Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ok, now what?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Ok, I put the front wheels on and lowered the front of the car down which brought the back end up enough to clear the engine, 38 inches to be exact. Good thing I took the front bumper and spoiler off. I rolled the engine and tranny underneath and lined it up as best I could. Not my question is, do I remove the rear wheels and lower the car down on top of it and then lift one side at a time with the jack and bolt it in? Would this be the best way? Or should I remove the carb and install the lift plate and lift it up with the cherry picker? I am on a roll here so someone with some experience chime in here. HEre are some pictures so you can see what I am talking about.
skline
Next picture
skline
Bump, anyone??
SirAndy
put a floorjack under the engine and pump it UP ...

that's how we do it all the time. much easier that way,
wink.gif Andy

PS: it REALLY helps to have a second pair of hands to do this, you need to balance engine/tranny on the jack while bolting down the cross-bar and tranny mounts.
i don't know about the V8, you need to find the spot where the engine tranny are balanced.
skline
That is how I do the 4s and the 6s but the V8 is a little different. Its really heavy and hard to balance and nowhere to put the jack underneath it. The 4s and 6s are flat on the bottom, this is not at all.
machina
I had 2 of the small jacks which fit underneath each control arm. Then I could control the height of the car indepentenly L & R. The big jack in the middle was only used when the motor was in.

Note that a big jack like the one in the middle won't fit under the control arm very easily. The small ones kind of cup the bottom of the arm.

I did mine this way because I worked alone. It is probably much faster to just jack the motor up like the other guys do.

dr
boxstr
Scott you have to know if your boom on the CP is long enough. If it is I would lift it that way, I always take the rear trunk lid off, just in case.
Goo dluck.
CCLINLIFTWITHYOURLEGSNOTYOURBACK
Andyrew
Why not just put the engine under a strong piece of wood (big..) and put the jack under the wood? taking some time to balance it correctly?

Andrew
skline
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 4 2004, 11:51 AM)
Why not just put the engine under a strong piece of wood (big..) and put the jack under the wood? taking some time to balance it correctly?

Andrew

I am going to go across the street and see if I can borrow the guys jack he uses for his motorcycles, Its flat and I can block around the engine to hold it in place. Andrew, your parts will go out on Monday if they are open, otherwise first thing on Tuesday, you should have them by friday.
SirAndy
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 4 2004, 11:48 AM)
That is how I do the 4s and the 6s but the V8 is a little different. Its really heavy and hard to balance and nowhere to put the jack underneath it. The 4s and 6s are flat on the bottom, this is not at all.

leave it on the roller and lift up the whole crappola!
BIGKAT_83
Cherry picker if you have it with a jack at the rear of the trans. Just put a LS6 in for a trial fit this morning. I could tell the difference in the weight from the old SBC versus the alumimun LS6 by the way I could move it around.

Bob
Dr Evil
You could:
1. Lower the car around the engine
2. (what I have done) use cinder blocks, wood, etc and lift the engine a couple of inches at a time while shimming. I would lift the engine crooked one side up at a time while shimming. Worked like a champ.
3. Use some all thread to line up the engine mount and follow the obvious from there.
HTH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.