then sell them.
JRust
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 5 2011, 10:04 AM) *

I'll measure them tonight to see. Really not concerned with using them on the back. Having a set on the front & nice rebuilt stock calipers on the rear are fine for me(Big thanks to Mr Shea who is rebuilding mine as we speak piratenanner.gif ). I get to keep the e-brake that way too. I have a set of these on my front's now. I guess now I need to check to see if they had to do a mod to make them work. I was pretty sure it was a bolt on replacement on the late carrera front suspension. I've never had a problem with mine so I haven't had a reason to check the bolt spacing. I will check them against each other & report.

I was thinking more along the lines if they are a 3.5" spacing. Using the rears for a front upgrade for someone else. These are just so dang big & light. The hold a bigger brake pad than the s calipers don't they?
Luke M
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 5 2011, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 5 2011, 10:04 AM) *

I'll measure them tonight to see. Really not concerned with using them on the back. Having a set on the front & nice rebuilt stock calipers on the rear are fine for me(Big thanks to Mr Shea who is rebuilding mine as we speak piratenanner.gif ). I get to keep the e-brake that way too. I have a set of these on my front's now. I guess now I need to check to see if they had to do a mod to make them work. I was pretty sure it was a bolt on replacement on the late carrera front suspension. I've never had a problem with mine so I haven't had a reason to check the bolt spacing. I will check them against each other & report.

I was thinking more along the lines if they are a 3.5" spacing. Using the rears for a front upgrade for someone else. These are just so dang big & light. The hold a bigger brake pad than the s calipers don't they?

Years ago I had a set of these calipers on the front of my 71 914 with stock rear calipers. I had to have the caliper mounts machined in a little to fit the 3.5 strut mount. Not a big deal just take a little time to measure everything so it lines up right. They worked great on my 914 with a 1.8ltr stopped on a dime that is until the guy behind me with his Big ass Buick could'nt stop then Bang mad.gif . Parts car it became sawzall-smiley.gif .. I think you will like the setup after you install it.
matthepcat
Right on!

I just got a set for myself.

Looking forward to installing in a few days. driving.gif

IPB Image

Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.