Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anybody done a vintage radio conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
I've got an FM mono deck in my car. I'm not looking for anything crazy, but switching to stereo and giving it a minor boost in power would go a long way. I love the stock look, so was looking for a kit that I could convert the internals with. I never found one, but did find these guys (http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/) who would do it for me. looks like it would be pretty expensive (like ~$400) but could be worth it if its high quality.

anybody done anything like this? or know of DIY kits like this?
PanelBilly
I was looking into this same thing last week and got a quote of 400 too. I figured I better make sure the radio I have "updated" is the right one to have in the car at that price.
windforfun
Be careful with this. Do your homework for that much $$$.
scott_in_nh
I've looked into this and as mentioned the radios are $$$.

So I looked at actual vintage Blaupunkt radios and, while some are expensive, there are some deals.

Some even show an input, usually on the back of the radio, that is claimed to accept music from an mp3 player - can anybody confirm this?

Add to that a small amp and better speakers and you have a nice vintage system that sounds good.

At least that's the plan.

when I'll actually get to this plan - we'll see! dry.gif
hydroliftin
QUOTE(bradtho @ Aug 6 2011, 10:07 AM) *

I've got an FM mono deck in my car. I'm not looking for anything crazy, but switching to stereo and giving it a minor boost in power would go a long way. I love the stock look, so was looking for a kit that I could convert the internals with. I never found one, but did find these guys (http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/) who would do it for me. looks like it would be pretty expensive (like ~$400) but could be worth it if its high quality.

anybody done anything like this? or know of DIY kits like this?

I had the OEM radio in a 1970 Datsun 240Z converted by Vintage Auto Radio Service http://www.vintageautoradio.com/index.php

They did a fantastic job of integrating the new electronics into the old shell and retained the next station seek function. I don't recall exactly what I paid but it was around $500. Well worth it to have that OEM look. The alternative is to keep the original radio and hide a tiny one in the glove box. Much cheaper and still retains OEM appearance.
Michael N
I use a saphire radio but have connected a satilite receiver through a amp in the truck and it works great. The radio tunes to a specific channel and I get to use the original radio for on/off and volume control. I can get reception anywhere. This is a older sirius receiver and I know their are much smaller units now.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
underthetire
IMO just get a small amp and a mp3 player, maybe one that has an fm tuner. I got one off evil bay just for the 914 for about 20 bucks. A small amp would be less than 50 bucks, and a couple cables. Dash stays stock.
aircooledtechguy
I have one of these in my 914. I really like it. My MP3 player has FM stereo as well. It's simple, indestructible completely hidden and works great.

Andyrew
Thats a cool little stereo Nate. A bit expensive though for just some electronic bits, but a pretty nifty idea!
johannes
Most Blaupunkt of the seventies were also available in Stereo.
johannes
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 8 2011, 11:35 AM) *

I have one of these in my 914. I really like it. My MP3 player has FM stereo as well. It's simple, indestructible completely hidden and works great.

Same from china ... cheaper

rnellums
I always get uneasy when I have to wade through poor English, but it seems the only way to supply power to that unit is through the plug in the later pictures, which looks like the type usually used with an AC to DC adapter.

It is WAY cheaper, but personally I think I would shell out a little extra to support American business, have better customer support, and what looks to me like a cleaner install.
Andyrew
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%2...1513&_pgn=7

Wow. Lots of WAY cheaper choices. Some for $10...

Hmmm
zonedoubt
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Aug 7 2011, 06:51 AM) *

Some even show an input, usually on the back of the radio, that is claimed to accept music from an mp3 player - can anybody confirm this?

Yes. My vintage Blaupunkt Frankfurt has a DIN connector on the back. In normal operation is has a cap on it with pins/jumper that allows the radio to function. With the cap unplugged and a homemade DIN to 3.5mm cable plugged in, I can pipe my iPod through the Blau to the speakers. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.