Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Ball Joints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmill
What a PITA. Bought a 911 front suspension with everything still attached. I pressed off the rubber bushings and tried attacking the ball joints. Damn things are pissing me off. They're in like country music. I can't reef on them hard enough to break them loose. Tried an impact, tried using my press to push down on the socket while I spun it. Damn near knocked my press over. Is there a secret to it besides installing A arm with TB and using the jack under the socket trick?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 8 2011, 08:37 PM) *

What a PITA. Bought a 911 front suspension with everything still attached. I pressed off the rubber bushings and tried attacking the ball joints. Damn things are pissing me off. They're in like country music. I can't reef on them hard enough to break them loose. Tried an impact, tried using my press to push down on the socket while I spun it. Damn near knocked my press over. Is there a secret to it besides installing A arm with TB and using the jack under the socket trick?

I had to take my teener to my mechanic and it still took him over an hour on one ball joint. You are taking about 35+ years of frozen!
76-914
Are you talking about the large castellated nut that holds it on from the bottom? Heat it with a torch. It's off the car and the ball joint is toast anyway. Or use a 2lb hand sledge and a cold chisel. And my personal favorite, the 14" pipe wrench. smash.gif
dirk9141973
agree.gif This is get a bigger pipe wrench job. Your not going to save old ball joint ??
Dr Evil
Dremel with a cut-off wheel. The new nuts are about $14. Cut the old ones, be done smile.gif
wingnut86
Yep.

Removed 7 of these off used A-Arms in the past 9 months. NO, I'm definately not the expert. That person probably died a slow death for never sharing the ultimate secret with all of us here...we can only hope mad.gif

Hammer, heat, chisel, pipe wrench and dremel - They all work.

The choice is whether you want to work out on your A-Arm or that new P90 kit gathering dust in the corner closet blink.gif

I didn't say that...I was never here...
Series9
Air chisel.

jmill
Thanks guys. I figured I'd have to cut them off. The old ball joints are toast. It's the gland nut type deal where you need a special socket. Couldn't see spending $50 for the Porsche tool. Took the A arm to my local auto parts store and found that Dodge has a similar tool for $13. It aint perfect but close enough for the girls I run with.
Red-Beard
Listen to Mike. I've done a couple of these and I "THINK" I still have a ball joint around. Buy the nut and cut off the old one. Remember to use an anti-sieze when you re-install. The "tool" is really only for installation.
scotty b
The right tool does the trick rather nicely poke.gif
Red-Beard
If it is rusted, that tool will do no good...

Back when I was still in San Diego, the Dr. and I were trying to remove the ball joint from "The Blond" and they never moved. We put a jack inbetween to try to give more leverage and it always slipped off. Finally I cut it with a dremel and bought the nut.
scotty b
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Aug 9 2011, 07:51 AM) *

If it is rusted, that tool will do no good...

Back when I was still in San Diego, the Dr. and I were trying to remove the ball joint from "The Blond" and they never moved. We put a jack inbetween to try to give more leverage and it always slipped off. Finally I cut it with a dremel and bought the nut.

this one was special made from hardened steel and is quite a bit thicker and a more precise fit . I have yet for it to fail, sometimes heat is required
jmill
That is real pretty Scotty. wub.gif

The Dodge tool is hardened steel also and it has a shoulder to keep it centered on the nut. I'll take a picture later today. The shoulder is a pinch wider than the nut but it still locks it in tight. The teeth are also a bit narrower than the slot in the nut. No big deal because they lock in after a small revolution. For $13 it's still better than the mild steel Porsche tool at 1/5 the price.

The main problem I have is I can't hold the A arm still and the socket square to the nut at the same time.

Here it is:
scotty b
No bench vise ? How about a couple of C-clamps and a table or trailer ?
pete000
I just did three sets of these off the car. I ended up soaking them for a couple days with PB Blaster.

Then heated them as hot as I could with my torch.

Used the proper tool and an extension on my socket wrench and they all cracked free. I was amazed how tight they were, but they all surrendered to the miracle of leverage !
Eric_Shea
P210 and a MAPP torch. Never fails.
rhodyguy
Aero-Kroil for x2,3,4 2 days, air chisel. the castlated nut will jsut about turn its self off.
andys
QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 9 2011, 09:24 AM) *

That is real pretty Scotty. wub.gif

The Dodge tool is hardened steel also and it has a shoulder to keep it centered on the nut. I'll take a picture later today. The shoulder is a pinch wider than the nut but it still locks it in tight. The teeth are also a bit narrower than the slot in the nut. No big deal because they lock in after a small revolution. For $13 it's still better than the mild steel Porsche tool at 1/5 the price.

The main problem I have is I can't hold the A arm still and the socket square to the nut at the same time.

Here it is:

John,

What is "The Dodge Tool?" I've seen similar one's at Autozone, but none were the right size. Do you have a P/N or application or source or all three?

Thanks,
Andys
jmill
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 9 2011, 01:33 PM) *

No bench vise ? How about a couple of C-clamps and a table or trailer ?

I've got a bench vice but no bench heavy enough to mount it on. Been meaning to weld up a pedestal bolted to the garage floor to mount it on. Might be time to do that now.

QUOTE(andys @ Aug 9 2011, 03:51 PM) *

John,

What is "The Dodge Tool?" I've seen similar one's at Autozone, but none were the right size. Do you have a P/N or application or source or all three?

Thanks,
Andys

I just have vague info. I read over on Pelican that a 4wd Dodge axle nut socket worked. I took my A arm to Advance Auto Parts and tried a bunch of specialty Dodge sockets. Found one made by Autocraft in 2 1/4" that fit damn close so I bought it. Never payed attention to what it was supposed to fit.

I checked the nut with a calipers and it's @ 2.08" My socket has @ .17" of slop at 2.25". It's close but not perfect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.