Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DAPO tricks....trashed an axle on Wyld Thang....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Should have checked them myself....but the inner CV bolts looosened up and I munched the roll pins and the inner flange......I got home by hand tightening the bolts and driving home slowly.

Next time they will be safety wired.... wacko.gif

Moral of the story....allways put the car on the rack and check DAPO stuff like this.....
rick 918-S
Ya mine loosen up during the first 150 miles. Luckily I discovered it before the WCC AX. Safety wire is on the list for this falls tear down.
sanman
The same thing happen to me with the addition of the front lug nuts (were also hand tight)
Only had to drive it home from where I agreed to meet the transporter about 2 miles
I noticed the noise about 1/2 way home. Got out to check had only 3 on each side(Front!!) Hand tight. Carefully drove it home. I Noticed the cv bolts during the engine drop whats next ? I will now replace, check, and tight untill I am comfortable with driving it or sawzall-smiley.gif just kidding.
Rusty
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 4 2004, 08:10 PM)
Next time they will be safety wired.... wacko.gif

Mike,

Do you purchase them pre-drilled, or do it yourself? smash.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 4 2004, 08:51 AM)
Do you purchase them pre-drilled, or do it yourself?

i'm not MIke but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ...
no, that's not right - but i do safety-wire my CV bolts ...

i've never seen them commercially pre-drilled. it's not hard to do yourself, but it is tedious.
having access to a drill press helps. buy a bunch of cobalt 1/16" bits.

use a small grinding disk in a Dremel tool to make a small flattened spot on the outside of each socket. this not only makes a flat place to start the drilling but cuts through the hardened surface. then feed patiently, if you see the chip curl you'll know you've got the right touch. i wouldn't count on being able to do much more than half the bolts on one bit - those bolts are hard (OTOH - cobalt bits are better than anything i had access to the last time i drilled a full set ...) i usually break at least one bit which is a PITA but you'll survive.

then - the truly anal-retentive will use a very small rotary tool to deburr the sharp drilled edge in each side of each head of each bolt.

i wire the two bolts paired on each plate.
Trekkor
show a pic or two.
Joe Bob
I am considering going with a case hardened 13mm hex head instead of the traditional allen headed ones.....will post pics when I get/decide what to use....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 4 2004, 09:45 AM)
I am considering going with a case hardened 13mm hex head instead of the traditional allen headed ones...

Clay Perrine has also suggested going to a capscrew (bolt...) long enough that you can add a washer and half-height jam nut on the back of the CV (especially for the outboard end that you can't loosen in the car anyway ...). i think i'll stay with the wire but it's an interesting alternative...
Rusty
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 4 2004, 09:17 PM)
i'm not MIke but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ...
no, that's not right - but i do safety-wire my CV bolts ...

Thanks, Rich... and Mike, too.

Do you twist the safety wire by hand, or do you have a tool to do that? I vaguely remember seeing a cool tool that twisted the pair of wires together nicely.

-Rusty smoke.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 4 2004, 08:47 PM)
Do you twist the safety wire by hand, or do you have a tool to do that?

standard safety-wire pliers. they come in at least two sizes; i have the full-size pliers but there are places where the shorter ones would be a help (access issues...) they're not expensive, and all the race places (Summit, Pegasus, RacerPartsWholesale.com ....) have them.

the pliers have a spring-loaded clip to keep them closed, and a spiral rod you pull to make them twirl around. they're supposed to have a spring return on that spiral but mine broke years ago. they're about $30/

i've been having a hard time finding wire, actually, there is a proper very soft stainless steel wire for this purpose, and i did finally get a spool at Summit. for our purposes, the 0.032" is a good all-around size but 0.025" is nice to have for light applications.

Carrol Smith's "Prepare To Win" shows most of the standard twisting patterns and techniques, and IIRC there's a pamphlet with the tool too. i'll get a photograph of my axle flanges when i get a chance ... for this application, i like to wire paired bolts. run the wire so that it tends to tighten both bolts.

it takes some practive to know how far away from the first fastener to grab the wires so that when it's twisted, it winds up exactly at the second fastener. i figure about a third of the distance is reduced by the twist.
WoMBaT
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 5 2004, 07:47 AM)
Do you twist the safety wire by hand, or do you have a tool to do that? I vaguely remember seeing a cool tool that twisted the pair of wires together nicely.

-Rusty smoke.gif

Rusty, we have these. They come in the standard TK100 I believe. Anyway, we always had them in my Avionics shop, so it comes in one of the tool kits. smile.gif

-Dan
Rusty
Yep... I remember them from a turbine engine shop a few years ago. Got any extras? biggrin.gif
Come by for your CD, iffn you ever decide to go to work! finger.gif Even the Pole Rider LT made out out of Guardian City today.

-Rusty smoke.gif
iamchappy
I had a CV bolts come off on me last year, it was the first time it ever happened to me in 30 years of teener ownership, I always had heard they could loosen up but I had to experience it to believe it, The bolts were the allen head style so I went back to the stock splined bolts.
I was lucky when mine let go I was starting out in 1st making a right hand turn, Scared the shit out of me when the cv smashed the shift rod and the shift lever jumped out of my hand. Only minutes before I had the car up to a hundred on the highway.
I plan on wiring them also for now I painted red slashes on them so I can see if they loosen. I also used red loctite while fastening them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.