Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: injectors cap styles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Valy
I've seen 2 different cap styles on injectors.
Is there any difference in performance between the 2 styles?
Those are L-Jet injectors that are lower flow than the D-Jets but I don't think L-Jet or D-Jet makes any difference on this topic.
Click to view attachment
type47
I don't know; I was searching around for injectors and info on flow rates for injectors and found little difference in flow rates, in fact, one site listed the same injector for a 1.8L and 2.0L engine (albeit, the engines were L-Jet buses). I wanted to swap 914 1.8 injectors for a Vanagon 2.0L L-jet while the bus injectors were out for cleaning and flow testing.
john rogers
If I remember correctly the nub on the cap of the upper injector in the picture causes the fuel spray to start lower in the chamber and results in a less efficient fuel spray pattern and a slightly lower horse power rating from the engine. I think the large cap on both is the same diameter and also the same length? You could measure them to be sure.
Drums66
........Ljet bus injector's.....don't know flow rate?
they will work in Ljet 914!
bye1.gif
Valy
Those are injectors from my 914 Ljet. They all work fine except that are too dirty so, I want to send them for cleaning.
I just want to use the opportunity to put the same caps on all of them and was asking if there is any performance benefit from one cap or the other.

The additional tip is hollow so it's there just to protect the injected stream from the air-flow in the manifold. I don't know if that helps or not since newer injectors don't have that anymore but, the lip is there for a reason confused24.gif
draganc
Have a look as well at following topic:

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...p;#entry1096060

Regards,
Dragan
SLITS
The caps are there to protect the pintle ... nothing else!.
McMark
agree.gif it's what's up inside the injector that makes a difference between 914 injectors and modern injectors. Bottom line, run either one as long as the flow rates are correct.
Mike D.
I ran my last 4 cyl. car with Jaguar XJ12 injectors from the junk yard. The XJ was 6 liter I think, so four cyl. would be 2L. Didn't check the flow rate, tho.
Valy
Of course it run with the Jag injectors. They have the same flow.
My question is not about flow at all.

I'm asking about the Injectors CAP style.
Which of the two caps is better for performance? I have the opportunity to choose whichever I want but can't make an educated decision.

SLITS
Well then, the best course of action would be to run without the pintle cap at all. Spray pattern is determined at the nozzle, not the protective cap. If the cap had anything to do with it, it wouldn't pull off easily. The spray created would push the cap off and be melted in the combustion chamber.

Of course, you might just damage the pintle on installation, junking the injector.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.