Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SC850R
Help. My 901 side shifter (its connected to a 2.7l 6) has suddenly (within a day) gotten very sloppy. It was actually working pretty well as 901 boxes go, but now I've got 4-5 inches of play when its in gear. Any ideas as to what happened?? Thanks huh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SC850R @ Jul 5 2004, 01:07 PM)
Any ideas as to what happened??

1) set screw on the shifter coupler came loose
2) firewall bushing broke and left the building

those are usually the 2 big ones that can happen in an instant ...
Andy
SC850R
Those both seem intact. The shifter rod as it passes through the firewall moves very little. Most of extraneous movement seems to be at the shift lever. Thanks for the reply.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SC850R @ Jul 5 2004, 09:54 PM)
Most of extraneous movement seems to be at the shift lever.

mhmmm, i have heard of shifters itself brake, but never had that happen myself.

if you have access to a replacement shifter, i would try replacing that.
good luck,
Andy
Red-Beard
There are 2 bushings and a spring inside the shifter itself. Replacement of these run around $45 from Porsche.

Goto the last section of

rebuild
bwilless
I just had a similar problem with my car. The problem turned out to be the shift rod. Get under the car and try to change gears by moving the shift rod. I found that the very end of the rod, closest to the rear bumber, had broken loose. It was still holding on, but it was sloppy. When I had the rod repaired the shop said that it was a common failure.

Good Luck.
maf914
Looks like you'll have to check everything. I suggest you check the shift rod universal joint at the engine firewall. If the bushings in the joint are old and brittle they can break down and literally fall apart in chunks. Mine did this several years ago. Should this happen the amount of play in the linkage immediately increases greatly.
ablose58
I agree, check your 2 bushings in the yoke. when mine grenaded it immediately doubled the play and shifting was a nightmare at best. I would recomend replacement of all bushings you won't believe the difference smilie_pokal.gif Also I have seen the lever with the ball out of the tranny come loose from wear in the hole where it is pinned to the tranny shaft wink.gif Good luck froggy.gif
SC850R
Thanks to one and all for your help! wavey.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.