Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shift transmission install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
So I've got the transmission in, all of the linkage hooked up and I can hear what sound like the transmission shifting but don't have any gears. I rebuilt this transmission at the Dr Evil clinic. My question is when connecting the linkage at the transmission is there a certain position the shifting ball should be in. I have replaced all of the bushings and lined up the conical set screws with the holes in the linkage rods, I believe that it is correct and have followed the shifter adjustments which feels like I have all of the gears with first and reverse a little questionable.

Thanks,

Jsaum
914itis
Yeah the same thing happned to me. You have to adjust the shifter. As I can remember. You have to put the trany in 2nd gear then make sure the shifter is free then start from there . I had to keep trng for about a week before getting it right. If its not done right, you may Not be able to find some of the gears. I know that there is an instruction on Dr Evil's book .I am sure someone will Send you a link soon.
jsaum
I figured it out I took the set screw out and got in gear and ran it on the jack stands until I got it to shift, that's the good news. The bad news is I seem to have a bad or miss adjusted 4th gear, it goes in but jumps out as soon as I let off of the gas. 2nd and 5th are good as well as 1st and reverse.

Jsaum
76-914
Are you sure it is adjusted right. Sounds like it isn't going completely into 4th. Check the travel on the 4-5 side.
jsaum
I'll try some more adjusting this week! I did try to adjust for 4th but still had it jump out after I let off of the gas 5th seems fine. I hope it's just an adjustment!

Jsaum
Red-Beard
With the transmission in 2nd gear, you want the shifter just barely touching the lockout plate. This give 2nd-3rd a "slot". 4th-5th is all the way right and rev-1st you have to push hard against the lockout plate.

Now move the shifter forward until it is all the way forward. Back off about 10 degrees. Tighten the bolt.

Now check to see how far back the shifter goes when in 3rd 3rd gear. If it seems too far forward when you're in 3rd, put it back in second and adjust as above but back it off just a little more.

A question for you: Have you taken the shifter apart and replaced the 2 bushing and spring that are "above" the lockout plate? These are not the lockout springs, but a 1" diameter spring and 2 bushing. These will make the shifter more solid. Also, I like to expoxy the shift rods where they contact the shift bushings, then sand them to a very tight fit.

James
jsaum
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Aug 9 2011, 08:47 AM) *

With the transmission in 2nd gear, you want the shifter just barely touching the lockout plate. This give 2nd-3rd a "slot". 4th-5th is all the way right and rev-1st you have to push hard against the lockout plate.

Now move the shifter forward until it is all the way forward. Back off about 10 degrees. Tighten the bolt.

Now check to see how far back the shifter goes when in 3rd 3rd gear. If it seems too far forward when you're in 3rd, put it back in second and adjust as above but back it off just a little more.

A question for you: Have you taken the shifter apart and replaced the 2 bushing and spring that are "above" the lockout plate? These are not the lockout springs, but a 1" diameter spring and 2 bushing. These will make the shifter more solid. Also, I like to expoxy the shift rods where they contact the shift bushings, then sand them to a very tight fit.

James

I'll give it a try before I pull the transmission.
Thanks,
Jsaum
Dr Evil
I wish I saw this thread before addressing the other. You are not correctly aligned.

Link below to my 31 pages of notes and check the adjustment section. You need to hook all the stuff up, then adjust from the pinch bolt in the tunnel with the car in 2nd or 3rd (brief version).
jsaum
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 9 2011, 09:22 AM) *

I wish I saw this thread before addressing the other. You are not correctly aligned.

Link below to my 31 pages of notes and check the adjustment section. You need to hook all the stuff up, then adjust from the pinch bolt in the tunnel with the car in 2nd or 3rd (brief version).

Mike,

Thanks for the reply I'll give it a go and see if I can get it adjusted. I have everything connected and have all of the gears, but 4th and 5th do seem to be a little narrow on the pattern.

Thanks,

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.