Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail panel trim removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dltalfa
Can anyone provide DETAILED instructions on the correct method for removing the chrome trim around thae sail panels? My vinyl is curling and I'd like to replace it. However, I'm not sure as to how you remove the chrome trim.

Pictures wold help.

Thanks in advance,
Danny
bdstone914
There is a nut at the bottom of the trim inside the wheel well. Loosen it. Remove the screw at the top of the trim, pry sideways slightly at the top, then slide trim off its fastener at the base. Hope that helped.
dltalfa
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 9 2011, 09:59 PM) *

There is a nut at the bottom of the trim inside the wheel well. Loosen it. Remove the screw at the top of the trim, pry sideways slightly at the top, then slide trim off its fastener at the base. Hope that helped.

What about the other pieces? Mainly the smaller trim around the bottom?
bdstone914
Small piece at the bottom is pushed into place with the clips built into the trim. Slowly pry with a putty knife to get it out. Take your time or it will look like crap. The long center bar easily comes off by sliding once the side trim is off, careful not to lose the 3 clips when you pull this piece off.
914werke
Pretty much as Bruce describes, one warning re the horizontal trim ..
the factory *usually* covered the 4 fasteners on the back inside the fender with butyal/ seam sealer or such to seal, sometime you need to clean remove it otherwise you will bend /kink that fragile piece
mburkhart
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 10 2011, 07:36 AM) *

Pretty much as Bruce describes, one warning re the horizontal trim ..
the factory *usually* covered the 4 fasteners on the back inside the fender with butyal/ seam sealer or such to seal, sometime you need to clean remove it otherwise you will bend /kink that fragile piece

I redid the sail vinyl recently, and the advice here is correct. To remove the chrome trim from the bottom of the sail panels:

1) Jack the car up to give yourself some clearance between the tire and the fender. I actually removed the tire the first time I did this so I could get a good look under there, but it's not required if you have good hands.

2) Reach under the fender behind the trim and locate and remove the tiny nut holding the rear end of the sail panel trim to the car.

3) Reach under the fender and locate the 4 trim clips holding the side/bottom sail panel trim to the car. Clean off any butyl putty from each clip (on mine it was hard and dry and came off like a dirt clod in my hand) and then pinch the clip to allow it to release through the fender.

I also had to remove the seal and channel from each side where the door glass hits the sail panel in order to remove the small trim pieces at the top of each sail panel. You may be able to get to the inner screw without doing this though, depending on the order that your trim was installed (on mine the screw was underneath the channel).

Here's the thread that I followed when I did mine: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ng++sail++panel
toolguy
I'd suggest a little more caution than prying them off with a putty knife. . 1st off, that lower thin trim is very flimsy, and once you put a bend in it, it will always show the evidence. . 2nd, I believe there are 5 clips, anyways my 1970 has 5. . . the clips push in and expand. . . they are made so the best way to remove, is to locate them on the inside of the fender, and squeeze them to compress. . then push them out from the inside fender. .

The rear trim piece is held on by an 8mm nut inside the fender directly under the rear of the piece. . loosen it first and make sure the undercoating allows it to wiggle freely. .If it's rusted on or held by 40plus years of dirt, be careful you can twist it off easily. . clean the threads and add a little oil. . . then remove the outside top screws and the piece will lift off. . . then you can take the rear horizontal trim off. . it's held on by inner clips { I believe there are 3} and it just needs to be gently pried toward the rear of the car. .

PS for the sail trim material. . I just found a domestic convertable top material that is identical to the OEM Porsche fabric. Got it a a local auto upholstery shop. . . it was $15 a yard and it's 60 inches [5 feet] wide. so for 1 yard, you can either make 2 sets or make a few errors and have some left over w00t.gif . . .

I found it much easier to cut the pieces larger and cut off the excess after they are glued in place. . Makes placing them a lot easier. . . get someone to help you , pull and stretch the fabric to keep it taunt. It helps to lay it in the sun first to soften it so it pulls easily. .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.