Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will a 400 SBC work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So we where scrounging around pick and pull seeing what we could see. Lots of carburated SBC's to choose from, so I will be able to hopefully find one that will work. This weekend it is 75 bucks (you read it right) for a COMPLETE engine, from the air filter to the exhaust manifold!!!! So Looking around dad spotted what looked like a good 400 SBC (he said something about rare...) It was from a Impala, 70 or so. (anyone have any way of identifying it? engine code numbers? I couldnt find anything online..)

Anyways, my question was one of dads comments. He said that the 400's had a harmonic balancer. Would there be any reason why that harmonic balancer would make it NOT work?

Oh While where in pick and pull, we'll be picking and pulling certain things from other engine's so that we have one "complete" engine. My dad said something about high performance ignition and dizzy... What cars would have that factory? What else should I "Swap"?

Come on v8 guys I know your out there!!

Andrew
skline
Sure, why not, the only drawback is that the 400 had over heating problems. Two of the cylinders were siamesed in and it ran hotter than a normal engine. Great engine though, you can change the crank on and stroke it with a slight over bore and have a fast revving 406 which would put out about 400HP without even trying, that is the engine the stock cars used to run.
Scott Carlberg
Andrew/Dan,

when are you guys going to the yard again?

I may want to tag along, of course with JUST two-seaters in the family, I'll have
to drive myself, which is no problem.
skline
OK Now that I read your post, I will answer your questions, the 400 was externally balanced which could cause a few problems for you. All engines have a harmonic balancer however, but the flex plate and balancer were actually used to balance the 400's.
skline
Also, if you need to run casting numbers, try this link. They should tell you all you need to know.

Casting numbers
Andyrew
So skyline.. is that a yes it will work? or no?
Oh ya, sent ya the money, but you probably already knew that.. sooner it gets out, the better!

Scott. I think saturday where going.. you can help gettin the engine out!!! (gona be there half the day....)
I'll send you an email scott.

Thanks guys.

Andrew
Andyrew
Oh good link for the casting number. Gracies!

Andrew
skline
I have a complete 400 SBC here in my garage and am not using it for that reason, you would have to do to a machine shop and have everything balanced and honestly, it just would not be worth it. Look for a 283 or 327, those would be your best choice for an engine to install in your 914.
Scott Carlberg
don't the 400 engine SUCK at gas mileage?

I know, prolly not in the top-10 of things you're considering, especially putting
it into a 914, but, having owned some Pontiac's and hanging out with some
guys who tuned them, I do remember they preferred the 350's.

guess that was like....................... 23yrs ago though wacko.gif blink.gif headbang.gif
Andyrew
Alright gotcha.

There was lots of 70's and 80 camero's there.. Would there be anything from that?

Andrew

Hmm maybe take the 400 engine AND another engine.. build up the 400 for later....

Hmmmm

Now if I can focus on the task at hand.. There are lots of 80's cars, and some 70's cars, What would have the engine I need?

Andrew
Mueller
Andrew, I'd stay with a more common motor or smaller like skline mentions....oh yea, while cleaning my garage tonight, I found my brand new, never used Griffin aluminum radiator from Summit Racing, I'm pretty sure it's 31x19 in size. part number should be gri-1-25272-x

it might be smaller in width, I'll measure it later on.

$50...
Toast
The 400 SBC will work. It is the same size as any other SBC. You must have the crank damper and flywheel from the unit, as Scott said, it is externally balanced.

For identification look for two things:
1.) The harmonic balancer will not be a round smooth circle. It will have a relief cut in it on the circumference about 1/3 of the way around.
2. The crank flange (where the flywheel/flexplate mounts will have a locating pin in it - the other do not and the flexplate has weights welded to it.

A 400 SBC bored 0.030" with early "double humper heads - small valve (63 cc combustion chambers), flat top pistons and an ISKY 270 hydraulic cam will produce an honest 350 - 400 hp and TONS of torque.

To mate the heads, you place a gasket on them and drill the steam relief holes in the head.

You need a good cooling system.

I know, I built this combination for my 16' jet boat and was able to blow off big blocks with a single 600 cfm double pumper mounted on a replica Z28 manifold.

Stock they had 265 HP with a single 4 bbl.
skline
build yourself a nice little 305, they had small chamber heads, put some dome pistons in there for higher compression and a nice camshaft, and you would be set.
skline
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 1 2004, 11:01 PM)
Andrew, I'd stay with a more common motor or smaller like skline mentions....oh yea, while cleaning my garage tonight, I found my brand new, never used Griffin aluminum radiator from Summit Racing, I'm pretty sure it's 31x19 in size. part number should be gri-1-25272-x

it might be smaller in width, I'll measure it later on.

$50...

