Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn Door bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wallys914
when my fabricator put in the door bar he didn't compensate for the interior door handle and he of course put it at the same angle so it blocks the use of the door handle from the inside (I guess thats a safety hazard??? confused24.gif ) . He was suppose to relocate it for me, but we had a falling out and now I am stuck with this task...

Options I have thought of:

1 - I relocate the damn door bar all together - issues with this - I don't tig and it's a lot of work

2- I have tried moving it up or down but it seems that it screws with the angle of the latch mechanism and it doesn't open right.

3 - thought about having an internal solenoid button to open it from the inside. I have my doubts though... (Cool idea/ Expensive)

Any other thrifty or brilliant ideas....

ldsgeek
How about something like a GT door pull. Attach a strap to the door and then to the door latch where the rod goes. Pull the strap and the door opens.
eric9144
Do a search for the RS style door panels--they use a pull strap to open the door instead of the stock handle, it would work very well and look pretty too!

You could either rig one up, or buy them on ebay...

Here's a screen shot of them from the ebay listing.
Click to view attachment
r_towle
its just pulling that rod.
Move it up and re-bend the rod till it works.

Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 8 2011, 08:02 AM) *

Rich

agree.gif the RS panel will most likely put the strap in an even worse spot. As far as welding you don't need to tig. If you can mig you can do the job.
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 8 2011, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 8 2011, 08:02 AM) *

Rich

agree.gif the RS panel will most likely put the strap in an even worse spot. As far as welding you don't need to tig. If you can mig you can do the job.

you could also just bolt it in place...no welding needed.

Rich
Rand
No Rich, you MUST tig door handles. poke.gif

Move the handle, not the bar. It's a simple mechanism. The RS concept can be located where you like (with some ingenuity).
GeorgeRud
welder.gif If you want to go all the way, be sure to use a pulsed TIG welder! biggrin.gif
stugray
either lengthen or shorten the rod and relocate the handle with the rod at the same angle.

Stu
scotty b
Weld the door shut and remove the handle all together confused24.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.