Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix electronic ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
Anyone have a Pertronics? Are they worth the investment?
Thanks
Will
Trekkor
I put in a module on my car a couple of months ago.
They are " set and forget ".
Great at all RPM ranges.
No " point float ". Eliminates tune-up's.
What more can I say? It's an easy install that works, car's never run better. Easier starting. clap56.gif

Some people don't like them. I don't know why? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 3 2004, 05:41 PM)
Some people don't like them. I don't know why? confused24.gif

cause they can *burn* out without completely failing and you serach for weeks trying to find the cause ...

wink.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
If'n you run one it is always a good idea to stash the points in the glove box.
Bruce Allert
LUV mine beer.gif

.....b
Joe Bob
Carry a set of points for when they fail....not IF.....
fiid
I've had pertonics in my car since just after I bought the thing a year ago. It has not caused any problems - although I have heard that is can cause arcing at the plugs. :-)
Chris H.
Smoothed out my low end and idle big time.
GWN7
So what's better? If pertonics are choice 1 to replace the points what is better?
anthony
I've had no problem with my Pertronix. It made my jumpy timing mark rock steady. I've heard you can burn up a Pertronix by leaving the key in the on position too long so I avoid that.
Trekkor
So...Here's the deal. They are great until they break.
But, what else is new. EVERYTHING breaks.

Carry a spare motor...I do. lol2.gif
anthony
Yeah but they seem to break more often than other products like the Crane or Compufire. If mine goes caput I'll probably get the Compufire.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Had the Compufire for over 5 years, no problems whatsoever. Had Pertronix for 3-4 years, no problems. My VW now has the Compufire distributorless system and I LOVE IT!
wheelo
Pertronix was a "no-brainer" upgrade, more efficient and smoother, than mechanical points. Just stash points and cond. in glovebox,
(just in-case) Saves on towing !
driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.