Andy, that sounds like a killer deal for the radiator, I would jump on that if I were you!
skline
QUOTE(Toast @ Jul 1 2004, 11:02 PM)
The 400 SBC will work.  It is the same size as any other SBC.  You must have the crank damper and flywheel from the unit, as Scott said, it is externally balanced.

1.)  The harmonic balancer will not be a round smooth circle.  It will have a relief cut in it on the circumference about 1/3 of the way around.
2.  The crank flange (where the flywheel/flexplate mounts will have a locating pin in it - the other do not and the flexplate has weights welded to it.

A 400 SBC bored 0.030" with early "double humper heads - small valve (63 cc combustion chambers), flat top pistons and an ISKY 270 hydraulic cam will produce an honest 350 - 400 hp and TONS of torque.

To mate the heads, you place a gasket on them and drill the steam relief holes in the head.

I know, I built  this combination for my 16' jet boat and was able to blow off big blocks with a single 600 cfm double pumper mounted on a replica Z28 manifold.

Gee Toast, you sound like you have been hanging around Slits too much, you sound exactly like him. He is one of the few people that I know, that would even know that much info about that engine. confused24.gif
Andyrew
Mike, you just might have a deal.
If I cant find a nice aluminum radiator at pick and pull on saturday(15 bucks) I'll definately take you up on that offer (if I dont, then you can sell it on ebay, without having to be nice to me... lol, thanks man..)

Toast, Thanks for that great info, I've put it in file.

What has a 305? I know my dad knows, but he's sleeping...

Andrew

thanks guys!
skline
The 305 was used in the early 70s but used again in the mid 80's in the IROC Z28 camaro's. Look for one of those.
Andyrew
Gracies!

What about headers? anything had any good headers?

Or starter (included)

Or alternator?(included..lol)

Andrew
Mueller
i thought it was a 307 in the '70's??? the 305 might be an okay choice, i know the aftermarket supported it for a while when it was brand new.

you can pick up the radiator on Monday, 'cause no way are you going to find an all aluminum radiator at pick'n'pull......most conversions that have problems can trace it back to the cooling system in one way or another

personally, i like the idea that if a key component for my conversion gets damaged, i can make a call or place and order on the web and get a replacment in just a few days.
skline
You can use the stock alternator and the stock exhaust manifolds, but the starter wont work, chevy starters bolt to the engine and drive the starter gear on the flexplate or flywheel, not compatible with the 901 or 915 Porsche. MikeZ's purple people eater has stock exhaust manifolds.
skline
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 1 2004, 11:21 PM)
i thought it was a 307 in the '70's??? the 305 might be an okay choice, i know the aftermarket supported it for a while when it was brand new.

you can pick up the radiator on Monday, 'cause no way are you going to find an all aluminum radiator at pick'n'pull......most conversions that have problems can trace it back to the cooling system in one way or another

personally, i like the idea that if a key component for my conversion gets damaged, i can make a call or place and order on the web and get a replacment in just a few days.

Yes, you are right, it was a 307 in the early 70's, I stand corrected. The 307 however, was a real POS and that is why it was only used for a few years. Of course the 305 wasnt used much either, but the Camaros with them were pretty popular.
Andyrew
Alright, Well, I checked my voice messages(forgot my notepad, so I called myself to take notes biggrin.gif )

The "400" that dad was looking for an engine number (we where in a hurry.. so we couldnt find it) But it had a 2 barrel carb. Does this mean it was a 350 or 327 or smaller? We couldnt find the engine number, so we dont know if the owner switched the engine sometimes.. Dad said that they spraypainted the whole engine while in the car.. so that leaves to wonder. It was orange biggrin.gif so I didnt mind.

Any idea's?

Mueller. Well, alright, I'll talk to dad about it, but my guess is that its going to be a "Sure, Its your money, but I would do it" type thing.
I agree with you that I cant skimp on cooling. Its just that I wanted to see if I could find some spares. Oh.. Hmm mark down electric fans on my to find list...

Anything else? Oh ya, while we where there they had some porsche "Manhole covers" rims with tires 16in, where on a later model 924S that was out there. If there still there saturday, There mine... 70 bucks normal. 35 half off... Hmm can I pass that up? I think not...

lol Muahaha, im a bargain basement buyer. They might be on ebay pretty soon biggrin.gif

Andrew
Andyrew
I know mikes had stock one's But where there any that flowed really well? Cus Im getting some for free with the engine... (lady said everything that makes it run is included... YIppie!!)

Andrew
skline
Look on the smooth pad on the very fron tof the engine behind where the alternator would go, It should have a stamped number right in front of the head, you can call a Chevy dealer with this number and they can tell you exactly what it was in and how it was equipt. The casting number should be on the side about half way down, the link I sent you was for the casting numbers. Each piece in the engine tht is cast will have a number that can be looked up. Heads, crank, cam, block, intake and so on.
Andyrew
Ok, good, so I was looking at the right number when dad was looking for it on the block.. But Nooo... I didnt pay attention to it long enough to remember if it was the same as the vin...

