Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can KONI front struts be rebuilt?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim912928
Hi all, I've now turned my attention in my 5-lug venture to the front end. 914 strut assemblies came out very easy. I pulled the struts out of my 911 units and low-and-behold the strut tubes were filled with oil...I don't think that is a good thing. Can Koni's be rebuilt?

I then pulled the struts out of my 914 and they are clean and in great shape...but they are Mulholland brand? Name I've associated more with american hot rods.

So, can you rebuild or should I use the Mulhollands?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Jul 3 2004, 12:46 PM)
Hi all, I've now turned my attention in my 5-lug venture to the front end. 914 strut assemblies came out very easy. I pulled the struts out of my 911 units and low-and-behold the strut tubes were filled with oil...I don't think that is a good thing. Can Koni's be rebuilt?

I then pulled the struts out of my 914 and they are clean and in great shape...but they are Mulholland brand? Name I've associated more with american hot rods.

So, can you rebuild or should I use the Mulhollands?

putting a bit of oil into a strut tube is a standard trick to vastly improve the transfer of heat from the damper to the strut tube. if you have sealed dampers and they exhibit significant resistance to being extended and compressed, they're probably fine, and your 911 struts were assembled by someone who knew what they were doing.

if you don't have a sealed damper insert - just some piston stuff - that's what an original-equipment Boge looked like. if you say you have Kino struts, i'd very seriously doubt that's what you're seeing.

the Mulholland dampers were okay OEM dampers but the Konis are better. if they work - and you'll know in a flash by exercising the damper if they don't - you're probably good to go.
jim912928
Thanks for the info....I cleaned all the oil off the Koni's (look new now) and did the resistance checks...yep, both show resistance and it builds as I pump. They actually show more resistance then the Mulhollands do.

Looks like I'm sticking those Koni's on....good match for the Koni's I have on the back now!

Thanks for the advice.....Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.