Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lie-lacky
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesM
I had a hard time finding any pics of lilac(341) 914s when i was trying to decide what color purple to go with on the car i am building for my wife. So here is my contribution to the world of lilac 914s...

Crapy phone camera shots, ill take some better ones when i bring it home this weekend. That is if my wife doesent kill me for bringing home another car, she still has no idea i have this one.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JamesM
Anyone want to guess where i had it done?
Ferg
aktion035.gif she is going to love it.
draganc
not my type of color but great paint job!!
underthetire
Paint the hood and targa green

Looks nice !
r_towle
maaco?
pt_700
earl sheib?
JamesM

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 5 2011, 09:31 AM) *

maaco?

We have a winner! Did the painted sticker in the engine bay give it away? I had read some horror stories but thought i would give them a shot anyways as sort of an experiment. The car was far from perfect to begin with and i didn’t want to dump a ton of money in something that i am sure is going to get chipped up anyways. Between Utah roads and my wife opening car doors in the garage I think i would have gone insane if i had dumped a ton of money on a paint job.

You can tell from close up that its a cheap job but it turned out better then i expected so i am happy. They actually removed the trunk lids and painted them separately which i did not expect they would do.

Its the single stage enamel so i am curious to see how long it lasts.
Andyrew
So how much did you spend?

Curious how much a FULL job like that would cost from them.

Do you know how many coats of paint they put on?
JamesM
QUOTE(draganc @ Aug 5 2011, 08:43 AM) *

not my type of color but great paint job!!

My wife wanted a purple one and i wanted to stick with a factory color so it was between lilac and aubergine. If it was for me i probably would have stuck with the original orange. I am thinking it might look better with a black top, I had an extra that was already sanded so i let them paint it to see which way would look better.
JamesM
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 5 2011, 10:00 AM) *

So how much did you spend?

Curious how much a FULL job like that would cost from them.

Do you know how many coats of paint they put on?

About 1250 but that includes 5 hours of body work, They did some minor work at all 4 fenders and both doors where some extra mirror holes were filled in. I think with just the paint it was going be to a bit under 1k. I removed the engine and everything else from the car ahead of time (except for that sticker in the engine bay i forgot about!)

Not sure how many coats they put on, I was assuming it was just going to be one however there are at least 2 +primer as they mixed the first batch of paint slightly off, They caught the error on their own and scuffed and repainted the whole car without me saying anything. They also sanded and primered the entire car before the first coat. Took about a week from the time i brought it in, i checked in on it almost every day and saw it at the various steps. Like i said, if you look at the finish up close you can tell its a cheap job but better then i expected from a Maaco for sure.
Twise
The orange car god will be paying you a visit my friend, and he is pissed off.
rick 918-S
Never say this post before. How is this car coming together? Nice!
porsche_dreamer
Id like to know too. If you sanded it and buffed it, it would probably look real good.
Dr Evil
AW YEAH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.