Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What heads for my 2258?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I built a 2258 shortblock last year and it has been sitting until I could get proper heads.
When I started on the engine, my goal was to build an auto-x engine. Now I simply want to drive the car on weekend- no racing. I do not plan on reving the engine very high. At most, spirited street driving.

I am not sure what I should do, if anything to my heads. I would prefer to keep things the way they are but I also do not want to harm my engine.

Here is my current setup-
2258 (78mm crank, 96mm pistons)
weber 44idf
Cam lift .507, lift at .050 is .262, duration 298
I have a freshly rebuilt set of very nice 2.0l heads

So- my options are:
-leave things the way they are
-have the current heads ported and polished
-p&p with larger valves

please keep my wallet in mind
Jake Raby
Without head work that combo will make a ton of torque, but will be out of steam at 4,500 RPM and won't really be good at anything except drinking gas.

tornik550
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 7 2011, 11:13 PM) *

Without head work that combo will make a ton of torque, but will be out of steam at 4,500 RPM and won't really be good at anything except drinking gas.

So would P&P (of coarse by a competent technician) be sufficient for my purposes or should I get them ported/polished and enlarged for bigger valves?

Thank you in advance!
HAM Inc
Porting the 2.0 914 heads without up-sizing the intake valves will be counter-productive. This involves installing new valve seats.

You mentioned that your heads were rebuilt. Did they receive new seats at that time. If not you might as well get them ported and have new seats installed. Otherwise you could be kissing some high dollars goodies goodbye when a factory seat comes lose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.