Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best 4x6 Speakers??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surferjoe
Well, it looks like that time. I need to find a really nice set of 4x6 speakers for my little guy. I was reading that the Infinity Kappa series 4x6 is rated one of the best. They can be run from the HeadUnit, but may need a small amp to really push them. That means I would probably need to install it in the front and run the wires. I just dont want to wear down the battery with my music. I plan on getting one of the newer series Alpine's that play MP3's.

Any suggestions or experience with these?

huh.gif
skline
2 things, contact Morphenspectra on the board here and get a set of the speaker enclosures from them, then pick out a nice set of 6.5 inch round speakers and install them in the factory location. Then, if you want to waste a bunch of money on an Alpine unit, you are free to do so. If you want great sound, reliability and for less money, go buy a Sony indash AM/FM/CD/MP3 player and you can thank me later.
JmuRiz
I have the Kappa 4x6 plates in my car...they are ok for sitting in slow traffic. If the 6.5" enclosures were available when I did my car I would have gone with them. If you want sound I'd say go with them. I made s 2 3.5" arm-rest so I can hear at higher speeds with the windows up. Granted I listen to the radio/CD about 5% of the time I drive the car anyway...best sound upgrade is a Triad exhaust! wink.gif
Porsche Rescue
I have the Infinity Kappa 4x6's. Best thing about them is that they fit in the stock enclosures without crushing the defrost tube. Sound is marginal, better than factory, but not much. Frankly, a 914 will never be a concert hall, no matter what speakers. I suspect the 6.5's in the molded enclosures would be better.
surferjoe
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 5 2004, 06:12 PM)
2 things, contact Morphenspectra on the board here and get a set of the speaker enclosures from them, then pick out a nice set of 6.5 inch round speakers and install them in the factory location. Then, if you want to waste a bunch of money on an Alpine unit, you are free to do so. If you want great sound, reliability and for less money, go buy a Sony indash AM/FM/CD/MP3 player and you can thank me later.

Just emailed him. Now I need to find a nice set of 6.5's!

I like Alpine and have always ran them in my cars, but Sony does make a nice HU as well...

wink.gif
skline
I installed car stereos and alarms for a living till around 1990, I still play with them a lot. Its in my blood. I have a Sony unit in my Chalon that plays the MP3 files, its my second one. I have used Kenwood which is in my truck and I am sadly dissapointed with it. Half the time the stupid remote doesnt work, I have friends who have alpine units and they tell me they skip or wont play all the songs or a half dozen other complaints. I wouldnt buy anything but a Sony for my cars anymore. It never skips, it plays all the songs and in a 914, you are right in front of the radio anyway, they come with a remote but it seems worthless to use it. Its also High powered so I dont need an amp with it. I am installing an amp for the subwoofers. I am running 2 8" woofers in a custom cabinet on the passenger side floorboard where the foam thingy used to be. I have not got it all hooked up yet but I am hoping for the best.
surferjoe
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 5 2004, 07:46 PM)
I installed car stereos and alarms for a living till around 1990, I still play with them a lot. Its in my blood. I have a Sony unit in my Chalon that plays the MP3 files, its my second one. I have used Kenwood which is in my truck and I am sadly dissapointed with it. Half the time the stupid remote doesnt work, I have friends who have alpine units and they tell me they skip or wont play all the songs or a half dozen other complaints. I wouldnt buy anything but a Sony for my cars anymore. It never skips, it plays all the songs and in a 914, you are right in front of the radio anyway, they come with a remote but it seems worthless to use it. Its also High powered so I dont need an amp with it. I am installing an amp for the subwoofers. I am running 2 8" woofers in a custom cabinet on the passenger side floorboard where the foam thingy used to be. I have not got it all hooked up yet but I am hoping for the best.

