Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about this decal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lou W
I've noticed on a number of Porsches this sticker, what was the history behind it? Was it from Atlantic Richfield gas? What were the years this was used?
Thanks
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Lou W @ Aug 12 2011, 02:30 AM) *

I've noticed on a number of Porsches this sticker, what was the history behind it? Was it from Atlantic Richfield gas? What were the years this was used?

The 'Pegasus' ?

Not ARCO - Mobil. Even then fairly involved with motorsport.

Actual 'contemporary' use predates even me, so I'd speculate that there was contingency money then, as now. You place well and display the sticker, you get some money from the sponsor. Sometimes it is a requirement of the event sponsor that a small advertisement be displayed.
Tom_T
Yeah, Mobil Oil & you can get them today, so hard to date that, but the Pegasus can be seen at least into the 1940's vintage gas-mabilia.
nathansnathan
Tom Geismar of the design firm Chermayeff & Geismar designed the current Mobil identity in 1966 and separated the pegasus from the name of the company in the logo, though the pegasus mostly in its original form is still used separately even today (I think) on the white circle that is attached to the building.

Mobil Logo 1901-1955
IPB Image

1955-1964
IPB Image

1966-present
IPB Image

IPB Image
jim_hoyland
I bought a pair ( Left/right) from Mike Z at the Ventura Show several years ago. Pretty cool looking smile.gif
StratPlayer
I have a set on my car, one on each panel...
Scott S
I like em. I had them on my car until I went nuts wuth the martini crap. I have set on the speedster replica as well.
RFoulds
I asked same question at Monterey Historics years ago.. The story I heard was it meant free Mobil racing fuel for you at track if you displayed the Pegasus. Many tracks didnt use Mobil, but the sticker stayed anyway.

Al Meredith
I think it has something to do with the origional PanAmerica carrera in Mexico.
nathansnathan
1953 Porsche 550 Le Mans/La Carrera Panamerica Coupe
IPB Image
Lou W
So it seems as though it was primarily used during the 50s?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.