Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct size for upper fuel line clamps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ezbngreen914
I'm replacing the upper fuel lines on my 1.7. I'm a novice as far as working on cars goes (only had my 914 for 9 months, I have a feeling some day I will be an expert), but I want to make sure I get this right. Some "kits" come with a #13 clamp and others with a number #15 clamp. When I tighten the #15 clamp to the max it is snug around the non connected hose but I can still pull the clamp off. I imagine that when the line is on the fuel rail or other connections that it may flare a little and therefor the # 15 clamp would be tighter. Just looking for a little reasurance or correction. Thanks everybody!

" beerchug.gif 914 World... Don't own a 914 without it!"
type47
I think the current recommendation is to use a "fuel injection" clamp which differs from a "worm gear" or "hose" clamp in that the band is solid and not slotted (for the worm gear). Idea is that the slots cut into the rubber hose and weaken it. FI clamps should be available at local FLAPS; take in a piece of hose to get correct size clamp.

I copied this pic from McMaster-Carr to show the style. If I recall, the factory edges are even rolled slightly to avoid cutting into the rubber.

Click to view attachment
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 11 2011, 01:13 PM) *

I think the current recommendation is to use a "fuel injection" clamp which differs from a "worm gear" or "hose" clamp in that the band is solid and not slotted (for the worm gear). Idea is that the slots cut into the rubber hose and weaken it. FI clamps should be available at local FLAPS; take in a piece of hose to get correct size clamp.

I copied this pic from McMaster-Carr to show the style. If I recall, the factory edges are even rolled slightly to avoid cutting into the rubber.

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the reply. I'm for sure going to use the solid clamps. It looks like the PO used slotted clamps on some of the existing fuel lines and it does look like they made quite an impression on the lines. I'm not sure how much of a problem that might cause but I really like the idea of the rolled edges. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how tight should the clamps be? Should they simply keep the line at its unflexed diameter or actually squeeze it in a little? The #15s only seem to keep the diameter the same which should work for an application where there is a lip on the connection that flares the rubber line out, but I just want to make sure that I don’t need a little more insurance in the form of a slightly tighter clamp.
type47
I would say they squeeze in a little. Tight enough that the hose doesn't rotate on the fitting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.