Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: purists need not apply
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
i have a cherry rain catcher here in my garage. the one that goes under the engine deck lid.....and i was thinking about fabbing up a mold and producing a few out of carbon fiber. if i take the time to make the mold, would any of you guys be interested in one? they will have an A+ finish on them and be super light. i run a gt decklid, so im thinking of altering a mold to work on the gt decklid if i can do it and still maintain cooling and airflow.

i just finished up a mold for a set of rain hats for my idf 40 webers. 6 cylinder rain hats are also doable.....

they have an assortment of carbon weaves with different pattern. they also have hybrid carbon/kevlar weaves that have color.....black/red, black/blue, black/yellow, black/green, and so on.

let me know so i know how beefy to make my molds...
SirAndy
Someone is already making a FG version. I forget who ... idea.gif
morph
idea.gif i wonder who that could be ?
mrbubblehead
right on.....i didnt know.....dont want to step on any toes....
stugray
Do your 40 IDF rain hats support air filters underneath?

If So, I would be interested.

Stu
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 9 2011, 02:50 PM) *

Do your 40 IDF rain hats support air filters underneath?

If So, I would be interested.

Stu

nah, youll still need the the top and bottom plate. id be afraid of them not making a good seal. they are really just for keeping water out of the carbs. thats why im going to make em out of cf. they will weigh ounces. if that.....
nsr-jamie
Any pics of the rain hats? I might be interested...
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Aug 9 2011, 04:10 PM) *

Any pics of the rain hats? I might be interested...

not yet jamie....they are still a ways off......maybe a month.

i'll let you know.

they have a real cool aluminum color weave. i havnt used it yet. its kinda pricey. is your car silver?
nsr-jamie
Let me know, I am interested...yes my car is silver but I like the classic carbon look...I used many carbon fiber parts in my Honda NSR motorcycle build...we are talking about real carbon and not that carbon look stuff right?
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Aug 10 2011, 07:54 AM) *

Let me know, I am interested...yes my car is silver but I like the classic carbon look...I used many carbon fiber parts in my Honda NSR motorcycle build...we are talking about real carbon and not that carbon look stuff right?

yes.... the real deal....no fiberglass no filler solid carbon fiber.

nsr eh? i used to have a yzr500...
JmuRiz
Very cool, I'm all for c/f parts on the 914!
Can you do big parts, like lids? Just wondering...
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 10 2011, 08:02 PM) *

Very cool, I'm all for c/f parts on the 914!
Can you do big parts, like lids? Just wondering...

soon.....
Twise
Carbon makes cars faster. Go for it man - We need more parts out there. Options are great to have...
r_towle
stock front and rear fenders in CF please.
Rears need to go all the way up the sail panel so there is no seam.

rich
bdstone914
Is anyone making carbon fiber front and rear bumpers? They would look sweet on a black car.
r_towle
getty design, A.I.R, GT Racing (to name a few)

RIch
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Twise @ Aug 11 2011, 09:55 AM) *

Carbon makes cars faster. Go for it man - We need more parts out there. Options are great to have...

your right....the weight savings and strength of the cf is amazing. bumpers, ooooh what about a targa top. i bet that thing weighs 25 lbs. in carbon, i bet 5 lbs at the most. im not even a big fan of the cf "LOOK". i just like what it has to offer....
JmuRiz
Targa Top was kind of what I was thinking as well....maybe one as re enforced as the real GT tops. Having a bolt-in CF targa top may really stiffen up the car when the top is on.

CF Rear lid as well...I'm still not sure a CF front is a good idea as it changes the 'crumple-zone'. But a CF targa top, rear lid and bumpers would be sweet!

Just a hair-brained idea.

But I agree with what was said above...the more options the better.

Madswede
You mean like this? shades.gif
mrbubblehead
NICE.....did you make it yourself? how is it holding up to the sun?
nsr-jamie
Another part I always wanted in carbon would be the holding plate that goes around the meters or gauges...I forgot the name of it...you know the black piece that screws in the dash and the 3 gauges sit in there....I would love that in carbon fiber.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Aug 11 2011, 08:33 PM) *

Another part I always wanted in carbon would be the holding plate that goes around the meters or gauges...I forgot the name of it...you know the black piece that screws in the dash and the 3 gauges sit in there....I would love that in carbon fiber.

i thought of that too.....and it could be customizable (is that a word?) so you could put different size guages in it.

what about the board behind the pedals?

im designing a new system, so i cant make anything right now.
Madswede
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Aug 11 2011, 08:04 PM) *

NICE.....did you make it yourself? how is it holding up to the sun?

Not my car (I wish!). That's the notorious 914 RS that my good friend Joe O'Brien made (you can just see him in the driver's seat). He did the RS himself, in his typical fashion (i.e. over the top, and perfect), but the decks came from Getty Design, I think. His handle here is Series9. He's making my 914 3.2L monster in FL right now. I will have CF bumpers as well, over Phoenix Red and black.

You'd have to ask him about the sun damage, if any. All polymers will break down when exposed to radiation, in particular UV (such as the 'normal' kind we get from the sun), but I don't know how much that's been affecting his car. I'd imagine some garage time and/or car covers would help in its longevity.
mrbubblehead
i use epoxy resin, with automotive clear coat...
julian914
Figured I would chime in on this one, the Polyester Surfboard resin works very well for CF and stands up very well to the elements. It has a small shrink percentage, but not enough to worry about when vacuum bagging the parts. I still use a clear coat, but its more for wetsanding/gloss.
bdstone914
I would be in for a CF pedal board as long as the cost was reasonable. If you make a CF pedal board a matching dead pedal and passenger side board would look sweeeeet.
Andyrew
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Aug 11 2011, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Twise @ Aug 11 2011, 09:55 AM) *

your right....the weight savings and strength of the cf is amazing. bumpers, ooooh what about a targa top. i bet that thing weighs 25 lbs. in carbon, i bet 5 lbs at the most. im not even a big fan of the cf "LOOK". i just like what it has to offer....

Ever held a stripped CF roof?

They are 10 lbs probably... All that hardware and seals and such REALLY adds up fast.
Chris Pincetich
Bill Charon who appears here sometimes made a custom CF targa top for his AX 914. He planned to bolt it in with the hopes it added torsional stiffness to the entire car. Not sure what the final results are....but I know he made one!

I have front and rear lids in CF on my black 914 already, and want door panels and LE front valence!!

I have some currogated plastic sheets I was intending to cut into door panels and then lay CF laminate on, to save $$$. They will still be very light. I also plan to "wrap" my steering wheel adapter/extender with laminate.

My wish list is to have door panels, lower dash cover, bumpers, LE front and....fog light surround!

A super cool + easy one would be the fog light surround. Do a smooth front face with a recessed tube or cone. Make it match the size of the upgrade Pilot lights like on Camp 914. Please beerchug.gif
julian914
The light surround idea is one I was also kind of toying with. My idea had a little twist though. Idea 1 is a completely smooth front bumper in CF; no openings. Idea 2 is a solid CF front with funneled openings for the lights; surrounds not detachable. I just gotta get back from Iraq and start building molds again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.