That sounds good. Which sony deck is good with the MP3's?
blaize
If I may offer a counterpoint....I also spent 6 years installing 12-volt audio and alarms (now a P-tech) and much as I dont want to start a war here I am totally the other side of the fence on Sony vs. Alpine. in that time (6 years) I think I saw two alpines come back for legitamate problems and at least that many sony's per week. I wont buy anything but Alpine for my own cars (although I did try a kenwood Z919 when they were the first to offer an mp3 player (6 mo. before aiwa) and, like skline, I also found it to be pretty lousy). I have been told by guys at other shops that Eclipse is also a very good product but we didn't sell them so I have no first hand exp. And I never really liked the look of them. I would very strongly say go for the alpine. they cost more for a reason.

as for the speakers everyone alse has pretty much summed that up.

Again I am not here to argue, just my opinion and exp.
JmuRiz
I've been wondering about 'high powered' dash units to replace my Pioneer CD player I have now. I was thinking of going Pioneer or Blaupunkt...any ideas on them? I'm not looking to break the bank, seeing as I don't use the radio/cd/etc that often anyway.
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but what's a good mid-priced headunit for our application, thanks!
surferjoe
I am currently debating getting this model:

http://www.speedsound.com/caraudio.asp?pg=...cific=jninmohrc

Alpine CDA-9835 - In-Dash CD/MP3 Receiver

The main reason I like this one is the new updates found on it. It's one of the most current models. Not just the XM Radio feature. Basically I am willing to drop $300 to $400 on a HU if it's going to play my MP3's well and produce the watt rating without amps.

The problem with amps I see is, once you go that route, now the price really starts adding up. Price of the amp, quality power and speaker wires, misc connectors. Time spent installing everything. Power drain on the battery (depending on the amp).

I myself have installed at least 4 stereo's with amps and crossover's in my cars, and this time I just want a simple setup that sounds decent. smile.gif
McMark
Buy a cheaper head with an aux input and buy an iPod. Why? User interface. I've never seen a head that had a GOOD user interface for selecting MP3 songs.

To me, head units are all about aesthetics. All the power out of head units pretty much sucks, especially in a 914 where you really have to crank it just to hear it. You just buy one that you really like the look of.
3liter914-6
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jul 6 2004, 01:10 PM)
Buy a cheaper head with an aux input and buy an iPod. Why? User interface. I've never seen a head that had a GOOD user interface for selecting MP3 songs.

To me, head units are all about aesthetics. All the power out of head units pretty much sucks, especially in a 914 where you really have to crank it just to hear it. You just buy one that you really like the look of.

That's what I did although I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. I'm a sucker for Blaupunkt, especially because they have the aux in on most all their units (needs an adaptor though).

Kind of an embarrasing picture, the dash has since gotten the 3 years of grime scrubbed off, and the carpet and new door panels are back in place. I'll have to post up a pic when I get back home. But that's what the Blau looks like, I like it even if it isn't as simple and business like as they used to be. the little adaptor drapes down in the back and I was planning on fabbing up some mount so the ipod can attach to the center console.
aircooledboy
I've said it before, I'll say it again: My system sounds great, at 70 mph w/ the top off, and I'm into it for a total of less than $400.

I have a Pioneer 200 watt head ($200), a decent set of Cerwin Vega 5 X 7s ($100 on sale) and a cheap unpowered bass tube ($20 on sale). I had to make a small notch in the top of the factory speaker enclosures to accomodate the 5 x7s (weren't concours anyway), and the bass tube sits on the passenger floor leaving plenty of room for a passenger's legs. I'm tellinya, I could make your ears bleed w/ the top on, and with the top off at highway speeds, I can still crank it high enough to enjoy the tunes w/o distortion. boldblue.gif

Best off all, I don't worry everytime I park it w/ top off that I'll come back and find my high dollar system missing. I've probably lost 5 heads out of my 914s over the years, some worth enough money to make a younger version of me wanna kill somebody. Now, worst case scenario, I'm out $320.
McMark
I've never heard of a 200 watt head, especially for $200. I've heard of 50x4 watt heads, but that's 50 watts total, 12.5 watts per channel.
aircooledboy
I've heard of 50x4 watt heads, but that's 50 watts total

