Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My "new" 914 will be here soon.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Just got a call from the trucker and my piece of crap 500 buck 914 from New Mexico will be here in about an hour. I can hardly wait to see how bad it really is/isn't. I'll try to post some pics as soon I can get some. I can't believe I'm actually excited about this thing arriving, but if it's not too bad I'll be driving a 914 soon...Yeah!! mueba.gif

Here's the evil-bay pic that suckered me in for 500 bucks.......
Qarl
I can already see $500 worth of parts from the one photo.

You done good!

clap56.gif
Trekkor
Looking foward to seeing that car.
That's the kinda deal only I'm supposed to get lol2.gif

Nice score. cool_shades.gif
rick 918-S
$500.00! ohmy.gif That's cooool! I hope the left side isn't stoved in or something.. laugh.gif
skline
Ok, well, its been an hour. Did the car arrive yet? How does it look? I know its dark out but get a flashlight and check it out and give us a post about what you find. We will expect a full photo layout in the morning. We can wait for that. But tell us what you find. We are waiting!

confused24.gif
Chris H.
Is it there yet? Huh? Is it? Is it there yet?

Wow that was a steal! New Mexico generaly means very little rust. Let's hope that's the case.
rick 918-S
boldblue.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif boldblue.gif
boldblue.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif boldblue.gif

Sorry tooo much coffeeeeee happy11.gif
sgomes
Rich said:

boldblue.gif  thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif  boldblue.gif  boldblue.gif  thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif  boldblue.gif  boldblue.gif  thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif  boldblue.gif

The only thing I have to add is:

boldblue.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif boldblue.gif

Shannon
Joe Bob
$500....wonder what the shipping was?
skline
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 3 2004, 09:45 AM)
$500....wonder what the shipping was?

$500 for the car and $800 shipping, I hope it is at least rebuildable. I still want to see the pictures and hear what he got for his money. Its been over an hour.
East coaster
Hah! The suspense is killing y'all.......Sorry had to go hang at the beach for a while.

Finally spent an hour playing with the car and getting some pics. I had to charge the battery and it actually fired right up and sounds pretty good. The shifter stalk was falling right out of the floor, so that's the first thing I fixed. HEre's a pic of the quicky weld I did so it would shift..........
East coaster
Once welded, it would shift and I fired it up and blasted around the neighborhood for a while. It seems to run pretty good. The clutch was sucking ass and was very touchy......so I jacked it up and went to adjust the cable and found a giant stck of spacers on the end of the cable. Hmmm....sounds like broken clutch tube?? So I checked the firewall and sure enough. vice grips got me another quick drive. The brakes seem good and the motor feels strong.

The interior is way shot....dash cracks, no door panels, torn seats, you name it, but who cares! it drives!!

RUST..........it's actually pretty damned rust free. It has a small hole just under the rear of the battery tray. Not quite a full "hell hole" but needs fixing. PO put some sort of patch plate under battery. It's not attached in any way, just sitting under the bat. I can't find any other rust. The trunks are clean, floors are clean and firwall is great except for clutch tube. The rockers are clean, jack posts, etc...all good...Yeah!

Here's a pic of the battery area........
East coaster
Here's a pic of the firewall/clutch tube area....
East coaster
Here a shot of some front turn signal damage, but not a biggie.
East coaster
Here's a shot of a 500 buck interior.......
East coaster
Another..........I wish it was still the original gold metalic. Maybe I'll put it back someday!
Red-Beard
Look at the cable. If the cable is woven, it is a Terry cable and the stack of washers is normal.

James
East coaster
Check this out.........it's got a rear defroster! I've never seen one in person! hope it comes out in the pic??
East coaster
So.........my 500 buck 914 ended up costing about 1500 with shipping, still not bad. The icing on the cake is the rear bumper is perfect and when I got it I looked inside and I see something in plastic wrappers inside. I look closer and it's a perfect set ( all 3 pieces and corners) of factory windsheild chrome trim still in the factory wrappers...Cool!

I hope to fix this thing up a little and drive it while I'm continuing with my 3.6 conversion project. I just need a 914 to drive for a while.......I was going through withdrawal!!
East coaster
Gotta get back to the beach......gotta funny story from last night when the truck showed up I'll share with y'all later. It's never dull with these cars!
Qarl
Okay... it's official.... you suck!

Ummm... not really. Nice score dude! boldblue.gif
islander914
Ya got maill
skline
Well, you got something to drive while your other one is in progress, must be nice. There is a repacement shifter you can install and they work great, its called a Rennshift. As for the rest of the car, doesnt look bad to me for what you paid for it. Keep them pictures coming.
rick 918-S
nice score. clap56.gif
Sandee
Hey NJ - what kind of plane is that???
East coaster
Sandee.........It's a Rans S-6 experimental. I built it about 10 years ago and it's still flying great. It's a blast to fly! I've done a couple of long distance trips with it, but mostly just buzz the beach. Are you a pilot?

Scott........I have a Rennshift for my 3.6 conversion car and although I haven't used it yet it looks like it will be great.

I found the cause of the shifting woes. The clutch tube broke off and was restricting the shifter inside the tunnel. So my next project is to repair (reweld) the clutch tube. This should take care of the clutch and shifting problems. I'll post some pics of the clutch tube repair.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jul 3 2004, 09:51 AM)
Another..........I wish it was still the original gold metalic. Maybe I'll put it back someday!

That looks like Delphi Green Metallic.
East coaster
it's L97G?? That's the metallic gold isn't it? It sure beats the shitty red it is now!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.