Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Grease Caps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
how do you get these things off WITHOUT damaging them?

mine look pretty torn up anyway, so i feel fine just taking the channel locks to them, but does anyone have some special tips?

thx

beer.gif
Joe Bob
Channel locks....grip top and bottom then rock them up and down....they are covered by the center caps anyways....
ArtechnikA
ChannelLock is pretty much the hot setup. grip near the outer edge to avoid crushing. the owner's manual shows prying with a screwdriver blade while using another crossways as a fulcrum -- i can see that this'd be easier with a /6's studs, but maybe you could screw a couple of lug bolts in to provide a more positive stop. anyway - i've used a combination the pry method, the ChannelLock method, the beat it with a rubber, then brass hammer, followed (in certain very stubborn cases) by the heat it with a torch then beat it off with a hammer method...
jimtab
I usually have the best luck with a cold chisel, I use it like a really wide blade screwdriver and stick it between the cap and the backplate and TWIST not pry and when it starts to move then it will usually come off by hand. That way they dont end up looking like they have been "rode hard and put up wet". Good luck.
Andyrew
Channel locks and rocking like Mike said.

I didnt believe it, till I saw my dad make my 5 mins of pulling mince meat from his 5 seconds of rocking..

Andrew
Porsche Rescue
BIG channel locks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.