Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrome or Painted bumpers on My 74?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barada
Not sure if anyone has seen my build thread but I am at a crossroad.
I had painted bumpers and My plan was to repaint them and put them back on. I have been leaning on getting the front one Chromed and possibly buy a better condition rear one to be chromed. Obviously cheapest and fastest is to repaint my bumpers now but I wanted to see what you guys though about the choice.
Below is the car at it's current stage.
pt_700
odd... didn't see the pic until after i voted.

while i generally prefer chrome early bumpers, i can see the appeal of painted (what color?) with the finish you have on your fuchs.

either way, it should be a beautiful car!
barada
Would be painted flat black as before.
pt_700
wonder if anyone's done a flat finish to match the fuchs...

configurator?
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Aug 10 2011, 08:55 AM) *

configurator?

I like this idea since it's not going to be origional, that would look sharp!
malaga_red75
I am going with flat black bumpers on my signal green project.

Andyrew has flat black on his hugger orange v8 914... it looks SHARP.

the flat black really makes the color pop.

your car looks great!
barada
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Aug 10 2011, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(pt_700 @ Aug 10 2011, 08:55 AM) *

configurator?

I like this idea since it's not going to be origional, that would look sharp!

Flat Silver or Black?
AZ914
FWIW, I once heard that the painted bumpers from the factory were ones that weren't perfect (for chrome) so they could have some filler etc, may need some work before chroming. I don't know if that is true, just something I heard back in the day...

I've seen a pic of silver painted bumpers that look good, let me find it...
AZ914
Painted silver FG bumpers. more pics at Patrick Motorsports project gallery:

pt_700
i'd think flat silver like your fuchs, barada.

i have chrome bumpers on my '71 and a set of 6 x 15 fuchs with black centers and polished lips. someday, i'll go to 5 lug and get rid of the ol' rivs...
stugray
What color is the 911? Viper green?

I want to paint my 914 the same color.
The closest I have found to what I want is "Kawasaki Ninja Green".

I voted for chrome.

Here is a pic from the AA collection:

IPB Image

Stu
BajaXJ92
I vote chrome. It will help break up the car a little bit.

However, I do like the idea of flat black!
jim912928
I say be different and paint them the same color as the car (and the valences and rockers)
skota
if I could have chrome, I'd go that route. I painted my rockers, front and rear lower valances and bumpers satin black, I had one peice in flat and another in satin and satin won.

I know there's some chomeish paints out there too....

car looks nice. beerchug.gif
dion9146
Mine in gelcoat flat black (only because I haven't painted it red yet smile.gif ) But the painted silver look interesting.....

Click to view attachment
jsayre914
I voted chrome.

Cause I like it
smoke.gif

wow, with 20 votes is split 50/50
type47
What's the purpose of the car? If it's to be a concours car, I vote chrome; if it's going to the a performance car (ha-ha, 914 performance biggrin.gif ) I'd vote fiberglass GT bumpers...
damesandhotrods
I lean towards narrow body chrome, and flares painted bumpers.
bdstone914
How was the car delivered? Which is going to make you happier every time you look at your car?
eric9144
I say painted for a couple reasons...

First, looks like RSR finished Fuchs wub.gif would look strange with mirror finish of chrome bumpers, a 'mismatch' of finishes...

Second, the chrome fog light grille supply is drying up and they are on a price slide upwards...black repros (nice ones from 914rubber) can be had all day long...

Black looks sweet against that orange too!

All that said and mine has chome bumpers, but I've also part's (w)hored up 3 sets of extra grills over the years...
barada
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 10 2011, 05:14 PM) *

How was the car delivered? Which is going to make you happier every time you look at your car?

It came with Painted Black bumpers. I think that is the route I will go. Chrome is maybe a little to flashy for me and the wheels so good poiints there.
Car will not be concours will be a driver but I want it to be clean at least the 1st month finished.
barada
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 10 2011, 12:54 PM) *

What color is the 911? Viper green?

I want to paint my 914 the same color.
The closest I have found to what I want is "Kawasaki Ninja Green".

I voted for chrome.

Here is a pic from the AA collection:

IPB Image

Stu

Stu,

The 911 is Viper green from the 72 chart. I have seen Kawasaki, one of the guys here had a RSR clone and it is much more florescent looking than mine. Very Bright.
ChristopherB
Here is my orange 914 with gloss black bumpers. I like the look especially with gloss black wheels.
1970 Neun vierzehn
I'm partial to chrome unless it's a GT/race version, then I think the 2 color, pit ID bumpers are cool.
SGB
aktion035.gif
QUOTE(ChristopherB @ Aug 10 2011, 09:20 PM) *

Here is my orange 914 with gloss black bumpers. I like the look especially with gloss black wheels.

PanelBilly
How about black chrome. Haven't seen that one before, but it sounds good
barada
Thanks for all the votes. My front bumper had some hidden damage that the bumper top was hiding. So now I am really leaning towards chrome. Anyone have a good/great set to sell? I am going to go with 16x7 Fuchs soon so I can switch to polished lips and petals to match.

Last option is Fiberglass.Looks like I will be holding on the bumpers. To drive it I will probably bolt up the old ones for around town.
As it sat this morning.
Thanks again.
Phillip
Al Meredith
I'm leaning toward a matt silver powder coat.
AndyB
I am going with either a matte or satin black for my bumpers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.