Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to criticize my Instructions :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Time to criticize my Instructions smile.gif

PDF's look like heck until you print them or zoom in to see the details, but hey, what can I say???

Criticize away, I can take it...(I think, LOL)

A-arm, Needle Bearing Instructions

Now I need to add this guy to my prints: MDB2.gif
Pnambic
I don't like the font. tongue.gif
Bleyseng
That was hard to read with the font you selected. I take it there are pics or diagrams to refer to or is this like a Microsoft product where you just guess?
Geoff
J P Stein
Humm....I wondered how they were *suposed* to go together. Looks pretty technical......If ya get in a bind (NPI) there's always smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

IMO, the instructions are fine. If one can't figure them out, hire it done. Fuckabunchoffont biggrin.gif
seanery
I could probably do it.

Mueller,

why don't you send me a set of fronts & backs and I'll try out your instructions for you-free! I won't even charge for my truly expert opinion. biggrin.gif
914werke
# 9 (I think ) you might want to provide a arrowed depiction of the "fill the gap" step?

Rich
Jeroen
Hey Mike,

The description is good and the drawings are perfect
I guess even I can install them now (famous last words biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
Mueller
Geoff,

There are 3 pages.....you need to scroll thru them all...first page is text only....
Gint
I assume you really wanted feedback. Nothin personal.

No worse than others I've used. The font does suck. You should use a font that clearly distinguishes between 1 and I. As well as one that will prints and displays properly at 100% without having to zoom or monkey around.

I've been thinking about your bearing sets for a while now. I might pop for a set of front and rear in the near future. I'll start another thread with the specific questions I have when the time comes. My questions may end up being answered in the coming weeks as they get more actual use. How many are on the road at this point?
Bleyseng
Didn't load on my Mac, POS.
Ok, thats better on the Dell now.
Geoff
Pnambic
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 23 2003, 08:37 PM)
... Mac, POS.

Yup, pretty much sums it up....hehe wink.gif
SirAndy
use arial as a font, the MAC will substitute with Helvetica (which is the same except for the copyright wink.gif )

also, don't use all uppercase, harder to read ...

Andy
Brad Roberts
Mueller,

Do you have a logo for yourself ??

I can spruce it up a little.

B
kdfoust
Nice instructions. Usually when I do process instructions I use part names rather than BM # to refer to components of an assembly if the audience is comprised of the GP (general public) and put the BM references in parenthesis. I believe that approach helps keep non-engineering types from glazing over at the site of the instructions.

On page one I'd flip the rear bearing housing around so that it was correctly oriented relative to the front bearing housing on an imaginary A-arm. Once again it might help keep non-techies from getting confused.

The exploded view is really nice. I'd probably work directly from that.

Have fun,
Kevin
seanery
I can do a logo ferya fer free if you like.
seanery
Oh, Verdana is a good font to use and it comes on both OS's.
It's easily legible, yet has a couple of character items about it.
Bleyseng
Besides a flashy logo, you need a 1-800 help line so we can call you for troubleshooting help.
Geoff
seanery
yeah with 24-7 support!
Mueller
Thanks.....

I will change the font for sure, it does look like cr@p once translated.
It looks fine in Pro/E, but for some reason, it changes once Adobe PDF Writer gets a hold of it.

Kevin,

I too think that names would be better in the instructions, that'll be changed as well.

No logo:

No "real" name yet...I've thought of something as goofy as:
Mueller Designwerks or MJM Designwerks or ????
Gint
Did I piss you off or sumpin? What about this question:
How many are on the road at this point?

????????? MDB2.gif
Brad Roberts
Gint,

We have been running them now for a little over 2 years on the street/track. I pulled apart one of the cars running them a month or so ago to see how they where doing..... NO wear what-so-ever. I repacked the bearings with BOAT trailer wheel bearing grease... and they continue to see double duty on the street and race track.
where the F do you think he got the idea from ?? LOL

B
Mueller
Better to be pissed off then pissed on, unless you are into that sorta thing smile.gif

I've sold 10 sets, so far JP is the only one driving around on them. The rest have or will be installed on race or project cars. For the race cars, we are not talking about some parking lot cone crusher, but some serious track record contenders.....

Mine are based on another manufactures kit with what I believe are improvments in design. They have at least 30+ fronts running around for a few years (911 and 914) with a few rear kits being run for approx. the same time.
Gint
Thanks Mikey (and Brad).

What are you guys thoughts on streetability? 95% street use, light track work 4-5 times a season? Want me to start another thread?
Mueller
I feel that unless you drive in very sandy areas, or are prone to give your suspension an enema with the pressure washer on a weekly basis, one should be fine with these.

But I am a little biased so ignore my comments, hahahaha
Jeroen
Here's a logo
biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
JWest
Mike, how do you plan to give out the instructions? Just post a link on a webpage?

I was thinking of just burning a CD for my shifter instuctions and having nice pictures and stuff on it. I could just throw them in the box when I ship. Maybe people won't bother to use the CD, though?
seanery
I like the CD idea.
I can print the instructions (PDF format, right?) and have a backup that won't be covered in grease and garage goo for later if I have to do anything to it.

Jeroen,
I like the banana!
J P Stein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 24 2003, 08:51 AM)
For the race cars, we are not talking about some parking lot cone crusher, but some serious track record contenders.....

A rather patronizing comment about your test mule.

Them realliveracecartrackrecordcontenders get all the respect, eh? :finger2:

BTW
I seldom hit cones, but when I do it's usually in big bunches..... and I never crush em'..just scatter them to the 4 winds. It's their lot in life.

I'll be down in NorCal next week. I plan on getting over to Brads place of biddness. I can't make it in time for the swap meet....rats.
Mueller
Hey JP,

I wrote that to see if you pay attention smile.gif

Now that I've done my 3rd auto-x, I find driving on the big track
much easier than auto-x....auto-x is not as easy as one would think. MDB2.gif

Should I package up a rear trailing arm kit for you to take back up with you??? hmmm, I wonder what the airport security guards would think of those solid steel axles???
jonwatts
Airport security told me I had to ditch my digital calipers because they were pointy and could be used as a weapon. Long story but I got to keep them in the end. wink.gif
J P Stein
[ ....auto-x is not as easy as one would think. MDB2.gif ]

No shit?

[Should I package up a rear trailing arm kit for you to take back up with you??? hmmm, I wonder what the airport security guards would think of those solid steel axles???]

I'm driving down, but:
I can't afford it.
The car is not being molested any more....till next winter. smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.