Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What size header tube's for 3.2-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeeperjohn56
Okay you guy's with six's, what size header's are best for a 3.2 six with a Dansk muffler 2in 2out, will be used mostly for street and spirited driving on the twisty roads. thanks for the help. John driving.gif
Mike Bellis
Don't you need an engine first? poke.gif
moparrob
You'll need the 1 5/8 inch size. For a great product contact Marty at MSDS. I think he is in the vendor forum. If not, he is in the Pasadena area if I recall.

He has beautiful ceramic coated headers for a good price.
rfuerst911sc
I have 1 5/8 on my big port 3.0 that I purchased from a Brumos Porsche swap meet a few years ago. That size seems to be a good compromise of torque vs. horsepower. I had them ceramic coated and that is the way to go for a finish. Depending on the header length you may have to add extension pieces to have enough length to meet the muffler.
Cairo94507
Hey John,

I see you are making the same decisions I am struggling with. I was kind of hoping in the back of my mind that I could use my factory heat exchangers but it seems like that won't really work with out a pretty significant loss of power I guess.

If I go with headers on my car I will go with the ones with the heat exchangers as I do want a heater in my car that works like the stock one. I definitely like the jet hot coating finish.

I would like to be able to use a stock muffler, I have one still in the box, but don't know if that will be possible for the same reason as the heat exchangers. Oh well, time will tell.

It was nice to hear Jeff's engine run (on the video).

See ya,
Michael
Series9
1 5/8" for 3.2. (edited. I misread the engine size as 3.6.)
SLITS
I would measure the ID of the stock 911 system and match that for a street car.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 7 2011, 08:38 AM) *

Hey John,

I see you are making the same decisions I am struggling with. I was kind of hoping in the back of my mind that I could use my factory heat exchangers but it seems like that won't really work with out a pretty significant loss of power I guess.

If I go with headers on my car I will go with the ones with the heat exchangers as I do want a heater in my car that works like the stock one. I definitely like the jet hot coating finish.

I would like to be able to use a stock muffler, I have one still in the box, but don't know if that will be possible for the same reason as the heat exchangers. Oh well, time will tell.

It was nice to hear Jeff's engine run (on the video).

See ya,
Michael

Since you already have a set, why don't you try the stock exchangers. If the power loss is significant, ditch them. If you don't feel much difference, you've saved yourself a ton of money and effort. Plus, I'm curious what will work on my engine. biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Aug 7 2011, 12:17 AM) *

Okay you guy's with six's, what size header's are best for a 3.2 six with a Dansk muffler 2in 2out, will be used mostly for street and spirited driving on the twisty roads. thanks for the help. John driving.gif

For a stock 3.2, 1 5/8" will definitely provide the most torque.
Steve
I run factory heat exchangers on my 3.2. It runs great and has alot more power than my 2.7 did with 1 5/8" headers. That being said I have not tried 1 5/8" headers on my 3.2 so I don't know what I'm missing.
I am also running Bursch quiet muffler.
jeeperjohn56
Hey Mike , I finally found one it should be here next week, The guy's taking his time, I put a deposit on it a week ago and is suppose to have it sent by Tuesday, Its a 84 3.2 that's been re-sealed and valves done and adjusted compression numbers are #1-171/5%, #2-169/4%,#3 170/5%, #4169/4%, #5-170/6%, #6-168/3% also the driver side tensionner was replaced all this was done 3k mile's ago. Geri's not happy with me right now she wanted half the money from the boat sell, but I'm spending it before she take's any, which mean's no loving for awhile and will be making my own lunches and meal's. But I hope she's just making me fell bad she made me dinner last night. Now I have to start the build I have been collecting for a year now, the motor was the last big part needed. Thanks Guy's for the input, this is the greatest place for information. Thanks John driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.