Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: paging Dr. Colorchip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ezbngreen914
Just wandering if anyone has used Dr. Colorchip and if so what they thought of it.
TheCabinetmaker
Hers a link for all the lazy guys like me.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

BTW, its spelled with an o.
ConeDodger
T-riffic!
Ferg
I find it best to talk with a local body shop and find out where they buy shop supplies locally, We have a Sherwin Williams Distributor and they have everything to do an exact match on site and a small can is like 15 bucks.

Sooo much better IMO than what I have seen in any stick or the like.

Ferg.
charliew
I'm thinking you must mean local PORSCHE body shop as most shops just usually use the paint supplier that gives them the best deal and old vw- porsche colors sometimes aren't in the books in base coat clear coat and sometimes it's even hard to get some color recipies in single stage urethanes. Exact match as in a spectrometer is a real gamble on old paints for my supplier. 15.00 must be a really small can of enamel.
ConeDodger
Dr. Colorchip comes recommended by concours weenies who are so puckered up they crap once a year... They matched my 911 perfectly.
charliew
I'd bet a good dinner you won't get a 15.00 can of color paint from them though. But at least they might have the right color.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 5 2011, 04:34 PM) *

I'd bet a good dinner you won't get a 15.00 can of color paint from them though. But at least they might have the right color.

About $50 a color...
scotty b
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 5 2011, 02:30 PM) *

TAriffic!

you forgot the A....or is it an O ? confused24.gif Yerp that's it. T.O.-riffic dry.gif
jim_hoyland
What is the difference between a color code that has an AU or AT suffix ? sad.gif

I'm ordering the Glacial White for the '98 Boxster...Any help will be appreciated smile.gif
ConeDodger
Call them Jim. They're very helpful.
Ferg
QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 5 2011, 03:34 PM) *

I'm thinking you must mean local PORSCHE body shop as most shops just usually use the paint supplier that gives them the best deal and old vw- porsche colors sometimes aren't in the books in base coat clear coat and sometimes it's even hard to get some color recipies in single stage urethanes. Exact match as in a spectrometer is a real gamble on old paints for my supplier. 15.00 must be a really small can of enamel.

I'm guessing in my case it's Sherwin Williams house type, can says 2nd Dimension, I use it for rock chip touch up and the like...

I can special order other paint brands if needed at more expense.

For 15 bucks I get one pint, color matched on site, and if it does not turn out to my liking, I get them to redo it free of charge.

If I was painting a fender or whole car, I would do it differently, but for me it's super easy and fool proof match wise.

I just did a can of single stage for the Miata and spent some time fixing the one "to the primer" scratch filling it in, knocking it down repeat ect. It's really really good to the point that I have to be about six inches away to "find" it.

Ferg
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 5 2011, 06:23 PM) *

Dr. Colorchip comes recommended by concours weenies who are so puckered up they crap once a year... They matched my 911 perfectly.

I'm not "puckered up" & I crapped twice today! Color Chip is "good", but not a panacea. Use it quickly, because it dries out quickly avfter opening. Worls OK out of the box, but is useless 6 months later, so use it as soon as you get it. Decent matching.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.