Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oly Blue is finally home!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
SO you may recall, I purchased this super low mileage, stored for 20 years, non-running 1974 914. After a quick cleaning, tank replacement and a few necessary service items, it was apparent that some wiring was incorrect, and I did not have the knowledge to get it running.
So she spent 8 months at a local shop here in Palm Desert while they sorted a few more items, but never did solve the main isssue. incorrect wiring.

They gave her back to me, still not running.. Not entirely their fault, but dissapointing.

Off she went to Don Kravig's shop, Precision Motion in Riverside. Two months later, she is now home, running beautifully, delivered to me by Don in his own enclosed trailer. I mean, the guy trailered it out here for me in 100 degree heat!

We went over the car, I happily wrote him a check, and now I will begin the final phase of refurbishing this beautiful example, taking her from 90% to 100% complete.

PICS ARE POSTED BELOW!!

Just so glad she is home, that I had to share. driving.gif
Ferg
Cool, look forward to the pics. smile.gif
JRust
Congrats! Love to see the pics too biggrin.gif
76-914
I'd love to see some pic's also, but I am more curious to learn what was corrected by the second shop that the first could not locate after several month's bs.gif. I hate when people get yanked around by these "alleged" mechanics. Sounds like you got a good one the second time, though. beerchug.gif
RFoulds
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 5 2011, 01:00 PM) *

I'd love to see some pic's also, but I am more curious to learn what was corrected by the second shop that the first could not locate after several month's bs.gif. I hate when people get yanked around by these "alleged" mechanics. Sounds like you got a good one the second time, though. beerchug.gif

Cant say it was totally their fault. I bought a car that was sitting for over 20 years. I brought it to them and said, Here is a new fuel tank and an extra ECU. Engine is good, not seized, everything is there. make it run.
They completed a lot fo the necessary work, but it was apparent someone had rewired fuel pump and dual relay incorrectly, and the CHT was snapped off. They did not have the wiring diagrams fo rthis car, as they mostly do the newer Porsches, and some race car prep. I knew that going in, but they were the only game within 50 miles.

The next shop had the correct diagrams, and the owner knows the 914 well. even the L-Jet. So, first shop got a lot done, but the second shop got her running, which is what I really needed.

EdwardBlume
Too bad you are not closer by. I'd help for free. Let me know if you need any small parts. I have lots of spares.
RFoulds
Thanks RobW I wish I was in NorCal this time of year.

Here are some pics of her as she sites today.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Lots of little items to address, but she will be as close to "AS-DELIVERED" as I can make her.
76-914
Sweet.Nice find, too! How are the temps holding w/ AC running?
porsche_dreamer
My absolute favorite color on a 914! It looks awesome. And good luck finishing her up!
RFoulds
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 5 2011, 02:41 PM) *

Sweet.Nice find, too! How are the temps holding w/ AC running?

Have not tried A/c yet. its all there, and the old York compressor spins free. I even have a dozen or so cans of old freon to charge it with. That will be in the next few weeks.

RFoulds
IPB Image

Fuel injector leak that put a damper in the first drive.
tod914
Looking real good! All you need now is a showroom sticker and a P dealership to put it in.
RFoulds
I just read Bee Jay's thread and realized I'm damn lucky my fuel leak didnt lead to fire. I had fuel spewing all over left side of engine, dropping on to the engine tin right below fuel rail, and then dripping down on to the heat exchanger.

When the car died, I pushed it off road and called AAA. when flat deck arrived, I turned key to unlock steering wheel. I heard fuel pump going and looked underneath to see fuel dripping off heat exchanger. Turned off key and flat decked it home.

At home, removed air intake, and revealed fuel sitting on the engine tin, right under th einjectors. a tturn of the key, and I saw the fuel spewing out of the pinhole in the injjector hose.

Again, damn lucky she didn't burn.

RFoulds
Starting cosmetic clean up today. Removed old stripes and now trying to get the adhesive cleaned up. 37 year old adhesive does not want to come off.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

tod914
Rob, from what I understand, this old recipee works much much better. http://www.skygeek.com/051135-08984.html

Click to view attachment
RFoulds
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 9 2011, 05:11 PM) *

Rob, from what I understand, this old recipee works much much better. http://www.skygeek.com/051135-08984.html

Click to view attachment

U

Yes but they won't ship it to california.
tod914
Did you try to order it? I put in a CA zip and it allowed it. UPS Ground option.
Spoke
Naphtha removes adhesive real good.
SUNAB914
Hey thought you were going to buy your old 74 back? HAHA. Nice looking car you got there.
AZ914
The car is looking great! Good catch on that leaky injector, I had something similar happen after the car had been sitting for a while... split fuel line, had a dang geyser shooting out of the engine bay. I must of stood there for 15 minutes with the fire extinguisher in my hand waiting for something to catch... wink.gif
RFoulds
I did try to order red label from my regular supplier. They told me they can't ship it to CA. Advance Auto here said same thing.

Anyway, four hours later with the Black label, residue is gone. Next up, wet sand with 1200 grit, and mild compounding.

IPB Image
tod914
That's why I gave you the skygeek link. Only way I could get too. Looks nice!
RFoulds
Putting a few things back together to take pics for insurance.

I remembered to slot the engine lid hinges. Old trick someone taught me. Sure makes things easier.

IPB Image

I am going to post more pics over in originality forum.
RFoulds
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Aug 10 2011, 05:39 AM) *

Hey thought you were going to buy your old 74 back? HAHA. Nice looking car you got there.

Are you ready to sell it to me.....?? Would love that one. This one is not to keep. Will be for sale or at auction next year.
SUNAB914
Maybe we should do a trade or something, just kidding. I'll post a pic of your beautiful old car here when i get home. I don't see how you didn't bubble the paint taking the side sticker off. Good job!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.