914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,
Just got a free beetle.
1600 dual port.
Sounded like a sewing machine,,,really loud
I found a broken spring on #4 valve.

My question is... (not answered on STF)
The spring is broken, but still all there. Possibly a quarter of an inch of valve lash clearance on that one.
Would the valve hit the piston?
It seems to move by my hand, in and out.
Just wondering if this is a total job, or just a set of new springs. (Remember this is a beetle, It will run till it blows up, then maybe, just maybe I will rebuild it)

I know I have to take off the head to fix this, but just wondering how much clearance is in there..

Rich
MarkV
Put that cylinder @ TDC & hook-up air compressor to spark plug hole using compression tester hose. If it holds pressure you can change the spring w/ out removing the head. If it doesn't hold pressure you have a bent or burnt valve or a hole @ the impact site.

Nice squirrel !
r_towle
Cool idea.
I was gonna stuff a rag in the hole and go to TDC and do it that way, but compressed air is a great idea.

BTW the squirrel is twisting up one...
You grabbed my next in line one, so I had to hunt another one down...

Rich
MarkV
Just remember to put the car in gear & set the brake.

Sorry about the squirrel. I have been looking for a different one.
need4speed
I say pull out the pushrods and run on three cylinders untill the rest die as well. wacko.gif

(actually, now that I think of it, you should be able to run that way, and listen real closely to the head on that side for leakage - and down the carb throat too (watch out for backfires) - that will identify whether the valves are seated properly.)

psssh-psssh-psssh-psssh. . . .
Part Pricer
QUOTE(need4speed @ Apr 23 2003, 05:25 PM)
I say pull out the pushrods and run on three cylinders untill the rest die as well. wacko.gif

What do you know? You don't have a squirrel. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.