Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exciting shift/tranny modification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sleepdoc
Hi All

I have been waiting for the denoumment of this thread over on Pelican. Check out the later posts re boxster S tranny installation.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....815#post1390815

"
Shifts like a Honda... Better! Short, very positive throws. No more crunches. 0 to 60 times cut by 5 seconds (shifting time). The gears are perfect, too. 5th and 6th are great cruising gears.

Everything I had hoped for. No cutting in the trunk required.

Now it accelerates great, corners great, stops great and (drumroll please), shifts great!
"
Joe Ricard
I now have a new goal for my car. pray.gif
bondo
Sweet! Will it hold up to a V8? I'll need something to replace my 901 eventually. What's your 75 mph RPM in 6th?
Andyrew
IPB Image

I would like to see how much $$ you have spent on this conversion..

That looks like it was pretty expensive, but judging by the look of your car, that didnt hurt to bad biggrin.gif

I must ask, how your rear flares where made? I can only guess that it was by forming new sheet metal and then welding it on.

They look very nice

(and simular..)
Jeroen
Call me a sceptic, but I'll believe it when I see it biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
IronHillRestorations
Sounds very cool!

The only thing I guess I'm curious about is the 0-60 times. The 3.0 conversion car I built a few years ago (and sold) would do 0-50 in a fudge over 5 sec. I don't know how you could shave 5 sec off a 0-60 time, which I don't remember. It was a little more than you'd expect though, as 2nd gear topped out at 57 MPH and the rev limiter.

PK cool.gif

ps very, very nice work
Mueller
it looks like they did what I said needed to be done: cut the bellhouseing and weld on a new one.

nice install, very nice car......

I wouldn't get too excited, it's going to be an expensive modification, I'm guessing the transmission plus the modifications to "bolt it right in" to our cars is going to be in the 3k to 4k range, if not more.

I'd like to see the rear of the car, does the transmission get in the way of where the mufflers goes?

Too bad he lives so far away, it would be nice to see this car in person smile.gif
Jeroen
Ok, I'm a believer biggrin.gif

IPB Image

cheers,

Jeroen
Air_Cooled_Nut
Well crap, now I have yet ANOTHER forum to read mad.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 3 2004, 05:50 AM)
it looks like they did what I said needed to be done: cut the bellhouseing and weld on a new one...

I wouldn't get too excited, it's going to be an expensive modification, I'm guessing the transmission plus the modifications to "bolt it right in" to our cars is going to be in the 3k to 4k range, if not more...

Hell, for that kind of money I'll build my own with my trusty MIG welder...doesn't look that hard!

ah...hahahahaha laugh.gif just fuckin' with y'all jester.gif
Aaron Cox
when i saw the price- w00t.gif ohmy.gif icon8.gif barf.gif blink.gif givemebeer.gif
Mueller
Hell, for that kind of money I'll build my own with my trusty MIG welder...doesn't look that hard!
ah...hahahahaha just fuckin' with y'all

this is what i planned on doing....I tried to buy a boxster transmission on eBay a few weeks ago, thing only went for $200 !!!!

it needed some work, but for that price, it would have been worth it for a little R&D smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

average price now for boxster S transmissions are in the 2K range, this guy might have bought a brand new unit, figure another $1000-$1500 to "convert" it to bolt-onto an air-cooled engine, I can see this being cost effective if you converted 5 or more transmissions at a time, that way the costs of everything can be split up.

not sure how good these would be for V8 cars, I thought I had read that the gears are pressed onto the shafts and do not use splines like our transmissions....this could be only for the standard Boxster and not the "S".... ????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.