Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nurburgring Extravaganza
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
richardL
Guys,

I got back last night after an awesome weekend in Europe to visit and drive the historic old circuit at Nurburgring. Pictures at:

http://members.rennlist.com/rlinsdall/indexJ.htm

The pictures cover several events.

I went to Amsterdam to stay with a friend and we were joined by several British Boxster owners. We went for a visit to the Amsterdam Porsche dealership and were given a Cayenne Turbo to drive. It may look like a brick but it drives, handles and sounds like a real Porsche - we were all very impressed.

It is quite an experience to blast by 'regular' cars round a sweeping freeway ramp in such a big vehicle. It leans a little, but considering the speed we were doing it seemed to be defying gravity ohmy.gif

On Sunday morning we drove down to Southern Germany, to the Nurburgring. Unfortunately there were a lot of road works and hence speed limits on the autobahn. I had a go in the Boxster S and managed around 140mph though, which was fun.

The scene at the 'ring is amazing. It was incredibly busy with cars and spectators everywhere. We saw a Ruf Turbo, three or four GT2s and quite a few GT3s. Also lots of Lotuses, mainly Elise. Several 'specials' like the Noble and the Ariel Atom.

Anyone can drive the 'ring so there were regular Golfs and Hondas as well as the specials, Turbos and loads and loads of bikes. You are supposed to keep right to let faster cars by. There was even a tour party in a motorcoach blink.gif and a minivan with Granny in the back!

We were shown round by a guy from Oregon who lives locally and drives it all the time in his 968 ClubSport. He also gave me a ride which was great. The track is nearly 22km long (14 miles) with 173 turns so it takes a looong time to learn. I was happy just to get around (average of about 75mph, peak speed 125 or so). It really is awesome and is even wierder considering the crowds that come to watch.
We did 6 laps in all (80+ miles!).

On Monday we went to a Classic 911 club event in Amsterdam. The most interesting car I thought was the ex-Police Targa.

I can't wait to go back...

Richard
Hawktel
Humm Wailing down Nurburgring in a Porsche.

The problem is if I hit the high point of my life at 30, what am I going to do for the next 20 years?

aktion035.gif

Ed Hachtel
Jeroen
QUOTE(richardL @ Apr 23 2003, 06:51 PM)
There was even a tour party in a motorcoach blink.gif and a minivan with Granny in the back!

Hey Richard,

Yeah, and you guys were laughing at me when I told you so at the dinner friday tongue.gif

Glad to hear you had fun at the Ring...

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
So did you get your ass whooped by the "ring mini" ?

cheers,

Jeroen
richardL
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 23 2003, 12:45 PM)
So did you get your ass whooped by the "ring mini" ?

Absolutely flew by me. I couldn't believe how fast he was going. I used to have an 850cc blue minivan at college. It wasn't that fast. dave was very pleased that he wasn't the only one to be passed.

(It has a Honda VTEC engine, double wishbones all around and slicks)

There were a couple of tiny Opels racing each other and not letting anyone by. Later on they took themselves off. Unfortunately the Ringmini ended in the sand trying to avoid them and a Mercedes got shortened by about two feet. sad.gif

There was also a Golf with four big guys riding in it. Its brakes were smoking at every bend and smelled horrible.

Richard
Gint
Very, very cool Richard. Thanks for sharing the pics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.