Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
madhater
Hey guys im new here and i really like 914s, and i am a proud owner of a 1972 vw bus, ( which has the same block as a 914 i think) and i was wandering which 914 4 cylinder has the most power? i know it is obviously going to be a 2.0 but i think there are different type? just please let me know, thank you
madhater
thanks guys!
Lennies914
welcome.png

I would say pre-'75 2.0.

I think they all were 95 hp.
messix
welcome.png
KELTY360
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 10 2011, 08:53 PM) *

welcome.png

I would say pre-'75 2.0.

I think they all were 95 hp.

agree.gif

welcome.png
moparrob
a turbo Subaru conversion, I would think...

stirthepot.gif
McMark
914 2.0 (three-bolt) heads make the most power. Then pick up a set of 96mm pistons and cylinders for about $250 and install them. You'll still have the same bottom end and unknown heads that you would have run anyway, so you're putting a little cash at risk, in exchange for more power than any stock motor. If you've got a few more bucks to spare at the time, have the valves reground.

It's not the 'right way' to do it, but it would be a great way to add a little HP without spending a lot of cash (at the risk of that cash being worthless if the engine does blow). If I were in the situation of having a little money to spend, it's what I would do.
markb
welcome.png

&

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Madswede
3,2L or greater, 911 motor with twin plugs and aggressive cams and modern FI management. aktion035.gif Be prepared, be prepared my son. willis.gif
bembry
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 10 2011, 09:36 PM) *

welcome.png

&

Yeah--Let's see that Bus!!! piratenanner.gif
Dave_Darling
The "GB" code European-spec 2.0 had higher compression than the US version, 8.0:1 versus 7.6:1. It was rated at 100 DIN HP by the factory. That was the most powerful four-cylinder stock 914 engine.

As mentioned before, the 73-74 2.0 ("GA" code) was the most power US-spec 914 motor, at 95 DIN HP.

--DD
madhater
ok guys thanks for the opinions yall are helping alot, but i guess if you want pics they will but up soon, but please bear with me im only 14 haha, ive been working on this thing steadilyif you want to see the project: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...asc&start=0

madhater
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
BajaXJ92
Sweet Bus! I've actually got a '74 Baywindow I'm working on as we speak.

Its a Westfalia without the popup. Getting a lime green paintjob as soon as I get it sanded down and primed...

IPB Image
IPB Image
madhater
a few more
IPB Image

IPB Image
madhater
ohh sweet bus! i will trade side windows lol,
madhater
QUOTE(Madswede @ Aug 11 2011, 03:00 AM) *

3,2L or greater, 911 motor with twin plugs and aggressive cams and modern FI management. aktion035.gif Be prepared, be prepared my son. willis.gif

hmm if i had money i would,
and the suburu motor seams to be a good idea but i really no nothing what so ever abbout subarus dry.gif
bembry
Sweet bus--we had a '77 when I got my driver's license--it was turned from the Family Wagon to the Party Wagon!!!
Drums66
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 11 2011, 11:06 AM) *

The "GB" code European-spec 2.0 had higher compression than the US version, 8.0:1 versus 7.6:1. It was rated at 100 DIN HP by the factory. That was the most powerful four-cylinder stock 914 engine.

As mentioned before, the 73-74 2.0 ("GA" code) was the most power US-spec 914 motor, at 95 DIN HP.

--DD

shades.gif (say it's not so, but it is)
markb
http://members.rennlist.com/markbs914s/

Check out the Thunderbus. Cap'n Krusty built & drove it, then I bought it & rebodied it. Last I heard it was in the Netherlands.
rnellums
QUOTE(madhater @ Aug 11 2011, 01:14 PM) *

ok guys thanks for the opinions yall are helping alot, but i guess if you want pics they will but up soon, but please bear with me im only 14 haha, ive been working on this thing steadilyif you want to see the project: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...asc&start=0

That's how old I was when I bought my first 914! Now it's 8 years later and I have owned 3. It gets under your skin pretty quick.
madhater
True.
Sorry guys not doing the Swap nemore. im keeping the stock motor and the only thing i will be doing is exaust and maybe some Bosch 2+2 spark plugs lol so i probably wont be updating it here Because this is a 914 forum lol. But here is a full build of what i have been doing. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...asc&start=0
Dave_Darling
Stay away from the Bosch +2 plugs. Or the +4s. Or the not-absurdly-expensive platinum plugs of any kind from Bosch. Their quality is rather poor. Stick with Bosch copper plugs, or silver if you like. Or go with a different brand if you like them.

