Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 1970 914/4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
JimmyG
What I have is a 1970 signal orange 914/4 that I am reluctantly going to let go. I had hopes that I would have time to restore this car but my kids will be keeping me too busy for the next 10 years so this will not be possible. If you look around, you can find '73s and '74s all day long because they seem to be better protected over time. The 1970-1971 cars were abused and thrown away with the only exception being the 914-6. I spent a year looking for this car. This car was bough for a parts car for another project. Fortunately I did not have to use too many parts from it. This would be a great car for somebody to restore. It is still totally original.

The engine: It has 4cylinder fuel injected engine and has not been changed in any fashion. I have not done the COA but by the looks of the engine it would be number matching. The transmission is an original tail shift. I tried to crank it some time ago and there is low compression on a cylinder or too so it did not crank. But it does not have any interference issues. It would require a top end to get it to run. I ran through the gears and see no problems with the transmission either. Seems to shift ok. The fuel pump has not been changed and is in its original position.

The body: The car has the usual rust issues but nothing too severe. The car could be repaired by a beginning without the need for jigs and so forth. It would need a small patch in the wheelhouse. The suspension console seems to be ok. I would recommend reinforcement for the outer long and the inner would be a good idea due to the cars nature. The floor pans all look pretty good and would not need much repair. The car has the usual dings and bruises from being in a parking lot. The driver's side door, as pictured, is a different color. I took it off to use some of the parts and ended up putting another door on which has all of its window parts. The original door was also rusted along the bottom edge, as many are. Some time later I bought a good usable core that is machined for the early cars because my plan was to restore this car. The rear trunk lid is also a different color but is in nice restorable shape. There are also two cut-outs in the lower windshield cowl that I needed for another project. This is easily fixed. There is some rust in the front seal trough that would need to be repaired. This is also pretty common. Front bumper looks pretty straight. Rear bumper is later, rounded version, without a bumper top. The engine lid is straight and also has the correct drip tray which is in nice shape. This is a very rare, sought after part. The lid grill with lettering is missing but is easy to find and replace. What I was planning to do was to take the engine out, steam clean the whole under belly, do the rust repair and support additions, and paint the entire car, including engine bay, door jambs, trunks. Signal orange is a beautiful color when finished.

The interior: Interior on this car is really pretty nice. It has an almost perfect early dash pad. This alone is really important for restoration and extremely hard to find in this shape. It also has a period correct radio. Might be the original, I'm not sure, looks right though. All of the original Perlon carpet is there. Doesn't look really nice but could be cleaned and used. The floor mats are in the rear trunk on top of the door core. The back pad and passenger seat are really nice with no rips or tears and is pliable. The only problem with these parts is that at some point the interior light came out and the hot bulb touched the vinyl and melted it slightly, not through, just no longer perfect. The driver's seat was used for parts, looks bad and would need to be repaired or replaced. The rear window glass is missing. I used it for another car for the ultra rare rear window defogger. The rest of the parts for that are still in the car. I also will throw in a second rear window with a defogger. This is a very unnecessary option as window never fogs up but the car was born with it and I want to make it possible for you to put it back.

In the state of Alabama, titling is not required before 1975. I have not transferred this vehicle into my name but have title and documentation where I purchased the car in Pennsylvania. I will do what you need to make sure you are able to register the car in your state. I loaded the pictures for this vehicle on webshots to view. I also has a 1971 body that has less rust that would be a great body donor to totally restore the '70 car.The 71 body is also on webshots for you to look at. It does not have flares. The one flare that is pictured has been removed. Using both cars became my plan and I will make a package deal if you are interested in both cars. This is not a buy and sell and make a dollar or two for me. Both of these cars are years of investment for me and I hate to see them go. Hopefully, I will get to see this car again restored.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/574323392qZazXX?vhost=rides

$2000 for both cars $1700 for signal orange 1970 car. Pick up only.

Let me know if I can answer any questions or be of any help.

Thanks. Jimmy
JimmyG
I'm I way off on the price? This is a couple of good cars. Surly there is someone needing a good project or a parts car for a -6.
jim_hoyland
IPB Image

Good luck with the sale

JimmyG
Thanks Jim! I appreciate you putting the pic up. The loading of pics here is smarter than I am!
JimmyG
Someone make me a fair offer for these cars. I don't want to send them over to Ebay.
dflesburg
problem here is "pickup only"

it isnt hard to ship a car and they can go collect.
JimmyG
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Sep 1 2011, 09:59 AM) *

problem here is "pickup only"

it isnt hard to ship a car and they can go collect.

Woops! I may have not been clear on my statement.. If someone wants to arrange shipping I will help in getting the car to them. I would just wish the buyer being happy with the car they bought so pick up only was for that reason. I have used this site for many years and want the buyer to be happy...thats all. If you want, I will help anyway I can. If the 70 only is gone I will take the other body to a local recycle shop for the steel and that will be that, A real shame though since one will complement the other.
I will help in any way I can to get this car restored.
JimmyG
bump.. still F/S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.