Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Info on Shipping a Motor across a couple of States
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I have a lead on buying a good motor but it's several states away and I can't drive over to get it.

Who has shipped a motor that can give me some ideas on who to call? I'll need someone to drop off a pallet (I guess) strap it on, and get it shipped to Texas.

Company names? Someone coming my way? What I will be paying?

Thanks for the help! Bandjoey
Mike Bellis
Forward Air
MoveQik
agree.gif

However, if you want to insure it, you will need to build a wood crate around the motor on the pallet. If you don't car about insuring it, strap it on and ship it. Just did it about a month ago.
euro911
I've used FedEx LTL to ship numerous engines. No problems & decent prices.

Have the seller ratchet-strap the engine (trans, or any other large/heavy item) down to a pallet, construct a wood frame attached to the sides & top and wrap with a heavy cardboard covering.

Check with the shipping department where you work, if they have one, they may already have a FedEx account and FedEx will offer you your company's business rate. You just call FedEx and pay them via credit card while it's in transit (so they don't bill your employer).

If you can do it this way, typically, FedEx will want to deliver to your employer's business address, but you can ask them to deliver it to your nearest FedEx terminal when you call them to pay (again, after it's in transit).

It's cheaper than delivery to a residence, especially if you don't have a forklift at your residence. This will also allow you to pick it up on your schedule. They'll fork it into the back of a p/u truck for you (no extra charge).
jmill
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 8 2011, 11:46 PM) *

Forward Air

agree.gif Had one shipped to me from AZ to WI for @ $250. Picked it up at their depot and they put it in the back of my truck. On a side note they didn't actually ship it, UPS did. They use other shipping companies to do their work. They get much better rates than we do and they charge a markup. They make money and you save it. Either way I was happy.
bandjoey
I check with UPS, Schneider, Conway and all quote $500-$525.
Forward Air and Fedex Freight wouldn't quote unless I had an established account.

Suggestions? Anyone have an account number for Forward Air? I'll be prepaying the shipment, of course.
mepstein
www.freightquote.com Used them will very good results.
bandjoey
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 19 2011, 01:34 PM) *

WOW Thanks! freightquote hooked me up at 60% less than other quotes. After shipping delivery, I'll let you know how everything went.

For price...Recommended!
mepstein
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 19 2011, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 19 2011, 01:34 PM) *

WOW Thanks! freightquote hooked me up at 60% less than other quotes. After shipping delivery, I'll let you know how everything went.

For price...Recommended!

I used them last for a 400lb comercial lawn mower on a palet. GA to PA for $175. I think rates have gone up a bit but it saved me over $800 from buying local. They did take a couple days longer than expected but I told them price and not timing was most important. I saved a bit by shipping to a local business. The business had a forklift and then I drove the mower to my house. Hope it works for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.