Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fixing stripped interior sheet metal thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
narino

After a year's break from working on the car I'm back!

A few of my interior pieces that are held on by screws have been stripped out. Probably from me when I removed them 10 years ago. It seems a lot of them are just screwed into thin sheet metal.

Is there a trick to get these "threads" to grab again? A search brought up "time-sert and helicoil". Never used either but it looks like neither would work on these sheet metal threads.

An example of where these threads are stripped would the interior vinyl cover/pad at the windshield pillar.

Thanks in advance,
GeorgeRud
The time-serts or helicoils won't work with sheet metal screws. Can you try to simply exchange the stripped out screws for a larger diameter one? As you're just holding on trim pieces, it shouldn't really matter unless your doing a concours restoration.
narino
Yes I could, and currently am doing that with some pieces. I was hoping there was another way to correct the hole for the right sized screw.

Do you think if I used jb-weld or something it would help similar to rebuild the hole?

narino
Found a few options on a camaro forum.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7260

"weld them closed and re-drill the holes. Or use JB Weld and do the same thing. "

"I used a small hole punch and hammer, whacked the edge of the hole in 3 places, somewhat like pushing the metal back towards center of the hole. Seemed to work on the firewall holes that hold my wire gutter.
Maybe not professional but it worked nicely."

"slide a paperclip wire or two into the hole as you are tightening in the screw. It helps fill the hole, and is soft enough to give a little for the screw. "

"The little plastic drywall anchors work great in areas where they aren't visible; use them frequently on old Corvettes where the holes in the fiberglass are wallowed-out (like door trim panel screws, sill plate screws, etc.)."

"try the POR15 putty. this stuff is amazing and durable when dried, it can be drilled and tapped! "

When I get some free time I might give the JB weld or the POR15 putty a try. I wonder which is easier to use in small areas like this.

SirAndy
QUOTE(narino @ Aug 10 2011, 04:46 PM) *
I was hoping there was another way to correct the hole for the right sized screw.

Weld and re-drill?
confused24.gif

In the past, i have used slightly larger screws. But of course that only works to a certain extend.
idea.gif
IronHillRestorations
This might be a good time to interject one of the best tips I've gotten regarding this topic.

When re-installing sheet metal screws put slight pressure on the screw in the hole and turn it counter clockwise until you hear or feel a slight click, which is the threads lining up, and then screw it in.

A 914 customer of mine that sells medical plates for reinforcing bones told me this is the same technique they teach the Docs for thier products.
McMark
JBWeld would only work to basically glue the screw in 'forever'. Try slightly larger screws.
narino
Andy - Unfortunately I don't know how to weld and apartment living limits my buying the equipment to learn.

Perry - Good tip!

McMark - I was thinking of using the JB-weld to close the hole then redrill to the right size. No thoughts of "gluing" the screw with JB.
76-914
This may not be of help to you unless you want to use mch threaded screws. These are great for replacing those nuts that break off in the long when you remove the bottom bolts from the side trim piece (valance?) http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/to/rivnuttools.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.