Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Creamsicle saved!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Ferg…where are you? Your spotting of that Creamsicle in a field last year in Erie, CO has resulted in 914 Ownership by a new 914 convert. Ron D emailed me yesterday about his find and he gave me permission to share his great story with this BBS, he may even join in the fun here. He is all over that Creamsicle…it sounds like he has gotten it back into very nice shape. A follow-up email from him indicates that he has family here in the Bay Area who is an original 914 owner…with 250K on the clock. I will let Ron speak for himself…

Welcome Ron… biggrin.gif

“Jeff

I would like to thank you for your wonderful web page on these Limited Edition 914. Because of your Web Page I am now the proud owner of the VIN 15100 car found in a lot in Erie Colorado.

I had been looking for a 914 in good condition (no or little rust) 2.0 liter when I came across your site. Being new to 914's I had never heard or seen a LE car before. At least not that I would have realized. So naturally I looked to see if there was any in Colorado and there was that car in Erie. I live in Boulder Colorado which is about 20 miles from Erie. Erie is a 1 stop light town, so I took a bike ride out there to see if I could spot the car.

Sure enough there it was just like the picture. The shop owner said the owners just left it with him 6 years earlier and their phone had been disconnected. I looked at the old registration in the car (last registered in 1988) and started cold calling people in the town where registered with the same name. About the 6 or 7th call I found the original owner. The women who owned the car said that they had taken to this shop because the last shop didn't do a good job and it was still running bad. But her husband or son didn't follow-up on it and then the shop moved along with the car and then unfortunately the husband died and they didn't know where it was. I guess they really didn't care that much either. So I offered her $1,000 and she was ecstatic to get it.

Of course I had no idea what the engine was like, the car didn't run, and the brakes didn't work and all the tires were flat, but it is actually in very good condition and complete right down to the owners manual, original tool kit and black plastic wheel lug nut covers. Since it had been sitting outside for years there was a little rust under the battery tray. But that is about it. The trunks and floor boards look like new. Body has no dents but expected minor paint chips here and there.

I have had it for about 2 months now and have been concentrating on getting it running. Someone had taken the relay board and all the lines were shot. Everything has been replaced and it now runs. Engine is tight with good compression. I still have some issues with the fuel injection to work out. Obviously someone who worked on it before had no idea what they were doing. Fuel lines were installed incorrectly, (Tee return line installed in center supply port on fuel pump) timing was way off. Anyway it is mostly just the cold start-up idle that is the issue. When warmed it is strong.

A couple of corrections on the detail page. The mileage is actually 47,000. although the speedometer is not working, but it can't be too far off. The interior is black not tan, but in really good shape except for dash, but considering it was in the sun unprotected, not bad. The first time I opened the glove box a mouse jumped out on to my lap.

One other item I noticed different from your description on the way the cars were set up is that this one definitely has Boge shocks, not Koni or Bilsteins, has sway bars though as described. Another item was about black lug nuts. Mine are not painted but like I mentioned earlier they have black plastic covers on them.

So obviously I am having fun and again I really appreciate your page and thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

Ron Diederichsen
Boulder, CO”

It doesnt look this forlorn no more... smile.gif
Ferg
Holy Crap!!! man i must say i'm a little PO'd at myself for not being a little more dilligant about that car, and i'm a little po'd at the owner of the shop who told me that HE owned the car with a mechanic's lean and HE was not interested in selling, I knew I should have not believed him sad.gif . Great news that the car found it's way into the hands of someone who will care. Glad to hear that's its mostley rust free, it's been outside for at least 6 years!
Can't wait to see it on the road, and meet Ron.
Ferg.
914werke
Good Story Ron/Dave, I can confirm those two detail are Identical to my Creamsicle car.

R.
BMartin914
Great story, Ron.

Great to see another 914 rescued from an uncertain fate...especially in Colorado!

I'm with Ferg!

Can't wait to see it on the road, and meet Ron.

Ben
Pnambic
Sounds like a helluva deal! clap56.gif

Congrats and welcome!
RonD
smile.gif Thanks everybody. Yes Ferg the owner of the shop told me a similar story. But - he said he would sell it, except, he tells me the story about the owners phone being disconnected and such and that he had to first get the Mechanics Lein title.

I work for Boulder County in their Facilities Division and the Motor Vehicle Dept. is in one of our Buidlings, so I volunteered to help him though the process, but he said it was no problem and he would get back to me.

It's not that I didn't believe him but it didn't seem like it was one of his higher priorities, and I was getting kind of desperate. So I went to the DMV and did a VIN search with no luck, (because it had been purged from their files) and found out how difficult it really is to get a title this way. So I went back to the shop and one of his mechanics let me in the back and I wrote done the name on the registration and made the calls.

Sorry about that. But as understand you have a pretty nice 6 already.

Anyway hope to see you around.

Ron
markb
Nice job, Ron. Persistance pays off. It's nice to see 914s being brought back to life. Get it on the road & enjoy!! MDB2.gif
majkos
wub.gif Ooooh! Another 914 in Colorado and it's a "creamicle!" wub.gif Sounds like enough of an excuse for a "Gatherin'" Maybe we ought to have a proper "baptism" for Ron and now Ben!Suggestions?
Gint
RonD, Congrats on the purchase! A real live creamsicle right here at home. This I have to see. When's the unveiling?
VegasRacer
Nice catch and save Ron. biggrin.gif
I love a story with a happy ending.
skline
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jul 2 2004, 09:56 PM)
Nice catch and save Ron.  :D
I love a story with a happy ending.

Me too, happy endings are great. Speaking of endings, John, I have been watching that girl avatar of yours for weeks now, she just keeps walking and walking but her butt never seems to get any smaller, maybe she needs to change to running instead and facing us. Just a suggestion. Welcome to the board Ron, post some more pictures.
Rusty
Welcome, Ron! clap56.gif

Congrats on the great deal... persistence really paid off. I'm sure glad the old owner didn't decide she wanted the car, after you did all that work for her! smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.