That will help when it comes time to finding a good one..

I need like a book for decoding these things.. Hmm Barns and nobles.. here I come.
(unless one of you have a site.. Scott, that one was good and I'll print it out for when where "hunting", Also the links it had and such where good too. Thanks again for the link to it.)

Thanks

Andrew
skline
Oh, One more thing, those parts that the guy forgot to send, arrived today, so now you will have the transmission mounts to extend the mounts back.
Andyrew
Yipity do da! yipity eh! My oh my what a wonderful day! Plenty of v8's coming my way! yipity DO da, Yipety eh!

Cool.

Thanks
Andrew
John2kx
Andrew,

I'd pass on the 400 but if you have you mind set on it, spend a dime and call Scott at Renegade about flywheel/harmonic balancer issues. The overheating problems known with this engine would be another key factor in not using one in a 914 as well. Afterall, how many 400 small blocks have you seen in a converted 914/911? These make tremendous bottom end torque and not what you want attached to your 901 transaxle.

The 283, 302, 327 and 350 are what you want. 305s and 307s would not be my choice either but in a 914 they should still give good results.

Just my opinion,

John
JWest
Early 70's had the 307 - it's a small bore 327. It would be cool to get one of those and a 350 - throw the 307 crank into the 350 block and use 327 pistons to make a large journal 327 - nice motor for a 914.

305s were MUCH more prevalent than Scott is making them seem, they were used in just about everything a small block was used in through the '80s. a 305 is a small bore 350 - lots of torque and good for emissions - that's why it was used instead of the 307 during that time.

You really need to buy a small block Chevy book - there were ranges of heads that were more prone to crack - all these differences in bore and stroke - the one piece seal that came out '86 (changing the flywheel). Read up and get the casting numbers so you know what you want and what to avoid.
Toast
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 1 2004, 11:07 PM)
QUOTE(Toast @ Jul 1 2004, 11:02 PM)
The 400 SBC will work.  It is the same size as any other SBC.  You must have the crank damper and flywheel from the unit, as Scott said, it is externally balanced.

1.)  The harmonic balancer will not be a round smooth circle.  It will have a relief cut in it on the circumference about 1/3 of the way around.
2.  The crank flange (where the flywheel/flexplate mounts will have a locating pin in it - the other do not and the flexplate has weights welded to it.

I know, I built  this combination for my 16' jet boat and was able to blow off big blocks with a single 600 cfm double pumper mounted on a replica Z28 manifold.

Gee Toast, you sound like you have been hanging around Slits too much, you sound exactly like him. He is one of the few people that I know, that would even know that much info about that engine. confused24.gif

When I get to thinking about raw horsepower, my voice has a tendency to deepen. boldblue.gif lol2.gif
sanman
some had 3 freeze plugs but not all.
the desired block casting # ended in 509 it had more nickel but it is still not the best engine for the 914 ( Cooling Problems). I would get it anyway they are getting harder to find. just my $.02
skline
I made another mistake, the casting number on the block is located behind the cylinder head on top in the back. I just noticed it on the 3 different year blocks I have sitting here in my garage. I have my 283, a 400, and a 350. The year is also stamped on it as well. The 400 I have was made 7 76. I cant even give it away, nobody wants them anymore.
Andyrew
Ok, if its the original 400 I will pass, Geezz guys dont have to tell me twice biggrin.gif.
But if its a 350 or something of the like I think we'll go for it.
It WAS a 2 barrel carb, Would that make any difference i what engine it possibly is?
I think tonight we'll get a decoder book.

Dad said basicly everything he saw was a 305. There where loads of camero's there..

Speekin of heads, are there any that are really good that I should look out for?

Any manifolds to look for? Carbs that could yeild decent gas milage and good hp?

Where going to be there a looong time come saturday (dads thinking of pulling the engine from the 924 S as well.. he needs a 944 block.. Arg! Oh well saves us both money)

Would the electric fans from a 924 work?

Thanks all
Andrew
SLITS
The hot setup would be a late 350 Vortec engine 880 block casting with either 062 or 906 heads, but they don't make a carbureted manifold for it that I am aware of. the heads flow better than any except for racing heads.

Next in line would be the LT1 350 - 638 casting with Aluminum heads - not great, but saves 50 lbs over cast iron heads.

3rd would be a late model 350 (1 piece rear seal) - generally 638 casting with 193 heads and roller cam, but these have a problem of cracking in the valley area.

If you are looking for an early 350 (2 piece rear seal), look for an 010 casting - it has more nickel content than any of the others.

