Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for the paint guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
I knew this would be hard to do. I removed the original Porsche stripes, that had been on since new. I plan to replace them. the vinyl was easy to remove, a little heat and off it came. Now, all the very old glue residue is there. I tried mineral spirits and I tried Goo Gone, but I am barely able to remove any of it.

Any ideas how I can get this sticky crap off and not damage my original paint??
hedgehog
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 8 2011, 12:07 PM) *

I knew this would be hard to do. I removed the original Porsche stripes, that had been on since new. I plan to replace them. the vinyl was easy to remove, a little heat and off it came. Now, all the very old glue residue is there. I tried mineral spirits and I tried Goo Gone, but I am barely able to remove any of it.

Any ideas how I can get this sticky crap off and not damage my original paint??

they have a deal that feels alot like a pencil eraser....most automotive paint supply houses have them....made for removal of trim residue...should be able to get one that goes in a drill....
scotty b
Quite honestly most of the time I just rub it off with my thumb. Gets the job done, doesn't damage anything ( except for your thumb for a couple days ) and works as quickly as anything else

An eraser wheel is a great way to go BEFORE you remove the vinyl. Once the sticker is off an eraser wheel will do little good on the glue only.
stugray
There is a sticker remover in a spray can that you can get at the auto parts store.

A little pricey, but I tried the goo gone as well and gave up and bought the stuff.
You still have to remove the sticker first, but it will remove the adhesive quickly without hurting the paint.

Stu
AZ914
I was recently removing the firewall adhesive (pain) and tried Goo Gone. It kind of worked. Then I went and got a can of 3M Adhesive Cleaner. While wet, the stuff comes off pretty well, with a rag. It says it is paint safe.
charliew
Try mineral spirits if you already have some. I also have used my thumb but be careful you don't make a blister. If you gotta go to town get the 3m adhesive remover. as others have said the little disk finger eraser in the drill only works on the whole sticker not the glue by itself in my experience.
RFoulds
Thanks everyone. Off to the paint supply store I go.
dlestep
...try WD-40 to remove it...
JStroud
QUOTE(dlestep @ Aug 8 2011, 03:37 PM) *

...try WD-40 to remove it...

agree.gif works great on most adhesive residue, won't hurt the paint.
tod914
The 3m Adhesive remover and cleaner is a great product for that. The red can version is NLA in NJ. I presume it's illegal in CA too. I ordered it online. I also wash it off with soapy water immediatly after. No adverse effects on the paint. Cleans off gunk real well too. Had to use it to get the grimmey mold off the paint on the green car. Use a respirator and thick nitrile gloves when you use it. Wurth Citrus degreaser works too.. but not as effectively as the 3M.
Will have to try the WD40 sometime! Sounds like a great tip.
mburkhart
I used the 3M Adhesive Remover recently when I replaced the sail panel vinyl. It worked best if I let the glue residue soak for a few minutes, and I still had to rub it off with a dish towel (a cloth one, paper towels would shred). I wasn't too worried about the paint as it was going to be hidden under the new vinyl, but it didn't seem to have any effect on the paint anyway. Once I had most of the glue off, a second spray and wipe would easily take off the rest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.