Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Double grill engine lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
They dont look that hard to make. Anyone done it?
ein 6er
dude!!!

gt lid
ein 6er
dude ... wavey.gif

gt lid
SirAndy
dude boldblue.gif

IPB Image

but i cheated, i bought it ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
Dr Evil
Andy,
That is nice. It is kinda the look that I am going for with the duck tail.

ein 6er,
Dude, thanks! I forgot (realy damn lazy) to do a search rolleyes.gif
morgan
I have a duck spoiler 4 sale let me know
John
IronHillRestorations
The last project car I did, we used a GT engine lid, and only one of the torsion springs.

PK cool.gif
914rick
Just put one on my car a few weeks ago. Sergio does a nice job on the ones that he makes.
rick 918-S
Dude.. aktion035.gif
skline
Dude! I am doing mine with no grille at all. Dont need it for water cooled and it will keep my engine cleaner and dryer when I wash the car. Besides, I dont want people to be able to see what is inside. The suspense will keep them guessing.
jgiroux67
Would it be bad if water gets in the engine compartment? Im thinking of doing a gt lid but i wasnt sure if it was safe.
maf914
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 2 2004, 08:23 PM)
Dude! I am doing mine with no grille at all. Dont need it for water cooled and it will keep my engine cleaner and dryer when I wash the car.  Besides, I dont want people to be able to see what is inside. The suspense will keep them guessing.

Dude! That will be different. How do you plan to form the solid lid? That compound curve seems to give the GT grill makers a tough time. Look forward to seeing it. You have a really cool project car going on Scott.
Qarl
Dude!
skline
Where there is a will, there is a way. I am sure I will figure it out. Pictures to follow.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 3 2004, 06:36 AM)
Where there is a will, there is a way. I am sure I will figure it out.  Pictures to follow.

Hey! If you serious I have a spare lid I robbed the mesh off of for my GT Look Lid and access to an Eglish wheel. No promises until fall but I may be able to make the curved panel for you. If you need it sooner than that your on your own.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.. confused24.gif
skline
[quote=rich 918-S,Jul 3 2004, 07:57 AM] [/QUOTE]

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.. confused24.gif [/quote]
We didnt hijack the thread, its still about engine lids. Besides, Mike is into custom stuff. I am just waiting for him to get his corvair powered 914 going. How is that coming by the way Mike? This summer maybe?
rick 918-S
Now that's work! First the thing has to be switched to run backwards and the motor rotation has to change! A Cooolvair powered teeeener! Me likeeeeyyy!
campbellcj
I bought mine as well, maybe from the Sergio guy mentioned above. Then I gutted it out and removed the hinges and also the trunk torsion bars. Working in the engine compartment is SO much easier when you can pop the lid off instantly...
lmcchesney
Conversion to the GT engine lid seems to be popular. Some claim a decrease in oil temp with the conversion. There was a post here within the last month or two which measured the relative air pressure under speed at several sites. My memory is that the air pressure above the engine lid was significantly less than the pressure within the engine compartment. Thus, reverse flow. With this information, I cannot see how a GT conversion allows an increased cold air flow to the impeller and air intakes. No data thus far but, my son fashioned a scoup on our GT rocker panels and ran a 3" intake into the engine compartment for a cold air source. The other side has the scoup which is directed through the Oil Cooler. Now, I have to convience him to get the measurments.
L. McC
thesey914
If you are worried about the weather you could make a tonneau cover for your grill smile.gif
Martin Baker
I spoke with Sergio Meza yesterday, he has these pre-made for pick-up, ready to go. They are $200.00 ready to install. He told me that he would take $10.00 of that price for any grill material that you provide him. Even offered to meet me halfway to save me gas money when I pick it up. I am still considering whether or not to do it myself, I would have to buy a new saw, which I would more than likley never use again, I have two extra engine lids I can trade in for the credit. If anyone wants to contact Sergio, e-mail me or PM, for his info. He works at Duetsch Motor Sport as well. The tonneau cover is an excellent idea. stones.gif
machina
been thinking about making one out of one sheet of aluminum mesh, no frame.

I think it would save about 10lbs over the opened up stock lid.

dr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.