And in case your wondering why I only use 3 digits on head and casting numbers - that's the way it is - no one uses the full number.

As far as the 283/305/307/327, they should be cheap as there is no market for them. We scrap them.

Oh BTW, any fans that are 12 volt will work as long as the fit the radiator your going to use - a fan is a fan - it blows or sucks air. Above 35 mph you shouldn't need a fan anyway as it restricts airflow thru the radiator - heh - just some racing bullshit.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 2 2004, 02:34 PM)
The hot setup would be a late 350 Vortec engine 880 block casting with either 062 or 906 heads, but they don't make a carbureted manifold for it that I am aware of.  the heads flow better than any except for racing heads.

I'm with you on the vortec being a good start. Edelbrock and others make carb. manifolds for this. The other advantage would be the Hyd. roller lifters. A good set of flat top pistons and a cam in the .480/.500 lift area will get you some real HP at a bargin.

Bob
redshift
Look around for a motor that likes to rev 6 grand..

M
Andyrew
I'll get what I can take. biggrin.gif

Its do this now, Then spend my money and build up another motor, and buy a trani for later.

I want at least 200hp and at least 250tq (the tq number is easy.. but its way to low.. 2k or 2.5k)

Yes I do want a revvy motor.. especially for autox.

Andrew
dan10101
Hey thanks for everyone's input. When I found the 400, I thought wow what a find! But, Then I remembered about the external balancing and further investigation confirms what everyone else says. Lot's of bad naughty torque means a broke transmission (and Son).

So we'll see what we can find in a nice mild 305 driven by a little old lady from Passidena.

Then later we can build up one of my BILs engine blocks. 427 SBC with NOS.. rolleyes.gif

Wish us luck on our adventure. 2 engine pulls in one day. (I get a new block for my turbo, hopefully only the valves are toast). smash.gif
Andyrew
Nos? HA ya right. I'd rather put in a T3 turbo and run 2psi all the time, then.. when I feel like it, flip a switch, and run 5psi And a nitrous plate serving as a separate fuel plate.

Muhahaha!!!

Take that 901!!!!

oh.. sorry

Im dreaming again
(PPPPSSSSSsssWHhhoshhhhh, ie turbo..)

Andrew
neo914-6
Here's one: http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/34552302.html

Search here under sbc, chevy, motor, engine. You should get more previous history than one from the wrecking yard...

Felix
Andyrew
Good timing.

Just got the engine!

Pooped I'll post about it tomorrow.
305 84 from some chevy (not camaro)
total cost 120.
Might be able to clean it up and just run it! turns over good, has good compression. eldenbrook vavle covers (Woopie, gota be 30hp there..) stock exhaust manifold, carb (tiny bends cus the engine rolled over in our garage.. Ooh Lets put it on a Hooser, the engine hoist doesnt reach all the way to the ground! go away for 6 hours.. find the engine upside down.. oops..), intake manifold, like new alternator and everything else attached to the engine.

Oh and daddy got the engine out of the 924S (944 engine, 944 everything on that car) and the trani, I got the radiator fan, the radiator is aluminum so I'll buy that just to throw on ebay or keep as a spare, but its still in the car, so we have to go back monday or tomorrow to get everything we still want. Also some koni yellow shocks we'll pick up. The headers that where laying on the ground for the engine we encluded in the engine, starter. bla bla bla

Productive day.. Doesnt feel like it (4 hours to pull the 944 engine... and no, that hood will never close again.. we took the engine out from the top, susposed to go out the bottom.....

Oh well..

I think im going to either go to sleep, or go clean the sbc....

andrew

Andrew
dan10101
Well, it turns out I was right about this engine, it was someone's hot rod engine.

I checked the heads.. and guess what they are. The number for the heads are
333882.....74-80...350/400......76cc chambers

Makes things interesting! I wonder what other suprizes im going to find!

Hmm maybe we got a 350 after all..(yay!)

Andrew
dan10101
Checked the block, back of the block (couldnt tell with the engine in.. had alot of gunk on it, so I couldnt see anyways.

Well. When dad said "I cant tell what the numbers are,should we just pull it?"
Im glad I said, heck, sure why not.

Anyways. The back of the block has 3970*10, I cant tell what number the * is, but it looks like it could be a zero. I checked the codes sheet, and there was only one block with 3970. So therefore I assumed it had to me a zero.
Anyways, heres what they come out to be.
Due to the fact that the heads are what number they are, I can only assume that its a true 350.

3970010....302.....69....4...Z-28 Camaro
3970010....327.....69....2...Trucks and industrial
3970010....350...69-80...2 or 4

The PO must not have done a good job installing it or must have just installed it, because all the bolts where not very tight for the trani. Must have been a first time pull or something, but thats asside us now.

I'll post pics later, I have too much dirt on me to go to sleep..

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.