--DD
Rod
QUOTE(madhater @ Oct 12 2011, 09:15 PM) *

True.
Sorry guys not doing the Swap nemore. im keeping the stock motor and the only thing i will be doing is exaust and maybe some Bosch 2+2 spark plugs lol so i probably wont be updating it here Because this is a 914 forum lol. But here is a full build of what i have been doing. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...asc&start=0

No worries. Nice to read your thread over on the Samba.. You really got some ribbing over there didn't you!! But good on you, ask what some of those idiots were doing at 14 years old... I respect the fact that you'll tear something apart to see how it works, thats the best way to learn - Good on you. See you back here on 914world when you have decided to Turbo that 914 you will eventually buy wink.gif
madhater
Thanks for the advice on the plugs!

And sorry im not doing a Turbo 914 motor lol. Especially Since my
bus will be a dd and i dont want it to overheat lol. And yeah some of the guys on the samba are Jerks but a few are cool and helped me out. but ill post here if you guys will want me too. I honestly like this forum because i love all kind of cars haha. I just dont want to post and use up bandwith For something you guys dont want to see lol. So just let me know
KELTY360
QUOTE(madhater @ Oct 12 2011, 08:28 PM) *

Thanks for the advice on the plugs!

And sorry im not doing a Turbo 914 motor lol. Especially Since my
bus will be a dd and i dont want it to overheat lol. And yeah some of the guys on the samba are Jerks but a few are cool and helped me out. but ill post here if you guys will want me too. I honestly like this forum because i love all kind of cars haha. I just dont want to post and use up bandwith For something you guys dont want to see lol. So just let me know

Stick around, we have a surplus of opinions to share. biggrin.gif

BTW, love your project. I had a '72 hardtop Westy like the other one pictured. Biggest problem with the '72 is the lack of a hatch over the engine. They changed that in '73 and it's much better. You'll be among friends over here, buses and 914 seem to go together. Just one rule:

madhater
Haha Thanks.
Is it pics you ask for?
The night we pushed it to my grandmas.
IPB Image

IPB Image
Interior wa nice-ish for a 72
IPB Image
IPB Image
Months later, I got it running (still had a small problem with the right carb) but my cousin drove it to get gas and take pictures
IPB Image
Took some pics at the graveyard. The watermark is 666 but its not mine haha im not into that stuff
IPB Image
Rattle can wheels...
IPB Image
IPB Image
Got some merc wheels free. same bolt pattern so.. ya know haha
IPB Image
Axles... Yuck
IPB Image
IPB Image
Almost stripped down.
IPB Image
Bought these.
IPB Image
finshed them
IPB Image
IPB Image
Well i attempted to rebuild my carb at like 3 in the am lol and then i ran it for a little. then oil came seeping out. Me being 14 thought something drastic like piston rings. Thats why i was thinking of a heart transplant haha. But it turns out i left the float out...
IPB Image
Bought this lil guy off Cl for 20
IPB Image
and took mine apart and put the float and pin in mind lol then sat it on.
IPB Image
drew a diagram when i took it off
IPB Image
Hooked it up
IPB Image
Got this lil guy for free lol
IPB Image
But back to the bus
Bought beam adjusters
IPB Image
and photobucket is screwing up so i guess ill show the rest later.
SGB
You da man!

Great project. Something to work toward. After the carb flooding, the oil will have gas in it, so it won't work like it is supposed to. You really should change it- but don't use synthetic, its so good it finds all the leaks to slip through.

Check the brakes.

Put in Bosch copper plugs, I think it is WR-7D. Put in a new fuel filter. Spark plug wires are a good idea too.
madhater
Yeah thanks man.
I changed the oil abut 2 months ago haha. It runs great and everything. I also replaced one of the fuel filters. And one of the braked where sticking so i rebuilt it.
But as i said Photobucket messed up so ill put more pics up later because I'm in school now lol
madhater
IPB Image
Bought this and primer
IPB Image
filled the reflector holes(blurry pics)
IPB Image
IPB Image
Finished a crap load of trim holes
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
The other reflector holes
IPB Image
IPB Image
the filled weld all sanded
IPB Image
primered
IPB Image
the vw family
IPB Image
Primered hole bumper but got lazy taking pics
IPB Image
Weld to be filled next time.
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.