Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replace Clutch Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StrayHorse
This is my first "how-to-thread" so bear with me…
If you have critiques or are missing a step, please ask. Again, I'm new to this, and want to learn.

At the rear of the car:
Remove the locknut from the end of the clutch cable to release the tension from the cable.
Loosen the hexnut from the pulley to allow the cable to clear the shroud/roller bracket.

Click to view attachment
StrayHorse
Once the cable is clear, allow it to lay flat toward the rear of the car.
Click to view attachment
StrayHorse
In the front (cabin) remove the carpet and floorboard.
(I didn't show this step as it seems to be pretty well covered in other how-tos.

Click the clevis pin upward (away from the clutch cable) then push it toward the passenger side to remove it.
After the pin is released the clutch pedal will fall away.

Unscrew the clevis fork from the end of the cable
StrayHorse
Disassembled: cable, clevis fork, nut, and clevis pin
StrayHorse
Here's the crux.
DO NOT pull out the clutch cable yet. (We have equines, so we have ample yards of haybale twine—it's very thin, very strong and very slippery; electricians also use a similar twine to "fish" romex through walls.)
Tie a noose in the cabin end of the car.
StrayHorse
Loop it onto the pedal-side of the cable.
StrayHorse
BONUS TIP: tie the pedal-end of the twine to the steering wheel so that you don't get overzealous and yank the whole damn thing through.
StrayHorse
Slide under the back end of the car.
(Such as on my high-end creeper.)
No, weeds and dirt are not in my garage; I am a shade-tree mechanic and, YES, it was raining when I did this. But, hey, I was under the car so I was MOSTLY dry.
StrayHorse
Meanwhile back to the repair: this was my cable failure:
StrayHorse
I pulled the twine to the rear of the car.
StrayHorse
Good thing I tied it off; I almost pulled it through. The cable is longer than you think...
StrayHorse
Once through to the rear, tape the new cable to the twine and pull it back through to the front/cabin.
StrayHorse
Screw on the Clevis fork with about a 1/4 " thread showing toward the front of the car. Click it down and turn the lock nut to snug it.
StrayHorse
Bad step. Removed.
StrayHorse
Bad step. Removed.
StrayHorse
Now, you can fasten the rear end of the cable to the lock nut and adjust the tension.
StrayHorse
Zip-tie the clutch cable to keep it from sagging.
StrayHorse
Replace the floorboard and carpet.
Then, crack another beer to celebrate as you zip around with your snappy new clutch!
StrayHorse
Ouch! there's got to be an easier way to post a "how-to"?
7TPorsh
smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.