Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to break it in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jporsche914
I am getting my 1.7L engine rebuilt back to stock specs and i was wondering what would be the best way to break it in. Should i run the engine hard to seat the rings or should i just take it easy and have the rings seat over time??
thanks
Rog914
Break in secrets
Look through ALL of this website. It will give you a good idea of what to do.

Ralph Gosnell

74 2.0
redshift
Run it to 23 grand, I think that is what Bruce Allert told me.

heh
jporsche914
I have looked through that website a couple times. It makes sence and it seems like it is a good idea i just want to know what other people think about his break in method before i do it and maybe mess up my new motor.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jporsche914 @ Jul 5 2004, 04:59 PM)
i just want to know what other people think about his break in method

i say, you try it and let us know how it goes! biggrin.gif

it's too late for me, i already got 50 miles on mine ...
beer.gif Andy
seanery
I've always been told to break it in, like you'll use it. There is a story about a 356 that was a race car in the 60s in Excellence this month. There is a little story about the original owner who asked the factory how to break it in. The story said "Put your foot down" biggrin.gif I like that answer.
newdeal2
agree.gif

That's pretty much the same as the site suggests...it makes sense. I am going to try it myself...just hope I don't get caught in traffic wink.gif
jporsche914
That sounds like a great idea to drive it the way i usually drive it, because if i had to be easy on my 1.7L i wouldn't get anywhere (to slow). What oil do you think i should use?
newdeal2
Gastrol GTX...it's the bomb
jporsche914
Thats what was in it before the rebuild. I like the castrol GTX alot. Would a 10w30 be a good weight to break it in with.
newdeal2
Not sure it matters for the first few. I use a 20/50 but I'm in a hot enviroment. Making sure the engine is built with good assembly lube is important.

Also crank the engine with the coil wire off first to make sure you have oil pressure wink.gif
72914S
After the first 100 miles with 30 wt. detergent oil ,I drained it put in 20/50 castrol,new filter,checked the screen for things that shouldn`t be there,recheck valve adjustment......THEN Drove it like I stole it ! Well not quite but I`ve always been told to drive it like you will normally. Now has about 500 miles on it and running great.
SirAndy
QUOTE(newdeal2 @ Jul 5 2004, 06:55 PM)
Also crank the engine with the coil wire off first to make sure you have oil pressure wink.gif

also, you want to fill the oil-filter with oil before you put it on!

just in case you didn't know.
wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.