Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 30 and 60mph vibration...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Hi guys..I've posted about this before but still haven't cured it.
I have a vibration/shimmy at 30 mph and 60 mph. Seems to be the whole car that shimmies as opposed to just the steering wheel. I have balanced several times, switched wheels front to back many times, and recently tried a friend's wheels with brand new tires with always exactly the same vibration. I have adjusted wheel bearings, tightened and loosened them, same problem. There is NO play in the ball joints or tie rods,I've had the car aligned and I've had wheels repaired.
What should I be looking at in the back of the car? Seems likely that something is wrong back there.
I don't really want to throw a bunch of money at replacing parts unless I know it will fix it.
BTW...car is a 74 2.0 liter.
Any suggestions appreciated....
Mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(MikeM @ Aug 10 2011, 11:44 AM) *
What should I be looking at in the back of the car?

- Trailing arm bushings or ovaled mounting hole.

- Cracked suspension console.

Jack up the rear and see if there's any side-play in your trailing arms ...

shades.gif
MikeM
Thanks Sir Andy...I'm not sure how to check side play in the trailing arms....
Mike
r_towle
jack up the rear so that the trailing arm is hanging free and grab the wheel and shake is in every direction.

Rich
MikeM
Thanks Rich...
Ian Stott
I had a slight vibration, tires were balanced right to zero not just in the green on the balance machine and my rims are straight and true, got the concentric centering rings from Chris Foley and problem was solved. If all of the above posts/suggestions check out OK maybe they would help.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
underthetire
Check your CV's. Those will cause it if coming loose.
MikeM
Checked CV's...all are super tight. Thanks.
MikeM
Does anyone know the proper size for the rear hub centering rings for Mahle wheels? I'm going to try to find them locally...Chris Foley is a loooong way from me.
Mike
r_towle
get a set of calipers and measure the hole in the wheel, and the diameter of the hub...that should show you the difference.

I believe that Foley is the only one who makes them and keeps them in stock...

Go to a high end wheel shop...one that has alot of bling wheels.
They know where to get these things.

rich
r_towle
have you ever had a four wheel alignment?

Rich
MikeM
Rich...yes, I had it aligned by a reputable guy. He did a nice job, the car is straight and true. BTW, I checked the trailing arms...nice and tight with no play.
Not sure what else to do at this point. I have tried other wheels with the same result but I guess that doesn't completely rule out the need for hub centering rings...
Mike
Drums66
.....Are lug nuts torqued?.........say what? poke.gif
bye1.gif
IronHillRestorations
Has any of the tires been plugged?

Wheels/tires balanced on the car?

Venting clearance on rear calipers?

Adjusted slack in front wheel bearings?

Rear wheel bearings?

Shocks?

Rotors?
Mike Bellis
If it happens at 30 & 60mph, that is harmonics from the wheels. Get the concentric rings or balance all 4 wheels.
jmill
QUOTE(MikeM @ Aug 10 2011, 01:44 PM) *

I have a vibration/shimmy at 30 mph and 60 mph. Seems to be the whole car that shimmies as opposed to just the steering wheel.

Can you clarify this whole car shimmy? Does it happen at one certain engine RPM as opposed to 2 speeds?
jk76.914
Mine was doing something kinda similar. It was pretty good when I started out, but as the suspension warmed up, a similar shimmy started. Mine was in the front, at about 70 mph, but curiously the steering wheel didn't shimmy, only the body. In my case, the strut insert was shot. I figure that maybe as the shock warmed up, what little damping it had left it as the oil thinned. Then it was susceptible to minor imbalances that normally would have been damped out.

Maybe no connection, but thought I'd throw it in.
MikeM
Guys....thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try to answer some of the questions that have come up.
I must admit, I don't know what venting clearance on calipers is...
On car balance is something I have not done. There is a shop in town that used to do that so I'll call them.
The shimmy is not rpm dependant, it is speed dependant. I can feel it around 30 mph and then I can really feel it at 60mph.
I have had the wheels balanced several times, but have not purchased the hub centric rings from Tangerine Racing.
Thanks, and keep it coming!!!
Mike
MikeM
Hi all...I have ordered the hub centering rings from Chris Foley,who is a super nice guy BTW, and I'll report back.
Cheers,
Mike
76-914
I chased this same thing for over a year. One place even trued the tires. I was sure the ball joints and tie rods were fine. I was wrong. After rebuilding the front end it was perfect. I was relying on my front end experience with heavier cars. Mistake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.