Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: eye-popping superformance cobra
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
this pic was sent to me, it's my brother's neighbor's car. i'll get some details on it soon...

Click to view attachment
NORD
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Aug 7 2011, 04:47 AM) *

this pic was sent to me, it's my brother's neighbor's car. i'll get some details on it soon...

Click to view attachment

I like the Super Performance Cobras. If I had a high performance hot rod
this is what I'd get. Painted Blue or Silver though. driving.gif
jmill
That is pretty. I put a deposit down on a kit once. They then promptly went out of business and I lost my cash. If you decide to get a kit, buy it all at once so your sure to get all of it.

It's the polar opposite of a 914. Can't corner near as well but screams like a raped ape in a straight line.
lotus_65
QUOTE(esses62 @ Aug 7 2011, 08:01 AM) *

polished aluminum

agree.gif
duly noted
Lou W
This is the Cobra that my nephew has. I think it's the same manufacturer as your brothers neighbor, his is aluminum body. The last couple of times that I've been down to his house, he took for for a spin on The Snake on Mulholland. What a blast driving.gif

Kirkham Motor Sports
carr914
Not interested - I've driven one. OK I guess, if you want to burn your feet and lots of rubber.

Owners tend to be the biggest bunch of knuckleheads you'll ever meet - know nothing about cars and will only talk to other Cobra repro guys
Drums66
.....very sanitary idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
damesandhotrods
I’ll be the first to admit that the teenager in me likes the idea. But the adult in me says that’ll pass everything except a gas station. My 2.0 four will merrily break any posted speed limit I’ve encountered, and more important grrrls dig it. What more do I really need?
turnaround89
How about one made from copper

IPB Image

ldsgeek
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Aug 7 2011, 10:49 PM) *

How about one made from copper

IPB Image

I don't know if that's more valuable as a car or for the srcap copper value right now.
zymurgist
Look into insurance before you dive into one of these. When I was shopping for classic car insurance for my Corvette and Porsche, most of the companies I looked at excluded Cobra replicas... specifically by name.
Cairo94507
My cousin has a Superformance Cobra replica with a 429 in it. I would like the car for cruising around town and looking cool if I was into that, but I am not. But no denying they make the best kit/replica.
matthepcat
Those new chrome paints have come really far. Amazing how much they can make it look like chrome and copper.

Matt
Randal

I'm up in Ashland.

Yesterday I saw an alumimum Cobra driving North on 99 just before the bridge.

The car was absolutely beautiful, just stunning, but will likely cause wrecks when people see it moving down the road. I mean it is very distracting and BRIGHT.

Actually it was hard to believe, i.e., a Cobra in Ashland?
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 8 2011, 07:51 AM) *

I'm up in Ashland.

The car was absolutely beautiful, just stunning, but will likely cause wrecks when people see it moving down the road. I mean it is very distracting and BRIGHT.

Lot of CA. money has moved to Ashland. They're welcome to it. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 7 2011, 01:54 PM) *
Owners tend to be the biggest bunch of knuckleheads you'll ever meet

I know a guy who owns a real one, and he fits your description perfectly ...
chowtime.gif

The chrome thing doesn't do it for me. I think a cobra has to be dark blue with white racing stripes ...
driving.gif
Drums66
.....I thought a Chrome car was against the law,,,,,,,,,I guess a lot of things
are that are done! idea.gif poke.gif
bye1.gif smoke.gif popcorn[1].gif
Mike Knox
Hi Randall!!

You wrote:

I'm up in Ashland.

I live in Ashland.

There's about 3 cobras in Ashland. Two are Kali transplants, one is owned by Allen DeBoer, one of the owners of Lithia Motors.

Mike
Mike Knox
Hi JP!!

You wrote:

"Lot of CA. money has moved to Ashland. They're welcome to it."

I live in Ashland and have live all but two years of my life in this valley. I'm 62.

We call it the ripple effect. we're just the closest ripple to the border. Lots of Kali's come up here buy a house, live on their assets and then can't make the payments. So they move back to Kali. The housing crash is serious shit around here, but not half as bad as Kali.

While the "equity emigrants" are here, they try to change Oregon into Kalifornia.

My state is not the same anymore. Makes me want to drink ripple, but I'm three years sober.

Mike
badm
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 7 2011, 12:54 PM) *

Not interested - I've driven one. OK I guess, if you want to burn your feet and lots of rubber.

Owners tend to be the biggest bunch of knuckleheads you'll ever meet - know nothing about cars and will only talk to other Cobra repro guys

I'm insulted! laugh.gif Badm

Click to view attachment
zymurgist
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 8 2011, 12:52 PM) *

The chrome thing doesn't do it for me. I think a cobra has to be dark blue with white racing stripes ...
driving.gif

agree.gif

IPB Image
eric9144
Slightly off topic but since we're on the Cobra thing--this is why our wives etc wont generally allow the "motorcycle in the living room" thing to EVER happen...because if they did, here's what most of us would be doing happy11.gif :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kC0VfWkAbQ
rnellums
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 9 2011, 08:36 AM) *

Slightly off topic but since we're on the Cobra thing--this is why our wives etc wont generally allow the "motorcycle in the living room" thing to EVER happen...because if they did, here's what most of us would be doing happy11.gif :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kC0VfWkAbQ

something tells me he doesn't have that wife anymore...
1970 Neun vierzehn
If I were gonna have a Cobra, It would be this....289, wires, BRG, the original iteration.
stewteral
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Aug 7 2011, 04:47 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hey Lotus_65,

I don't believe the Cobra clone is actually a Superperformance car as all theirs have fiberglass bodies. My guess is that it is one of the Polish-built cars with an aluminum body as per the originals. I love the polished aluminum finish.

Of course ALL the clones are patterned after the RARE 427 SC (Street Competition) Cobra with the true Holman & Moody NASCAR 427 engine with single Holley carb. All the other "427" Cobras actually had 428 T-Bird engine with dual quads. On point, this car has a 427 Ford with a single Quad.

Another detail is that the original Cobras had a fiberglass hood scoop, not aluminum, but that wouldn't work with the all-polished finish.

BTW: per you handle, do you still have the '65 Lotus, I'm guessing Elan? I have a
'69 Factory Elan shop manual I would love to move on to a Lotus Lover.

Best,
Terry
matthepcat
Does everyone think that this is actually polished chrome?

I keep seeing comments that lead me to believe this.

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/mirrachrome.htm
mepstein
All billet and polished aluminum built for Oracle CEO Larry Ellison - Just the book showing the build cost $4,500.00 but you can look at the pdf's for free.

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/book_aoe/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.