Ooopps. chair.gif

Sorry dude, I am NOT a stereo guru. My tiny little brain sees 50x4 on the face plate, I ASSUME that means 200. We all know what happens when you ass u me monkeydance.gif

All I know, it sounds great through those CVs and that cheap ass bass tube rocking nana.gif
skline
Well, in my defense, I only did car stereos till like 90, I started doing custom systems in Porsche, BMW, Lambohrgini, Ferrari and Mazerati from about 1979 on. I have done all american cars too and the rice burners. The company I worked for sold Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC and Sony. The Eclipse unit you referred to is Tiwanese crap. I would rather have an audiovox unit. If you want cheap, then just go to the swap meet and pick up anything that plays MP3's. I bought one for a car I sold so I could keep my Sony unit. I paid $59.00 for it and I have never seen a bigger POS in my life. As for the first unit on the market that played MP3, it was not Kenwood, it was Aiwa. They were the first to release a unit that played MP3. If you want reliability and a good price, go with the Sony, if you want to pay top dollar for a name,, by the Alpine, I can assure you that mine will sound as good or better. Bring your car down to the WCC 2005 and we will compare the systems.
McMark
Maybe we should have a stereo award at WCC 2005. happy11.gif

Chris, I wasn't trying to come down hard on you. biggrin.gif I had an Eclipse in my last 914 and it rocked pretty hard as well. Had the speakers in the doors though. There really is no better place for the speakers. If only you didn't have to destroy your doors to put them in.
jfort
Let me ask you experts: I thought I heard about a subwoofer that could be made with smaller drivers and PVC pipe that could possible fit behind the seats. Anyone heard of such a thing? Any plans? I NEED BASE.
JmuRiz
Unless that speaker is about 1/2" think it wouldn't fit behind my seats...mine are all the way back, now that I have my Konig's in. And with my stockers they'd have to be about 1.5" deep on the bottom and .5" on top. A wild bass enclosure would work, but not worth the trouble (it'd be like the Bose wave radio w/ the sub right). I'd go with the morphspectra or some other custom bass solution, I have a Bazooka right in front of the passenger seat, takes up 0 legroom biggrin.gif
skline
Well, if it is all about sound, who cares about the passenger anyway. They are not diriving so they can be a little inconvenienced. Actually, My stereo in my yellow one cranked, I had no problem hearing it with the top off and it was clear. I had made 6X9 panels for the factory location and no amp. Flying down the freeway at 85-90 I could hear it with no problem. The bass wasnt pounding like a woofer box would but it sounded pretty clean and clear. The Chalon will have my full attention to detail and have a custom sound solution built in. I will post pictures of it when I get to that point. Film at 11.
mike_the_man
Just to throw my $.02 in. I bought a JVC MP3 deck for my car for $150 brand new, and that's in Canadian dollars, so you americans should be able to find one even cheaper. It has a remote, dual pre-outs, and 4 speaker outputs. So far it hasn't skipped, and it seems pretty easy to use. When I was looking, I looked at Sony and Alpine, and personally I didn't like the Sony, and the Alpines were expensive.
aircooledboy
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Jul 6 2004, 10:36 PM)
Chris, I wasn't trying to come down hard on you.

Don't sweat it Mark. No offense taken dood. beerchug.gif

I really thought I had a 200 watt deck. It just didn't meant much to me. I bought this rascal on the advice of a stereo geek friend of mine. Last time I knew anything about car stereos, CDs were still something you only read about in Popular Science magazine. w00t.gif I do still know what sounds good, and I was just trying to describe that parts of my budget friendly system. HEY!! WHERES THE HEADBANGER SMILEY DUDE????? Oh well, this works smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.