Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kerry Hunter header with supertrapp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
'73-914kid
Okay, well after the new motor has been finished with a tad more compression, the supertrapp muffler is making me go deaf on the freeway. I'm almost to the point of needing earplugs on a trip over 30 minutes.. I can only imagine how much it annoys other cars on the freeway.

What have you others done to Kerry Hunter header setups to add a more quiet and better flowing muffler? I was thinking about just a cheap thrush muffler from kragen, but figured I ask around and see what others have done..

Anyone have soundclips or pictures of their setups?
matthepcat
Car chemistry exhaust inserts really helped with drone on my V8 conversion. They are cheap with no welding, and a good place to start.

http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/index.php...ct_list&c=3

'73-914kid
Well, I bit the bullet, and took my car to a muffler shop that one of my local PCA racers recommended, and for the first time in my life, paid someone to do work on my car....... $200 down the road, and I now have a brand new muffler setup for a Kerry Hunter header that soundsgreat, looks great, and was really built with craftsmanship in mind. I'm very pleased. I used a Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow, and I am amazed by the tone, and smoothness of the low RPM torque. Yay for scavenging mufflers!
driving.gif
Video and photos to come later..
wertygrog
Ha I was gonna suggest you buy the 4-2-1 header I'm selling in the classifieds. But what you have sounds like a great setup! beerchug.gif
sean_v8_914
there should be a rule against people teasing us about things they do to their cars without posting pictures.
Zundfolge
Oh I'm dying to see the pics ... My Kerry Hunter + Supertrapp works great but damn its loud.
'73-914kid
Well here's a crappy cell phone pic from when it was being installed.. It's too dark to really get a good picture right now.
Click to view attachment

I'll have videos tommorow of driveby's at cruise and WOT. It's loud when I want it loud, but nice and subtle when I want it subtle.
carr914
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Aug 6 2011, 11:43 PM) *

Oh I'm dying to see the pics ... My Kerry Hunter + Supertrapp works great but damn its loud.

My last 4cyl had the KH + Huge Supertrapp - I loved it ( but then again I run MegaPhones on my -6s). I used to drive through parking garages just to see how many car alarms I could set off happy11.gif

Click to view attachment
Zundfolge
So those pics and video ever come back from the developers?

tongue.gif
'73-914kid
Hey guys, I know it's been a while since I posted any updates on the muffler, but I finally got around to getting a video uploaded of the new muffler from the outside of the car. You'll have to excuse the odd shifting and lack of RPM's. My dad was driving the car, and he hadn't driven the 914 for a good long time was was not used to the clutch throw.

The first one is a somewhat cruise sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwvQXqDtpvI

and the second one is a closer to WOT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws9zAQqK1tQ
76-914
I heard Slits make that same exact noise a few weeks ago. He wasn't in a car either. bootyshake.gif
pcar916
I just like the SuperTrapps too much to replace them with quieter things yet... ear plugs-R-Us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zspZ1kWgYU

tornik550
I just did the supertrapp to flowmaster switch. I haven't driven the car yet however I ran it for awhile. The sound is way better with the flowmaster. It is a much deeper sound. I was always a big fan of the supertrapp however I (so far at least) am very happy I switched. I love loud cars- the louder the better. The supertrapp sound just gets annoying after awhile. The flowmaster is very loud also however a much better sound. I'll try to post a video once i'm finished.

My setup-
kerry hunter headers.
Flowmaster 40 delta flow

I did all of the work my self. It cost me about $100 and about 3 hours.
tornik550
I took my car out for the first drive after changing to the flowmaster from supertrapp. First- the car is still very loud however much more manageable. It doesn't drone like the supertrapp. It seems to overall run much smoother.

The biggest difference was the power. I was quite surprised by the difference. The car really slams you back into the seat on full acceleration- that wasn't the case with the supertrapp. I figured that it was possible that the sound was playing tricks on my head and just made it feel faster. I am certain that is not the case because my clutch never slipped before and now it does on full acceleration (my clutch is adjusted a little too tight).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.