Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 Emblem Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
deanna914
I just purchased a 1973 914 and am the second owner. The emblem on the rear says 914 SE where I think it should be 1.7 or 1.8. I have the original invoice for the car and it doesn't mention it. Does anyone know why this SE is there?

Thanks
AZ914
No such thing officially as an SE so that is custom. There have been some references to a 914-S (has additional trim) but it was never part of an emblem.

welcome.png
bdstone914
Lets see a picture of it.
Cairo94507
Welcome to the sickness. Definitely not stock. Congratulations on the new car. Please put up some pics smile.gif
SGB
I would say the number fell out and someone found a correctly sized bit to go in the holes there...
SirAndy
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Aug 12 2011, 11:21 AM) *
No such thing officially as an SE so that is custom.

agree.gif

Sounds like a custom badge from the PO.
bye1.gif

PS: welcome.png

PPS: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
speedsports66
Click to view attachmentso i will give it a try, this is the car in question. hopefully the picture posts!
anyway, the PO said he bought it from the original owners with about 3000 miles on it. he said they ordered it from Germany and received it in NY or NJ and drove it back. just enough miles for the wife to say she thought the ride was too stiff. the PO said it was one of 2000 with some special 2.0 custom built, balanced, blah blah.
who knows, we love it, it flys down the freeway, and it handles way better than our 59 ragtop did, lol.
majkos
SWEET looking ride!
What's the Vin #'s?
Tom_T
That 914 SE could've been a dealer attempt to market the car differently, and probably charged the PO/OO an extra few grand for it! ... they could & did in the first year of the 2.0 - with or without special badges & claimed special equipment!! dry.gif

More info here -
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=107851&st=

Porsche+Audi of America, under VWoA, did initially market the 2.0 as a "914 S" with a fully loaded set of Appearance & Performance Groups' options included in the base price, since the VW-Porsche initially didn't think to even badge the 1.7 & 2.0 differently from the factory until well into the Aug/Sept 72 early production run. Mine was an Aug 72 build, & actually had the holes for the 2.0 badge drilled, while the 914 badge holes are stamped.

1972 Period Ad - "914 S"

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

welcome.png
eric9144
Should look like this:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.